Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #1171
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
PW updates are recovery updates, meaning theirs validity is also checked with key contained in kernel image.
That's exactly what I wanted to verify. Because I dimly remembered the keys also being present in the kernel (that's the reason why some(?) official updates also work(ed?) when choosing "restart" instead of "update", while ours don't [error 003]).

So I used my Touch, downgraded it to (stock) 5.1.2, and removed the production keys. BTW, the Touch is really a bliss in that regard, because with USB downloader mode available now, it's almost impossible to permanently brick the device, or to lock yourself out... While I'm still treating my Paperwhite much like a raw egg.

Anyway, here are the results, trying to install the official 5.3.2 update on a stock 5.1.2 firmware with only the pubprodkey*.pem files removed:
  • Update your Kindle: error 007, as expected. Update file is deleted.
  • Restart: device reboots normally (without any error and without deleting the update file).

The conclusion is... well, it's that there is no conclusion. Removing those keys might work for preventing updates (at least for the update that I tested, it seemed to work), or it might not (because there are other update types which might still be installed because the kernel can verify them). I'm not adventurous enough to risk bricking my Paperwhite.

So... use eureka's method to disable OTA updates, or use iptables, or simply keep your device in airplane mode and/or unregistered. We didn't find the "golden" solution to unwanted updates yet.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #1172
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
That's exactly what I wanted to verify. Because I dimly remembered the keys also being present in the kernel (that's the reason why some(?) official updates also work(ed?) when choosing "restart" instead of "update", while ours don't [error 003]).

So I used my Touch, downgraded it to (stock) 5.1.2, and removed the production keys.
Currently available Touch updates are "plain" OTA updates, in-kernel-image-updater just skips them, so removing Amazon's keys from rootfs will certainly disable applying of Amazon's Touch updates. I was speaking about PW updates which are a bit "different beasts".

On PW without Amazon's keys update will fail when "Update your Kindle" will be selected, but it should work on reboot, because PW update bundles are recovery updates recognized by in-kernel-image-updater.

kindletool convert -i helps to distinct recovery updates. BTW, I guess, in-kernel-image-updater also have a strict filename pattern, so, I think, that's why updates with PW_ prefix didn't work.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #1173
qrti
qrti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
At first, thank you all and especially ixtab for his troublesome work!

I already had the current jailbreak and previous JBPatch version on my Kindle PW with firmware 5.3.1 and because new JBPatch was released I updated to firmware 5.3.3 and JBPatch 3.2. After 'refreshing' kindlet-jailbreak and localization files, all was well and functional again, even all my font, margin, etc. settings were restored.

Now trying the new justification setting in hyphenation patch.
Changing to 'ragged justification' in my mobi-files (floating text) does not make a difference, the text stays 'fully-justified'. After changing the option I did a 'System/Restart Framework' in JBPatch, also a 'Menu/System/Restart' effects nothing.

Any ideas?
qrti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #1174
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrti View Post
At first, thank you all and especially ixtab for his troublesome work!

I already had the current jailbreak and previous JBPatch version on my Kindle PW with firmware 5.3.1 and because new JBPatch was released I updated to firmware 5.3.3 and JBPatch 3.2. After 'refreshing' kindlet-jailbreak and localization files, all was well and functional again, even all my font, margin, etc. settings were restored.

Now trying the new justification setting in hyphenation patch.
Changing to 'ragged justification' in my mobi-files (floating text) does not make a difference, the text stays 'fully-justified'. After changing the option I did a 'System/Restart Framework' in JBPatch, also a 'Menu/System/Restart' effects nothing.

Any ideas?
The ragged is a fallback in desperate need. It only shows a left-aligned line when it absolutely has to. Similar to what the Kindle does by default. If a line would have too much whitespace it will display as left aligned. JBPatch does such a good job, that it rarely happens. You can force it by e.g. increase minimum first and last syllables to a big number like 5 or so. And then try it on a large font size, and you will see some lines in justified text that don't reach the right edge.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #1175
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you carefully read the description, it's about *occasionally* allowing left-aligned lines, not about having all lines left-aligned.

The text still is fully justified, except for lines where full justification would lead to huge gaps. This is actually the same as the Kindle does without the hyphenation patch - except that in that case, it's much more pronounced (i.e., happens more often, and more "visibly" - exactly *because* there is no hyphenation).

Anyway, quickly go forward through the pages, and you *will* find that some lines are ragged. It is most likely to affect the last line on a page.

Last edited by ixtab; 01-31-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #1176
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ Hehe echo someone?

MARCO ...
Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #1177
qrti
qrti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Thanks for the quick reply, question answered at best ... twice.

I see. I have to read this forum not only occasionally careful ;-)
qrti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #1178
DuckieTigger
Wizard

@qrti: No, you don't have to read it very careful. Just subscribe to this thread, read the last page, and then check every now and then what is new. This way you never miss if anything changes. Sometimes you will see the same question asked almost back to back.

@ixtab: maybe you should put that in the instructions as part of installation - to subscribe here so you know when a new feature is introduced.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #1179
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
@qrti....Sometimes you will see the same question asked almost back to back.
And sometimes answered almost back to back...
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #1180
flashmozzg
Enthusiast
flashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
^ Hehe echo someone?

MARCO ...
POLO
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #1181
alfarhan
Enthusiast
alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Right & Left Margins for PDF files are not working

@ixtab

The Top and Footer margins work perfect on ebooks and PDF whenever I modify them. Left & Right Margins didn't work with any PDF file. I set the value 0 and sometimes 5 for them but still the same result with some margins on the sides.
As you can see in the attached PDF, I trimmed the sides so I get no margin.

Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.3
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ??????? ???? ?? ??????.pdf (6.94 MB, 445 views)

Last edited by alfarhan; 02-01-2013 at 12:42 PM.
alfarhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #1182
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfarhan View Post
As you can see in the attached PDF, I trimmed the sides so I get no margin.

Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.3
That attachment looks like page images, not character based PDF.
(PDF can be either or both, images and/or characters).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #1183
alfarhan
Enthusiast
alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That attachment looks like page images, not character based PDF.
(PDF can be either or both, images and/or characters).
Yes, most of Arabic books available online are scanned images combined in a PDF. Is there a way to force the PDF to take 0 margin on both sides and I control the margin by trimming the PDF pages?
alfarhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #1184
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@DuckieTigger: You probably were on IRC the last time it wa smentionned .

@ixtab/eureka: I'm with eureka on that one, the updater run at boot, from the recovery shell in the initramfs, has stricter pattern-matching checks ('^update*.bin$', lowercase), and embeds its own set of keys, so we'd need a patched Kernel to run custom updates, as Yifan did for the whole "3.x-on-DX" thingy, and documented on his blog. It deletes anything that it doesn't like (wrong device code, wrong key, etc). Can't remember if the status of the auto-pilot updater is logged somewhere, but at the very least there's some stuff shown over a serial console .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-01-2013 at 01:40 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #1185
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfarhan View Post
Yes, most of Arabic books available online are scanned images combined in a PDF. Is there a way to force the PDF to take 0 margin on both sides and I control the margin by trimming the PDF pages?
Errm... not sure what to answer here. Anyway, you can verify that the margins patch is working correctly by trying the files from this post (only download the sample pdfs, don't pay attention to the hopelessly outdated text ). The idea with these pdfs is that the centered rectangle is always square, while the outer borders reach as far as they can (while maintaining page aspect ratio, of course).

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks