Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #20086
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: Ninety Percent of Everything by James Patrick Kelly, John Kessel & Jonathan Lethem.
A pleasant little novella, but just a bit of fun really.

Next, another long-standing unread from Fictionwise, a short story:
"The Fish Merchant" by Tobias S. Buckell
A very good short story, although the SF aspect is secondary.

And now, The Spartacus File by Lawrence Watt-Evans.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #20087
Melon Soda
★ Enjoy Your Reads! ★
Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Desktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
Baldacci has two mystery/suspense series that I have very much enjoyed. The very first book I bought for my Kindle was Stone Cold, the 3rd book in his Camel Club series. I had just finished reading the paperback of The Collectors and my brand-new Kindle 1st generation arrived in the mail, so I quickly bought the next book.

The Sixth Man was very good. It "stars" Sean King and Michelle Maxwell, both former Secret Service agents now working as Private Investigators. This particular book featured hi-tech anti terrorism, rogue federal executives, lots of conspiracy. I think my favorite in the series, though, was First Family.
Thank you so much! I'll check out some of the titles you mentioned like the Sixth Man! It sounds intriguing and like it'd be a fast-paced story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Everything by Stephen Leather is very, very good. Mostly thriller and mystery. Of course my favorite though is his autobiographical account of the scam of meeting and living with his Thai 'bar girl' wife. This scam has been repeated hundreds of times by hundreds of people. So many, in fact, that Leather originally gave the story away for free on his website to try to prevent the scam from being run on others. I personally know three men who fell prey to it! A very interesting read!
Stitchawl
Whoa! I didn't know about that! I think the account of the scam meeting would be worth checking out! So far I've only read a book or two in his Jack Nightingale series and Dan Shepherd series and I'd love to check out the rest of the series!
Melon Soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #20088
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And now, The Spartacus File by Lawrence Watt-Evans.
A very good SF/Dystopia/Revolution novel indeed. I like it a lot. Come to think of it, I think I like everything of his that I've read.

And now: Every Which Way But Dead by Kim Harrison. The third in her Rachel Morgan series. Unless things improve I won't bother with the rest. Rachel's whininess about her boyfriend troubles is irritating.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #20089
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry
--Ron Ronson

About one out of every 100 people is a psychopath. You probably know one. Or two.

Quote:
People who are psychopathic prey ruthlessly on others using charm, deceit, violence or other methods that allow them to get what they want. The symptoms of psychopathy include: lack of a conscience or sense of guilt, lack of empathy, egocentricity, pathological lying, repeated violations of social norms, disregard for the law, shallow emotions, and a history of victimizing others.
-- Robert Hare, Ph.D

Scary stuff. Now I'm stuck trying to analyze everyone around me to see if they are a psychopath. (And watching as the author hilariously points out psychopathic characteristics in himself.)

Some interesting stories in the book. 'Tony', tries to get out of a modest prison sentence by pleading insanity. Twelve years later, and he is still being held indefinitely, and can't convince the psychiatrists he is sane.

The psychopathic population or prisons runs about 15% vs 1% for the general population, and 3% for business management.

I had to add another book, Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths Go to Work, by Paul Babiak and Robert Hare, to my reading list.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #20090
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Hmm. No sign of the first one in the BC Library system, but a bunch of Howard Engle books. Unfortunately, the first one available is #5, A City Called July. Is this the sort of series that really needs to be read from the beginning? Or can I jump in at #5?
Well, that was quite a pleasure. The protagonist, Bennie Cooperman, is a bit of a zshlub, but quite Canadian. No shoot-em-up, no car chases, and really no violence.

Last edited by CRussel; 07-02-2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #20091
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I'm in chapter 69 of Dan Brown's Inferno, my first foray into the author's work. Builds up slowly and fully chichéd like a bad hollywood thriller, but it's gripping nonetheless. Part thriller and part tourist guide it's also partially a symbolic retelling of Dante's Inferno with Langdon almost in the same shoes of the poet... interesting.

Last edited by Namekuseijin; 07-01-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #20092
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry
--Ron Ronson

About one out of every 100 people is a psychopath. You probably know one. Or two.
the description given sounds a perfect fit for my ex-wife
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #20093
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
I'm in chapter 69 of Dan Brown's Inferno, my first foray into the author's work. Builds up slowly and fully chichéd like a bad hollywood thriller, but it's gripping nonetheless. Part thriller and part tourist guide it's also partially a symbolic retelling of Dante's Inferno with Langdon almost in the same shoes of the poet... interesting.
Thanks I have not decided if I want to read this book. I think I will wait a little longer after what you stated.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #20094
Melon Soda
★ Enjoy Your Reads! ★
Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
It's one of those book I have but haven't got around to reading yet! Ah... the backlog. I've read Dan Brown's other books before though, and they all makes good reads!
Old 07-01-2014, 11:35 PM   #20095
HudsonSpike
HudsonSpike began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD10
A very funny book by Adam Carolla, "In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks." Downloaded from the local Library. A good summer read that takes my mind off of the torrid weather we're having. Ought to be a great hurricane book too (Arthur).
HudsonSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #20096
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished B.J. Daniels' Rescue at Cardwell Ranch and Wedding at Cardwell Ranch. Nice light mysteries/romance.

Now reading a Star Trek novella, The More Things Change by Scott Pearson. It's about Christine Chapel and Spock!

Reading some short books since I don't have much time to read while helping my Mom move.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #20097
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Reading "Everything They had: Sports Writing From David Halberstam". This is a collection of newspaper columns and magazine articles on various sports, written by David Halberstam over a span of 50 years, and selected for book publication by Glenn Stout.

I've loved his baseball book "Summer of '49" for years, admired as his political and history work ("The Best and the Brightest", "The Fifties", "The Coldest Winter"), and didn't know that he had written so widely about sport other than baseball.

The organization of the book is by sport and theme, and all of the stories are short and stand-alone, so it is perfect for dipping into at random. Everything I've read so far is excellent - "The Basket-Case State" and "He Got a Shot in the NBA, and It Went In" about basketball, and "Homage to Patagonia" about fishing and watching "the Gigantes of New York play the Cuervos of Baltimore".

It's a great loss that we will have nothing new from him; he died in 2007.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #20098
Melon Soda
★ Enjoy Your Reads! ★

I'm stuck. I downloaded a batch of free e-Books from Kobo, and now that I've finished the Stephen Leather Hard Landing book, I don't know what to read next
Old 07-03-2014, 04:49 AM   #20099
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
And now: Every Which Way But Dead by Kim Harrison. The third in her Rachel Morgan series. Unless things improve I won't bother with the rest. Rachel's whininess about her boyfriend troubles is irritating.
It improved a bit, but I still feel the characterisation is a bit patchy. I'm not convinced by the world-building either.

Next Up: GrantVille Gazette #54, edited by Paula Goodlett.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #20100
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Weird Tales Vol. I by E.T.A. Hoffmann is what I'm currently reading. It was uploaded to MobileRead's Patricia Clark Memorial Library by crich70. Very strange stuff.

Vol.1: ePub / Kindle

Vol. 2: ePub / Kindle
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote