Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Yeah, I know, but I think they're carrying the "pure Google" thing a bit too far. The CDMA Galaxy Nexus caught a lot of flack, but at least it was available on the best network in the US. Smartphones are next to worthless without a good network.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Yeah, I know, but I think they're carrying the "pure Google" thing a bit too far. The CDMA Galaxy Nexus caught a lot of flack, but at least it was available on the best network in the US. Smartphones are next to worthless without a good network.
And it's those networks that remove hardware and features, hobble the devices with bloatware, and take forever to push OS upgrades.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #18
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
It's more than faintly embarrassing for a grown man to so completely identify with a corporation and a brand that he would take the time to write an advertisement for its products, complete with stock photos, quotes from press releases, and links for purchasing(!). No less so for the faithful chorus that repeats these plaudits before ever having used one themselves or read a review. I nevertheless note with approval that this group is in the minority in this thread.

In my opinion, there should never have been a 8GB N4, but Google probably saw that the 8GB N7 was selling very well and felt that reducing the price as much as possible would appeal to significant market segments. There are a lot of people who only use their smartphones as feature phones, and would be perfectly content with a lower capacity device.

Tubemonkey's link gives the right reason for why LTE is missing from the N4, but fails to mention that Google is responsible for its own powerlessness in negotiations with the carriers. They sold their soul for market share five years ago and are now reaping the consequences of that choice, which are sadly anti-consumer.

To be honest, I would be very happy if Google sold millions and millions of Nexus phones. Anything that can get people off 2- and 3-year contracts and break the power of the carriers is an absolute good. I don't think it will happen, sadly, because most people still buy their phone through their carrier and not directly from a vendor. There is also the difficulty of buying something you don't have a chance to touch, feel, and experiment with in store. Perhaps Google should establish a few pop-up stores, like Microsoft has for the Surface.

Last edited by holymadness; 10-31-2012 at 02:56 PM.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:19 PM   #19
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
And it's those networks that remove hardware and features, hobble the devices with bloatware, and take forever to push OS upgrades.
Not on iPhones they don't. And the Nexus devices for the most part have been pretty good.

In any case, I think it's better to have a "hobbled" great device than one on a poor network or not at all. Not everybody agrees with that.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #20
pl001
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Anything that can get people off 2- and 3-year contracts and break the power of the carriers is an absolute good.
That may seem like an "absolute good" on the surface, however the competition is fierce between carriers right now, only a few are left standing. Plus they are spending loads of money upgrading their networks. A phone like the Nexus 4 will NOT lead to better and faster networks as it uses older technology they are moving away from. LTE phones give them an incentive and their contracts give them the funds to keep improving.

As much as the power of the carriers annoys me, I will gladly put up with it if it funds their ability to keep improving at the rapid rate they have been over the past decade. I'm not opposed to businesses making money so long as I am getting something in return.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #21
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
It's more than faintly embarrassing for a grown man to so completely identify with a corporation and a brand that he would take the time to write an advertisement for its products, complete with stock photos, quotes from press releases, and links for purchasing(!). No less so for the faithful chorus that repeats these plaudits before ever having used one themselves or read a review. I nevertheless note with approval that this group is in the minority in this thread.

In my opinion, there should never have been a 8GB N4, but Google probably saw that the 8GB N7 was selling very well and felt that reducing the price as much as possible would appeal to significant market segments. There are a lot of people who only use their smartphones as feature phones, and would be perfectly content with a lower capacity device.

Tubemonkey's link gives the right reason for why LTE is missing from the N4, but fails to mention that Google is responsible for its own powerlessness in negotiations with the carriers. They sold their soul for market share five years ago and are now reaping the consequences of that choice, which are sadly anti-consumer.

To be honest, I would be very happy if Google sold millions and millions of Nexus phones. Anything that can get people off 2- and 3-year contracts and break the power of the carriers is an absolute good. I don't think it will happen, sadly, because most people still buy their phone through their carrier and not directly from a vendor. There is also the difficulty of buying something you don't have a chance to touch, feel, and experiment with in store. Perhaps Google should establish a few pop-up stores, like Microsoft has for the Surface.
For your information part my business involves promoting products and i take pride in my work & im more thorough than most people when it comes to relaying information .People want to know information about a product and im just delivering it,if you have a problem with that then tough.

What's sad is i mentioned Iphone 5 and the Ipod mini as reference to the NEXUS 4 and it hurt your feelings so badly they you launch a personnel attack against me.
Don't worry fella you can say what you want about me as im not some pruning apple fanboy who takes it as a personnel insults when ever some one has something bad to say about apple.

IF you have ever to read any of my other threads i start then you will know i do a thorough job on every one, so im sorry sorry if im not a lazy person like yourself.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191417
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193205
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=184704&page=4
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1676417
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1757709
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1665167

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-31-2012 at 06:31 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #22
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
While I agree that offering the 8 GB is more about setting price points than the true cost of memory, I disagree that this is only useful for people who 'only use their smartphones as feature phones'.

I've been using an original Samsung Galaxy S for 2 years now, and I've yet to fill up its 8 GB. I use it for music streaming, DNLA control, tennis TV streaming, voice and meeting recording, gaming, GPS navigation, maps, ebook reading, Zinio magazines, comics, guitar apps, occasional document checking on Dropbox, as well as the usual web browsing, contacts, email, tasks, alarms, time zone checking, social media, and calendar. It's also my camera, provides a mobile wifi hotspot for my netbook, and, yup, my phone.

However, I don't need to keep loads of data on the phone. I delete magazines, books and comics when I've read them. Photos upload automatically, and I prune them off the device later. I use streaming services and cloud storage. And if I'm ever cut off from the cloud there's still plenty on the phone to keep me occupied - in particular, the latest music, as I use a subscription service and download the albums that I want to get to know better, then delete them once I've moved on.

Looking at the Nexus 4, I'm giving the 8 GB version some serious thought.

4G would be nice to have but it will be years before the coverage is useful to me (I live in a rural area).

And in the 2 years I've had the Galaxy S I've not got round to getting a spare battery, so again, while useful I can live without it.

It looks like a good phone to tide me over until 4G does become ubiquitous.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 10-31-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #23
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
While I agree that offering the 8 GB is more about setting price points than the true cost of memory, I disagree that this is only useful for people who 'only use their smartphones as feature phones'.

I've been using an original Samsung Galaxy S for 2 years now, and I've yet to fill up its 8 GB. I use it for music streaming, DNLA control, tennis TV streaming, voice and meeting recording, gaming, GPS navigation, maps, ebook reading, Zinio magazines, comics, guitar apps, occasional document checking on Dropbox, as well as the usual web browsing, contacts, email, tasks, alarms, time zone checking, social media, and calendar. It's also my camera, provides a mobile wifi hotspot for my netbook, and, yup, my phone.

However, I don't need to keep loads of data on the phone. I delete magazines, books and comics when I've read them. I use streaming services and cloud storage. And if I'm ever cut off from the cloud there's still plenty on the phone to keep me occupied - in particular, the latest music, as I use a subscription service and download the albums that I want to get to know better, then delete them once I've moved on.

Looking at the Nexus 4, I'm giving the 8 GB version some serious thought.

4G would be nice to have but it will be years before the coverage is useful to me (I live in a rural area).

And in the 2 years I've had the Galaxy S I've not got round to getting a spare battery, so again, while useful I can live without it.

It looks like a good phone to tide me over until 4G does become ubiquitous.

Graham
Bear in mind you don't get that 8gb available about 2gb is set aside and partitioned off for possible software upgrades and another 2 is usually lost due to the filesystem. If you get 4gb of space on an 8gb device you are lucky.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #24
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As you say, it depends on how you use your phone. I think it's a strain to have to constantly worry about storage space. To find out that you're at capacity when shooting a video or taking photos and being forced to stop. To hesitate before adding media to the device, wondering "do I have enough room for this album and that TV show?" To have to make choices about which applications and files to keep and which to delete. To have to regularly purge and groom and surveil. I prefer not to think about any of these things, and many others seem to feel the same way.

Be sure to wait for Anandtech battery benchmarks (and others) before buying.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #25
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Bear in mind you don't get that 8gb available about 2gb is set aside and partitioned off for possible software upgrades and another 2 is usually lost due to the filesystem. If you get 4gb of space on an 8gb device you are lucky.
On the 8 GB Galaxy S there's 5.78 GB free for use, and I've still got under a gig of that spare today.

If it really is just 4 GB available on the Nexus 4 that would be a little tight, but I really don't notice the pruning that I do, so I'm sure that being a little more aggressive about it I could live with the 8 GB.

However, yes, that difference of nearly 2 GB of free space would make it worth considering the 16 GB version.

Graham
Old 10-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #26
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
For your information part my business involves promoting products and i take pride in my work & im more thorough than most people when it comes to relaying information .
With that command of the English language?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal
Good point, totally forgot about that.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #27
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
As you say, it depends on how you use your phone. I think it's a strain to have to constantly worry about storage space. To find out that you're at capacity when shooting a video or taking photos and being forced to stop. To hesitate before adding media to the device, wondering "do I have enough room for this album and that TV show?" To have to make choices about which applications and files to keep and which to delete. To have to regularly purge and groom and surveil. I prefer not to think about any of these things, and many others seem to feel the same way.
As noted just now, I have never had to do these things because I ran out of space or was in danger of running out.

I'm just neat about the way I use the phone. I do the same with my ereader even though there's loads of free space on it.

Graham
Old 10-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #28
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
For your information part my business involves promoting products and i take pride in my work & im more thorough than most people when it comes to relaying information .People want to know information about a product and im just delivering it,if you have a problem with that then tough.----
I have noticed that. Usually you give too much info to fully delve into, so I try to be wise in what I choose to consume.

Good job!

Last edited by frahse; 10-31-2012 at 05:19 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:00 PM   #29
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
I have to say, I'd sort of missed the Nexus 4 in the announcement on Monday. What with the update in Nexus 7 pricing and my own interest in seeing what the Nexus 10 had to offer, I skimmed through the Nexus 4 bit with a 'meh, and there's a new phone'.

However, I was reading the Nexus pages in Google Play this morning and the price point of the Nexus 4 suddenly leapt out and hit me.

I bought my Galaxy S unlocked, without carrier branding, two years ago for over £400 and it's been great and is still going strong. I've been tempted to get an S3 (my wife has the S2), but the price - basically another £400 - has held me back given that I don't actually need a new handset.

But I only really need 8GB on my phone... and at £239 that Nexus 4 is looking awfully attractive!

Graham
I agree and as the price even makes the galaxy s3 look expensive i would be more than happy to cough up £279/$349 compared to the samsung galaxy S3 price of £385/$560.
I already have a 16gb tablet and soon will have a 32gb tablet to replace it so don't have any need for large storage.
The nexus 4 is $211 cheaper than the samsung galaxy s3 so the price alone speaks for itself and the specs say even more.

If any one needs a micro SD card reader or removable battery along with top notch specs then they are simply going to have to lay down another $200+ for the privilege

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Gala...1717191&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...ng+galaxy+s111

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-31-2012 at 05:44 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #30
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
More generally to others, this business of faster and faster carriers and phones is just a pumped up issue mainly used to sell stuff.,
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nexus 4