Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
se007en
se007en began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Need help with bookmarks (PRS-650)

I have a Sony PRS-650 and am still new to the device. I was wondering if anyone can help me with a few questions pertaining to bookmarks. When I return to a book I was reading, the device automatically takes me to the last page I was reading. This could be problematic if someone reads on further without me knowing since I could lose my place in the book. So my questions are:

1) How do I find my bookmarked pages in a book?
2) Is there a way for the reader to automatically take me to a bookmarked page?

Thanks in advance to all those that reply.
se007en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
jlbfoot
idiot
jlbfoot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 300, and 650
Go to your home page and select "Notes". That will give you a list of all bookmarks, with the most recent being at the top of the list. I know of no way that you can automatically have the reader go to a bookmark (I assume you mean to jump to a bookmark when you turn it on, or come out of sleep mode). When I finish a reading session, I generally bookmark AND put the reader in sleep mode, but that is probably overkill for most. A touchscreen can inadvertently turn pages pretty easy though.

On reading your question again, you CAN simply select the bookmark from the "Notes" section and the reader will take you to that page. That is, you don't have to manually "thumb through" pages to get there. The bookmark in "Notes" is a link to that page.

Last edited by jlbfoot; 12-06-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: think I finally understood the question
jlbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
You can also see the bookmarks in the book you are currently reading by hitting the options button and selecting "notes". The difference between this and choosing "notes" for the homescreen is that choosing "notes" on the homescreen will show you the bookmarks in all your books while choosing options/notes from within a book only lists the bookmarks in that particular book.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
jlbfoot
idiot
jlbfoot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 300, and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
You can also see the bookmarks in the book you are currently reading by hitting the options button and selecting "notes". The difference between this and choosing "notes" for the homescreen is that choosing "notes" on the homescreen will show you the bookmarks in all your books while choosing options/notes from within a book only lists the bookmarks in that particular book.

dordale
You know, I thought I noticed that recently. Nice to see it confirmed in writing. That makes life much easier if you have bookmarked several books. Thanks!
jlbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
This is one area where I don't like the design. It took me a while to realize "bookmarks" were "notes". Also, a list of bookmarks should be up one level in the menu. There are too many steps required to see your bookmarks
- Options
- Notes
- View List
- Select bookmark

A list of bookmarks should be directly under the Options level. I'm hoping that might be something fixed with one of the alternative firmware efforts.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
se007en
se007en began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Thank you guys/gals for replying. I now know how to find my bookmarks!
se007en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:00 AM   #7
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
This is one area where I don't like the design. It took me a while to realize "bookmarks" were "notes". Also, a list of bookmarks should be up one level in the menu. There are too many steps required to see your bookmarks
- Options
- Notes
- View List
- Select bookmark

A list of bookmarks should be directly under the Options level. I'm hoping that might be something fixed with one of the alternative firmware efforts.
I agree in that I wish Bookmarks were a category of their own, separate from Notes. To me they are 2 different things. I know that you can sort by type, but it would be nice to go straight to bookmarks. I might be mistaken, but it seems like it takes an extra step to view the TOC.
Just curious, does anyone know if the "Home" screen can be customized? I'm not into thumbnails and would love to arrange the Home screen to reflect the options I use the most. I don't use thumbnails in my book lists, but at least they give you that choice. On the plus side, I love the standby screen!

I know that I can look this up in the user manual, but sometimes it's just easier to ask and help someone else that may be wondering the same thing.

Last edited by rebarnmom; 12-10-2010 at 02:04 AM. Reason: I just know someone's going to tell me to read the user's manual.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Thanks for this info! I got a refurbed PRS-650 when they couldn't replace the battery on my 505, and I've been going crazy trying to find my bookmarks! "Notes"? Whose idea was that?

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote