Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
MatYadabyte
Zealot
MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

TomeRaider to go open source

Hi Folks

I am currently writing a novel (amongst other things) and don't have the time to see the development of TomeRaider on these platforms:

Palm
S60
Windows
(I'm not sure what's happening with the Iphone and Android live versions but I am open to suggestions...)

So I figure if anyone wants to have the source code to continue developing these as Free and Open Source then let me know and I would be glad to make this happen

I also have the name mobilereader.org (which I have had for years) which I would be happy to hand over to the Mobile Reader community if we felt that would be a better name than TomeRaider.

Anyways... maybe this will gain no interest. My intentions are wholesome

Thanks

Mat Ripley
CEO Yadabyte.com
http://twitter.com/matripley
MatYadabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
jotache
jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
TomeReader?
jotache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
TomeRaider. Been around forever and a day, ever since the days of ancient British Psion handheld devices in the 80s, I believe. Largely used for reference-type books. Excellent program.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-12-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Typo.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:25 AM   #4
MatYadabyte
Zealot
MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
TomeRaider. Been around forever and a day, ever since the days of ancient British Psion handheld devices in the 80s, I believe. Largely used for reference-type books. Excellent program.
Not quite the 80's! Since about 1997 when I did the first one on the Psion Series 5.

There are many thousands of free Tomeraider ebook and e reference files on

www.tomeraider.com
www.memoware.com

Thanks

Mat
Old 11-13-2009, 04:37 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My mistake, Mat; it just feels like forever . I have fond memories of using on my Psion 5!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
jotache
jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jotache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I said "Tomereader?" I meant to answer the comment below. In other words that TomeReader is perhaps a more suitable name than the one suggested.

Apologies for any confusion.

P.S. I also have been using TomeRaider for many years, starting with my Psions.

I also have the name mobilereader.org (which I have had for years) which I would be happy to hand over to the Mobile Reader community if we felt that would be a better name than TomeRaider.
jotache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
RichyRich
Connoisseur
RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
How about open sourcing NewsRaider as well, since it hasn't been developed in a couple of years. I would still be using it if it didn't demand to update the profiles from a remote server. Still, it was nice to be able to cache all the web pages without all the ad junk.
RichyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
MatYadabyte
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyRich View Post
How about open sourcing NewsRaider as well, since it hasn't been developed in a couple of years. I would still be using it if it didn't demand to update the profiles from a remote server. Still, it was nice to be able to cache all the web pages without all the ad junk.

I loved Newsraider (I'm biased, of course)... but really it became redundant after Google Reader, I feel. I'm happy to release the code for that too, but I think its wise to focus on Open Sourcing TomeRaider first

Mat
Old 11-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
MatYadabyte
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My mistake, Mat; it just feels like forever . I have fond memories of using on my Psion 5!
Mee too! It was the first reader to get multi megabyte files on a handheld! Ahh nostalgia.. now the covers of Ebooks are probably multi-megabytes:P

Mind you its still the only way to get the full text of the Wikipedia on a handheld as far as I know?

Mat
Old 03-10-2010, 04:31 AM   #10
zdavatz
Connoisseur
zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPhone, HTC D2 not Sony.
TomeRaider definitely needs to get more OpenSource. The functionalities are good, but I can hardly find any descriptions on how to create a TR4 book. Any Feedback is welcome.
zdavatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:01 AM   #11
MatYadabyte
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdavatz View Post
TomeRaider definitely needs to get more OpenSource. The functionalities are good, but I can hardly find any descriptions on how to create a TR4 book. Any Feedback is welcome.
I am happy make it open source!

But it needs developers to move it forwards.

It could be the premier open source platform. There are already thousands of books available for it.

I have the sourcecode here if anyone wants to own that project

Thanks

Mat
Old 03-12-2010, 02:14 AM   #12
zdavatz
Connoisseur
zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zdavatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPhone, HTC D2 not Sony.
Dear Mat

I suggest you release the source code to GitHub under GPLv2.

Once it is out there, the developers will come.

All our source-code can be found here:

http://scm.ywesee.com

I really recommend git as source-code management tool.

Best
Zeno
zdavatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:33 AM   #13
MatYadabyte
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdavatz View Post
Dear Mat

I suggest you release the source code to GitHub under GPLv2.

Once it is out there, the developers will come.

All our source-code can be found here:

http://scm.ywesee.com

I really recommend git as source-code management tool.

Best
Zeno

Hi Zeno

Thanks for the info. If you would like to help with this that would be great

Best wishes

Mat
Old 10-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
lscfr
lscfr began at the beginning.

Hi !

Very interesting thread !
What happened later ?

Is Tomeraider still available ?
What about android and iphone ?
How to make or compile anew personal .tr3 files in .tr4 format ?

Thanks

Lscfr
lscfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #15
tsneller
tsneller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
TomeRaider Source Conversion

Hi Mat,

You may remember me - Did a lot of Beta testing of TR2 and TR3.

More than happy to help with trying to do more development of TR. Very keen to see it on Android.

In the meantime, is anyone interested in adding TomeRaider as a Source format for Calibre. I have hundreds of books in TR2/TR3 source format, which I woul love to publish into Kindle and other formats, but I just don't have the time to do it manually.

The format is very simple - Only half a dozen or so commands to code for.
tsneller is offline   Reply With Quote