Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #1156
trilla
trilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Simple Touch GL, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Enable 'airplane mode' -
Download from Amazon the 5.3.1 update package to your PC -
Put a copy of that at the root of USB storage - right next to 'documents' - (NOT IN, NEXT TO) -
Eject, unplug USB, home -> menu -> settings -> menu -> update Kindle.

Now report your results at that point.

Keep 'airplane mode' enabled until the JBpatch for 5.3.3 is released.

Q? Do you have the new Launcher installed?
If so, there may be an update enable/disable 'helper' available in the future.
Thank you for advice. Unfortunately, airplane mode is not a good solution for me. I actively use 'Send to my Kindle' functionality — it's really cool feature.

Are you talking about Unified Applications Launcher? I don't use it, but if such helper will be implemented I will definitely install it.
trilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #1157
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
A radical solution (as suggested by DuckieTigger some time ago via PM [no, I didn't forget it... thanks for the idea!]) is to delete the /etc/uks/pubprodkey*.pem files. At least in theory, this should prevent the Kindle from installing updates signed with Amazon's official key - much like it prevents the installation of custom packages when the pubdevkey01.pem is absent.

I'm not 100% sure though, so I'll give this a shot when I get home and let you know.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #1158
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
What do you want? an on-the-fly OTA disabler.

A FAT based file check solution already exists. DISABLE_OTA on the /mnt/us IIRC with a tiny patch to the OTA code.

caveats: Certainly Amazon will check this underlying code file for integrity at point of update so it WILL require rollback for a non-erroring update.
Which is a pain. That is the reason I vote we won't be including this. Messy.

Ah it's here <-- Try that

here is an alternate technical way: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...93#post2008593

Hope that helps.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #1159
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
... delete the /etc/uks/pubprodkey*.pem files...

I'm not 100% sure though, so I'll give this a shot when I get home and let you know.
by "delete" He meant "Backup and rename responsibly before any testing" : D

teeheehee
Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #1160
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
What do you want? an on-the-fly OTA disabler. [...]

here is an alternate technical way: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...93#post2008593
Yeah, with constant questions about disabling OTA I'm feeling just like it was never posted. Hint: it provides a way to introduce minimal changes just to disable automatic updating leaving ability for manual updating with Amazon's bundles. It works on any 5.x.x.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #1161
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Yeah, with constant questions about disabling OTA I'm feeling just like it was never posted. Hint: it provides a way to introduce minimal changes just to disable automatic updating leaving ability for manual updating with Amazon's bundles. It works on any 5.x.x.
Agreed it is more "low impact" right now to the end user and displays greater surgical exactitude in it's intent and execution.

Perhaps a toggle wouldn't be out of the question. I would prefer to nerf something utterly transparent and ephemeral however. like hosts or something. Any thoughts on making it a bit more "ghost-like" to the next major update. I should go check the last few hash checks for the Touch updates. no doubt hosts was on this list. Or now I've typed this - if it isn't currently it will be soon. lol.

So yeah. great work. good thoughts.
making it bullet-proof and end-user resistant, discuss : D
Old 01-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #1162
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilla View Post
Thank you for advice. Unfortunately, airplane mode is not a good solution for me. I actively use 'Send to my Kindle' functionality — it's really cool feature.
Its your choice either JBpatch or 5.3.3 with wifi on.
At least at the moment, that is your only choice, pick one.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #1163
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 3.2.0

So, here's a new version. New features:
  1. Supports Paperwhite 5.3.3 (the same 4 patches that are available on other 5.3.x firmwares).
  2. Supports installation on canadian (Wifi+3G) Paperwhites
  3. New option in hyphenation patch to allow for ragged justification in some circumstances, instead of forcing fully-justified text.

Concerning that last item: the option is disabled by default - simply because I personally prefer full justification, and I believe that it looks best in most circumstances (and most languages). But some people prefer ragged edges, especially for languages which tend to contain long words, such as german. Anyway, the option is now there, so you can choose whatever you like best.

