Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
Maximzodal
Maximzodal began at the beginning.

Device: Not Yet
Amazon purchases perpetually PENDING

I have a new Kindle 3/WiFi. I'm visiting family in Austria. They have broadband but no WiFi. While here, I ordered a newspaper subscription and a few books using my Amazon USA account. My thinking was I could download them to the Kindle using USB. However, the selections are continually (12 days and counting) PENDING in the DELIVERY STATUS box and do not show in "YOUR ORDERS".

I can find nothing that indicates that what I want to do is forbidden. Surely I am missing something? I would love to be able to read an English language newspaper while here for another four weeks.

Kindle customer service apparently didn't read my query as they totally skipped over my problem and sent me a canned response about how to use USB.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Maxim
Maximzodal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
use the "contact me" feature in your account section
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I find it extremely puzzling that your purchases aren't showing up in "Your Orders." But the fact that they're all stuck in "Pending" mode doesn't surprise me at all if you have no wireless to connect to.

Normally, you would be able to download them to your PC and manually transfer them to your Kindle via USB by doing the following:

You need to log on to your Amazon's "Manage My Kindle" account and locate your list of purchases. Find the book you want, and on the left-hand side of the page, select "Transfer via computer" from the drop-down box. Then you'll be prompted to select which Kindle (if you have more than one registered) that you want to download it for.

Save the downloaded file to your computer and then copy it to your Kindle's 'Documents' folder (your Kindle will appear just like a flash drive does when you connect it to a PC via USB).

But if you don't see your books in "Your Orders", you're kind of out of luck. You could try purchasing something new and immediately select "transfer via computer" (instead of delivering to your Kindle) and see if that works. Because really... if you have no wireless to connect to, there's no sense in having new books delivered to your WiFi-only Kindle.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
I haven't had to use Kindle Customer Service myself, but everything I've read from others here would indicate that their email support is a bit hit and miss, whereas their telephone support is excellent, so I'd definitely second Kindlekitten's recommendation to use the "contact me" feature, and speak to someone directly in Kindle CS.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:36 AM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Amazon's customer service is completely worthless unless you actually call them.

If you send them an email, they just send copy and pasted emails.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 04:50 AM   #6
Maximzodal

Called Kindle customer service using Skype. After being transferred several times, they finally suggested changing the country from the US to Austria. The strange thing is that two titles I ordered after arriving in Austria had downloaded OK. The others remained pending. Amazon CS told me that Amazon allowed a couple of downloads but then required I change the country. Well, changing the country to Austria didn't work.

Before calling CS again, my son turned on Airport (WiFi) on his Mac. After many changes and attempts, it turned out the Mac protocol is different and the Kindle can't connect through Airport! Ever the techonogeek, he tried connecting wirelessly through his iPhone. Bingo! The download was slow (3G and in a small village between tall ridges) but it worked!!

Bottom line is that downloading content via USB didn't work and Amazon was no help. Apparently, content bought through the Amazon site sits there pending until there is a WiFi connection. Also reinforced that where there is the will there is a way.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

Max
Old 03-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Glad you got it sorted out, Max.

The fact that you were able to receive the items you purchased once you connected your Kindle via WiFi makes me suspect that, when you bought those items, you didn't change the "Deliver to" setting to specify that you wanted the items delivered to a computer (to then transfer them to your Kindle via USB). Reading back through your posts, it's not clear if you did that, or if you simply purchased the items and left the "Deliver To" setting specifying your Kindle?

It's possible you haven't noticed the "Deliver To" drop down - lots of people miss it at first (including me!). In case that's what happened here, I've attached a small screen shot showing the "Deliver To" drop down - just below the One-Click purchase button on an ebook's listing page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amazon-deliver-to.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	68215  
Old 03-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I got into the "deliver to" issue when I was keeping wifi off to avoid the 3.1 update but was still ordering FREEBIES. I wanted the books "delivered to my pc for my k3" rather than either wifi or for the kindle-4-pc version. You definitely have to be deliberate about getting it right.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
hmm - glad you got it worked out but it still doesn't exactly make sense to me. Something just went wonky I guess.

My son has taken a K1 to the UK - where it obviously cannot make a connection. We pre-order books and they show as perpetually as waiting in the queue list in the Manage My Kindle page.

BUT

We can still go to the Archive list and select "Download to Computer" and then transfer via USB cable from there.

Anyway, no way do you want to forever leave that address as Austria. Get everything cleared and working and become an American again on the Manage My Kindle webpage.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
Maximzodal

Oh boy. It WAS not downloading to the computer instead of the Kindle that got me! I was thinking that was for reading on a PC and didn't look closer. A million thanks to DMSmillie! Too bad Amazon customer support couldn't have caught that. I hope someone at Amazon monitors this site.

Ain't the internet great?

Thanks Everyone!

Maxim
Old 03-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximzodal View Post
A million thanks to DMSmillie!
You're very welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximzodal View Post
Ain't the internet great?
Ain't it just? Guaranteed to learn 10 new things before breakfast every day.

Tags
amazon pending, foreign travel, usb