Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #46
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
It's a personal preference really I prefer amoled screens myself they have the best blacks and the most vivid colours, I've seen other people arguing super lcd etc is better but those all look kind of washed out and dull to me now.
Indeed. Super LCD tend to be more accurate with colors, but amoled have deeper blacks and more vibrant colors, albeit not as true to life.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #47
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Indeed. Super LCD tend to be more accurate with colors, but amoled have deeper blacks and more vibrant colors, albeit not as true to life.
I love the way the devices are going, except this leaving out the removable storage.

If I list my own non starters especially for a phone, they are:

1. non removable storage.
2. non removable batteries.
3. odd ball connectors. (usb is best for power and for data)
4. screens that wash out bad in sunlight
5. short battery life

Everything else is now being provided pretty well by the manufacturers except they are making bad choices on my little list.

Yes, there are work arounds for those non starters, but who wants to bother.

Oh and I have had good results with LG phones, but likewise with Nokia and Motorola. (Just don't go swimming with them.)
(Last night I bought a $3 waterproof pouch for my phone from ebay.)

Last edited by frahse; 11-01-2012 at 11:46 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #48
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
2. non removable batteries.
The biggest no-no for me.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #49
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
* Pure Android
* Timely software updates
* High end hardware
* $350 price tag
* No contract
* Cheaper monthly expenditures (via TMo)

For me, all these far outweigh the drawbacks of the N4.

I think I'm going to wait a few months though and see if they retire the 8GB model in favor of a 32GB model like they did with the N7.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #50
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I cannot tell you the number of times I was able to fix my Thunderbolt by simply taking our the battery.
Since I have rooted my S2 I have to say it gets stuck once in a while and being able to remove the battery indeed is a must have.

Does the Nexus 4 come with root access? If it did I guess I could live with a built-in one...

Last edited by miquele; 11-02-2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: typo
miquele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #51
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquele View Post
Does the Nexus 4 come with root access? If it did I guess I could live with a built-in one...
Nexus (nexii?) devices are extremely easy to root. They come with the option to unlock the bootloader and, once you've done that, you can boot in a custom recovery and from there just flash the necessary binaries and off you go. It's a 2 minutes job, I've done it several times. The only caveat is that unlocking the bootloader performs a factory reset, so everything (apps, data, ...) is gone, so you have to backup first.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #52
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I agree. Although I think that the Nexus 7 is a yawner, I was quite hopeful when I saw the N4 and the price. Those hopes were dashed when I saw the limited sizes, no microSD, and no replaceable battery.
Your a funny chap but inconsistent with your information as you only tell the full story about all the Kindle fire HD floors in the amazon section of the forums

How's the list coming of App that cant be side loaded
or the fact that Apps that are side loaded display badly.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157358

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194701

WillysJeepMan
Quote:
How so? I find Amazon products to be MORE protected.
The thing that I find most irritating about the Kindle Fire is that it treats sideloaded media as if it has a deadly virus and needs to be quarantined. The KF does not integrate books and videos from non-Amazon sources. It does a fair job with music though.

Last edited by darksaber35; 11-02-2012 at 07:52 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #53
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Google Nexus 4 Review by Daniel Berg (Nov 2012)

Quote:
Pros: Sharp 4.7-inch HD screen; Sharp colorful screen with good viewing angles; Improved Google Now assistant; Speedy and smooth performance

Cons: Competitors have more innovative features; Dull camera images ; No LTE support; Mediocre audio quality

The Verdict: The Google Nexus 4's swift performance, bright and crisp display and Android 4.2 software make it a good choice for Android purists, but the lack of 4G LTE is a letdown.

Verdict

For those wanting a pure Android experience, as Google intended, the Nexus 4 is a strong choice. The 1.5-GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor and 2GB of RAM make applications run quickly on an already buttery smooth OS. The Google Now and camera app enhancements are also welcome, even if the camera itself doesn't wow. We also look forward to using the new lock screen widgets. Ultimately, though, the Nexus 4 doesn't feel as cutting edge or as innovative as the Samsung Galaxy S III.

While T-Mobile customers may be satisfied with HSPA+ speeds, those interested in purchasing the unlocked version of this device will need to weigh having the latest and greatest software versus not being able to take advantage of 4G LTE speeds. iPhone owners don't need to make that trade-off. Still, for $199, the Nexus 4 delivers an always-up-to-date Android experience running on solid hardware.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #54
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Nexus 4 Review by Vincent Nguyen (Nov 2012)

Quote:
Google is up to its fourth Nexus smartphone, and the LG Nexus 4 faces a very different mobile world from the heady days of the Nexus One. Back then, Google’s Nexus led the field in specifications, a deliberate kick to manufacturers to be more imaginative with their Android devices. The Nexus 4, however, faces ambitious and best-selling Android phones (not to mention the iPhone 5, and the launch of Windows Phone 8) that are already capable and compelling. Does the new Nexus have a place in the mobile market? Read on for our full review.