If you are upgrading from a previous version of JBPatch, you might not see the correct descriptions for the new option. See the relevant upgrade notes in the first post to find out how to fix this. In short, you'll need to update your localization files. Then, for everything to settle, go into that option once and set it to your preferred value.

Other solutions are:
  • uninstall and reinstall JBPatch. You will lose all (personalized) JBPatch settings, though.
  • rm /var/local/jbpatch/com.mobileread.ixtab.patch.hyphenation-*.txt; restart framework

Finally, a note to translators: there are a few new phrases to be localized, please update them on Transifex. Thanks! (The german translation is already done, but the rest is missing).

EDIT: Whoops, I got confused by my own version numbering . This has been online for a short while as "version 3.1.2" (at least according to the file name), but internally it was labelled as 3.2.0. So, just for the record, and for the 3 people who already downloaded it: the packages labelled 3.1.2 actually contained version 3.2.0.

Last edited by ixtab; 01-30-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #1164
twobob

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ixtab again.
Which is just wrong.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #1165
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
by "delete" He meant "Backup and rename responsibly before any testing" : D

teeheehee
Yes, I meant removing it from the locker, I might have skipped the backup part. If that works, then it should be really easy to utilize that in a ON/OFF script. (The whole idea was: remove Amazon key from the locker, unpack new update file, add in a patch to install the jailbreak again as last step and remove Amazon key again). That modified update file could not be distributed though (copyright and all) - but a patch file for exploded update.bin can be. (or preferably a drop in folder)

And it might not be able to fully update without using the Amazon key, that might have been the reason it got filed away by ixtab in the first place initially.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #1166
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
And it might not be able to fully update without using the Amazon key, that might have been the reason it got filed away by ixtab in the first place initially.
Naah, it wasn't. The reason was simply lack of time to test it
Old 01-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #1167
trilla
trilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmostrilla has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Simple Touch GL, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
So, here's a new version. New features:
  1. Supports Paperwhite 5.3.3 (the same 4 patches that are available on other 5.3.x firmwares).
  2. Allows installation on canadian (Wifi+3G) Paperwhites
  3. New option in hyphenation patch to allow ragged justification in some circumstances, instead of forcing fully-justified text.
Wow! Thank you, ixtab! Installed — everything works like a charm. And especially thanks for new forced ragged option: for russian texts it's very actual too.

Thanks for your advices about OTA updates too. I didn't see that post with solution. I'll try it.
trilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #1168
eureka
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The whole idea was: remove Amazon key from the locker, unpack new update file, add in a patch to install the jailbreak again as last step and remove Amazon key again). That modified update file could not be distributed though (copyright and all) - but a patch file for exploded update.bin can be. (or preferably a drop in folder)
PW updates are recovery updates, meaning theirs validity is also checked with key contained in kernel image.

So you can't repack PW updates without either converting them into non-recovery updates (non-trivial task) or replacing currently installed stock kernel with modified, containing non-Amazon key for checking recovery update validity (over-engineered solution, IMHO; it's also a little bit frightening to flash new kernel on PW without easy access to USB downloader mode in case of accidental failure).
Old 01-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #1169
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
PW updates are recovery updates, meaning theirs validity is also checked with key contained in kernel image.

So you can't repack PW updates without either converting them into non-recovery updates (non-trivial task) or replacing currently installed stock kernel with modified, containing non-Amazon key for checking recovery update validity (over-engineered solution, IMHO; it's also a little bit frightening to flash new kernel on PW without easy access to USB downloader mode in case of accidental failure).
Ah thank you. I remember reading something (it quite possibly was you yourself) mentioning that those full updates use a different mode than the options the jailbreak offers. (That was after I already sent the idea to ixtab, that is why I think he might have left it at that)
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #1170
eureka

Quote:
I remember reading something (it quite possibly was you yourself) mentioning that those full updates use a different mode than the options the jailbreak offers.
AFAIR it was NiLuJe, but maybe NiLuJe also remember somebody else

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks