Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #76
GabrialDestruir
GabrialDestruir began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgun View Post
Okay, first off thanks to the community for keeping this thread alive. I am very pleased with the progress thus far. I'm also happy to announce that I too have entered the fray. I used the nookdev instructions to gain access via adb. Then, I used slm's walkthrough for gaining superuser, installing launcher, soft keys, etc. I took emt's suggestion for the Zeam 2.88 launcher and I'm pretty happy with that too.

I've got the Amazon appstore, Root Explorer, and Dolphin Browser HD apps running via adb install. I then used the Amazon appstore to successfully install Docs to Go and the Kindle app.

I also tried to install tweetdeck and the official twitter app via Amazon and neither of those apps would install successfully.

I was able to install Google Reader and Google Books apks via adb. Those apps install successfully. But when you launch them for the first time, they are looking for account sync information and I can't seem to get past the prompts. I saw the Books app running in one of the videos. So, there must be a way.

Via adb, I also tried to install 2 different versions of the Gmail apk. One of the apks looked kind of janky. But the other, Gmail.v.2.2.1.apk, was from a reputable source. The adb shell returns the following error message. Anybody know what this means?
Code:
scott@gun-2:~$ adb install /home/scott/nook-touch/apk/Gmail.v.2.2.1.apk 
517 KB/s (1166400 bytes in 2.202s)
	pkg: /data/local/tmp/Gmail.v.2.2.1.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK]
If you look on XDA, there's a few different threads there including one that states how to get things like Gapps working (Gmail, Market, Talk)
GabrialDestruir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #77
truewt
truewt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Folks, I have a huge issue here..

My "All-New-Nook" is now locked out, unable to register to B&N as it reverts with an:

Error
Sorry we're having trouble setting up your Nook. Please shutdown the device and try again.

If the problem persists, contact Customer Support at 1-800-843-2665.

Anyone else faced the same problem?

Would rooting/hacking it allow me to bypass this registration with B&N? My Nook is effectively DEAD, and I want to find a way to revive it

I am based outside the States, but this shouldn't be an issue as there are many non-US Nook users..

Please, can anybody advice!!!!
truewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #78
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by truewt View Post

My "All-New-Nook" is now locked out, unable to register to B&N as it reverts with an:

Error
Sorry we're having trouble setting up your Nook. Please shutdown the device and try again.

Would rooting/hacking it allow me to bypass this registration with B&N? My Nook is effectively DEAD, and I want to find a way to revive it

I am based outside the States, but this shouldn't be an issue as there are many non-US Nook users..

There's a suggestion in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138264

Haven't seen any confirmations of success though.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #79
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
There's a suggestion in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138264

Haven't seen any confirmations of success though.
Rooting will allow you to bypass the BN Registration - you may wish to follow the exact procedure in this thread over on XDA-Developer with many thanks to GabrialDestruir, the genius who developed this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1132693

This works very nicely for rooting - I would read the entire thread carefully, then download TouchNooter 1.6.2.4 and have a go - it worked for me!

BTW, there is very little probability of bricking the STR - you may also want to try the following:

Hold down the two lower page turn buttons and the power button - let go the page turn buttons after five seconds - this will put the STR into complete recovery and reset to factory default condition - here's the thread, again on XDA:

Recovery.
Turn off.
Push power button and hold, then press and hold bottom left and right page buttons for 5 seconds.

Image posted in this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=40
Old 06-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #80
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Rooting will allow you to bypass the BN Registration - you may wish to follow the exact procedure in this thread over on XDA-Developer with many thanks to GabrialDestruir, the genius who developed this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1132693

This works very nicely for rooting - I would read the entire thread carefully, then download TouchNooter 1.6.2.4 and have a go - it worked for me!

BTW, there is very little probability of bricking the STR - you may also want to try the following:

Hold down the two lower page turn buttons and the power button - let go the page turn buttons after five seconds - this will put the STR into complete recovery and reset to factory default condition - here's the thread, again on XDA:

Recovery.
Turn off.
Push power button and hold, then press and hold bottom left and right page buttons for 5 seconds.

Image posted in this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=40
I just want to point out that if you bypass the B&N registration you will not be able to buy books or sync your library. The nook touch will only work with sideloaded content.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #81
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I just want to point out that if you bypass the B&N registration you will not be able to buy books or sync your library. The nook touch will only work with sideloaded content.
Once the system is rooted and stable AND near a convenient WiFi hot spot it can always be registered with BN
Old 06-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #82
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Once the system is rooted and stable AND near a convenient WiFi hot spot it can always be registered with BN
The rooting instructions indicate that you should register first. The reason, I believe, is that you can't do that afterwards. Make sure you can register after rooting if you want to go that route. These are the requirements, the first one is registration:
  • You must already have a registered Nook Simple Touch
  • You must have a Gmail/Youtube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N
  • Registration you should use that one for this process.
  • You must either have dd (Linux) or WinImage (Windows) software.
  • You must have an external microSDCard reader or this will not work. Do NOT use the Nook Simple Touch.
  • You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

Last edited by afv011; 06-25-2011 at 08:45 PM.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #83
truewt
truewt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
an external microsd and a microsdcard reader is necessary for the rooting?

B&N refuses to register my Nook. They have removed my account associated to my s/n of my nook but it still fails to register

I am desperate right now as to getting the nook to work again. I am alright with not being able to purchase books from B&N (because it is so difficult to purchase books from B&N in my country :/) but even so, in the future, I would not be able to purchase it on the web, then proceed to download it onto my nook? I believe I should still be able to do that right? (Because right now, I have to carry out these steps to bypass the IP restriction to buy books off B&N)

Thanks for the advice! I will read thru the instructions and hopefully get my nook working later!
truewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #84
eded333
eded333 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple TOuch
Quote:
Originally Posted by truewt View Post

Error

Dont know if you still have the issue (old thread) but if you still have it (I hope not) I can help.

First, shutdown completely the NST,
Start it.
At the same moment you see the screen flicker press quickly the right and left bottom buttons and hold them for 5 (or a bit more) seconds.
Its hard to get the timing at first, but with this you force format the /data partition.

If the problem still occurs and you havent made a backup, I suggest trying this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1289233
Which will restore /system

With this two methods you should have deleted and reverted your NST to total factory state.

I had a similar problem and I couldn't reset it with the normal method, so had to do this.
eded333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:19 AM   #85
pow001
pow001 began at the beginning.

Device: Barnes and noble
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgun View Post
I want to root the new nook "simple touch" reader and get it to run a custom rom, such as CM7, or a stock build of android. The reason is not to try and make a cheap e-ink tablet. I want the e-ink display and battery life of this device to run applications that are primarily focused on reading: gmail, calendar, Google Reader, Pulse, Twitter, wikidroid, Kindle for Android, Google Books, DocsToGo, and, of course, the nook app for Android.

I just want an open device. I want to be able to try new stuff, without waiting for manufacturer or carrier approval. I don't want to be locked into any one ecosystem of content.

Similar to the vectors available on the nook color, can this new device be rooted and modded? Is there interest in the community to do so?

Guys check out this page: http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/nook-touch-root.html --> easy steps on rooting
pow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #86
nook2
nook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Simple Touch
If I don't use any other format other than epub and have no use for the other ereader formats is there any reason to root?

What are you guys doing with your rooted nooks?
nook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #87
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I only rooted for dropbox and root explorer. I prefer to delete books straight from the device. I find the stock reader to be the best for reading and navigating epubs.
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #88
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by nook2 View Post
If I don't use any other format other than epub and have no use for the other ereader formats is there any reason to root?

Even if you just read epub
If you use coolreader you can set all the nook buttons to do different things.
And each button can have 3 options. So you get virtually something like 12 buttons. There is an option in coolreader to disable touch screen if you are in the habit touching the screen by mistake. You can add and use your own fonts. Manage ebook margin sizes individually instead of all the margins like in the original reader. Coolreader gives so many options.
I also use it for dropbox to download books and other apps as currently the market is not working for me. Tapatalk for browsing forums that I read. I Don't read manga much but they work great with comic reader mobi.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #89
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by nook2 View Post

Do you have an Android phone and/or tablet and any apps that you would enjoy on an e-ink screen? Only if you just want to read books, CoolReader is FANTASTIC and far surpasses the built-in reader.

You might be interested in this thread for ideas:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1176313
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #90
language gamer
language gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Touch, Pocketbook 360, ebookwise 1150 (retired)
I can't quite get the rooting right and I'd appreciate some help!

I managed to root successfully with touchnooter 1.11, but I haven't been able to install any apps at all. Whenever I try to use the keyboard to input any information into the browser (say, to log into android market), the system boots me back to the home screen. Sometimes the keyboard flashes for a second first.

Thanks!
language gamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook str, nook touch, simple touch reader, touch