Wrap-up

The LG Nexus 4 and Android 4.2 Jelly Bean are a very strong combination. LG’s flagship hardware is capable of a smoothness we’ve only really seen hinted at with the effects of Project Butter until now; on the S4 Pro chipset it simply flies. Meanwhile, the gradual refinement of Android itself is more than welcome, and though Photo Sphere is undoubtedly a gimmick, features like Gesture Type make a noticeable difference to the usability of the phone.

That makes it all the more frustrating that so few people will have access to Android 4.2. With so few devices updated to even the previous version of Jelly Bean, the saga of Android fragmentation shows little sign of ending. Google’s strategy to address that appears to be more affordable hardware, though it remains to be seen whether the company can make unlocked devices popular in a way that it failed to manage at the start of the Nexus project.

None of that takes away from how capable the LG Nexus 4 is, however, and how keenly priced. Nexus devices are already appealing, being as they are at the front of the line for new Android updates, but until now there’s always been a compromise somewhere along the way. With the Nexus 4, the compromise is as small as its ever been, and the fact that it’s so very affordable makes it strongly recommended for those wanting the best of Android today.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #55
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Will someone tell me what an LTE connection gives over 3G?

Do all you dudes run 4 GB (or more) Blu Ray movies on your phone?

Only have 16 MB jpgs of your children and grandchildren up on the cloud?

What is the concern? Or is it just the fever to be the "mostest?"
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #56
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
What kind of screen does the Garmin and TomTom Gps units use?

They do really well in the sun. Especially the Garmin.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:52 AM   #57
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
The problem with LTE is that it is a completely new radio network and there is currently no voice over LTE. The "no voice" is usually not a problem, as the LTE radio chipsets in phones can fall back to 3G or 2G. The plus for LTE is it is much much faster than 3G, so you can use up your months data allotment in a few minutes.
IMHO, I find the 3G extensions HSDPA or HSDPA+ to be plenty fast enough for a phone.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #58
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post

Do all you dudes run 4 GB (or more) Blu Ray movies on your phone?

Only have 16 MB jpgs of your children and grandchildren up on the cloud?

What is the concern? Or is it just the fever to be the "mostest?"
LTE is not the holly grail of networks yet .
LTE connections are Supposed to be 4X times faster than 3G .Note that as the coverage for most countries is very poor it automatically drops down to 3G when the LTE signal is lost ,so your more expensive LTE service will be on 3G a lot in countries like the UK ,Germany and many more for the foreseeable future until they fully establish there new networks.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/1...hspa_spec.html

HSPA+42 Speed that comes with the Nexus 4
HSPA+ 42 is around 2x ++ faster than 3G BUT in tests it has not only matched some LTE services but in some cases actually delivered better performance.

HSPA+ 42 networks have already established themselves in a number of countries and even in the UK offer much more coverage than LTE,there are also more phone company's using HSPA+ 42.

Well i think 4GB rips are overkill for a small screen like a smart phone.
Almost all my movie rips take up about 800MB -1.4GB at most and they look great on my 7 inch screen which has a resolution of 1280x800, 216ppi ,I would only use 4GB blue ray rips for large screen tv as that is the only place you will notice the difference really.

Last edited by darksaber35; 11-03-2012 at 05:48 AM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #59
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Most of the reviews are coming from us based sites but I think the real effect of nexus 4 will be in the rest of the world where phones are bought sans contract. A phone for less than $400 that has specs comparable to phones that are being sold for $700-$900. 4G is at least 3-4 years away in many countries so lack of 4g should not be stopping many of them.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #60
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Nexus (nexii?) devices
The plural of nexus is nexuses in both British and American English.

The phrase Nexus devices is correct, since the number of devices requires the plural form but the kind of devices does not.

If you were referring to a number of different devices using the type of model alone as a metonym, you'd refer to them as Nexuses. If you wished to coin a sort of term of venery for the devices (as if your gadgets were critters), you might say a coruscation of Nexuses.

If they were all the same kind of device, the number alone would be plural: a quiver of Nexus 4s.

In the writings of philosopher/mathematician Alfred Whitehead, the plural form of nexus is indicated only by a circumflex in place of the u (i.e., nexûs), but I've yet to see that form appear anywhere else. Perhaps you'd find it in philosophy which incorporates his ideas (or in close critical and historical writing about it).

Because his work was interdisciplinary, Whitehead was concerned with creating a metaphysics (philosophy) of patterns (mathematics), hence his specific use of terms and even characters.

His use of nexus refers to a particular kind of interrelation between what he calls actual entities, or real events. We're unlikely to connect that to Google except in a metaphysical poem about smartphones or simply to make other people scratch their heads.

Long ago, in an anthology of philosophy which included excerpts from Whitehead, I was startled to find what had to have been a misprint: the plural use of the phrase they are nexus -- not to suggest a group of people's identification with a single nexus (or that they've "become" one metaphorically) but rather to indicate that a number of things are nexuses.

And now back to our regular feature.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-03-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nexus 4