Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #46
MichaelSullivan
Enthusiast
MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
Keep a close eye out for the non-compete clause in the contract. If it's there - and the Big 6 love to include them - make sure it's something you can live with or something you can negotiate so it doesn't impact your other writing. I've seen other writers turn down a contract with a Big 6 publisher because their contracts included clauses that tried to restrict them from selling anything elsewhere.
I couldn't agree with this more -- I came within millimeters of not signing my big-six contract (and it was six-figures) because of the non-compete. It took months but we finally got it adjusted to something I could live with.
MichaelSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #47
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: My phone
I kind of suspect they have given us a starting figure and expect our agent to bring it up higher. On the other hand, since an agent would take 15-20% of the total, I'm wondering if it would be better not to bother.

I know they do plan to do a lot of marketing. They're hiring a special erotica author for this book.
EileenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #48
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EileenG View Post
I know they do plan to do a lot of marketing. They're hiring a special erotica author for this book.
Don't count on that. Ask them about their marketing plan--and whether it includes usenet and LinkedIn.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #49
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
I kind of suspect they have given us a starting figure and expect our agent to bring it up higher. On the other hand, since an agent would take 15-20% of the total, I'm wondering if it would be better not to bother.

Again...

First write quick and write good. This is time dependent task!
Second, make sure your future is clear. Don't sign away your future.
Third, this time is not about the money up front, it is about "success!"

With success under your belt, you can quibble and dawdle over money, next time.

Again...
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #50
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At 24k words. Have to send in a chunk to the editor tomorrow, so they can be sure we're on the right track.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #51
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'm not sure if this was asked/discussed yet, but did you do an outline or synopsis or ?? I presume you did?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #52
EileenG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm not sure if this was asked/discussed yet, but did you do an outline or synopsis or ?? I presume you did?
Yes, a very detailed outline. In fact, we submitted two outlines, to see which one they wanted to go for. Then we were called into an editorial meeting, and had at least an hour of discussing the plot, the characters, the backstory, the degree kinkiness, how we would write, all that stuff. And in between this, the editor is flying off to London to discuss this with the editors over there.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #53
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've seen a good few 50 Shades knock-offs in stores already. Makes me wonder why they're even bothering with a new book. Just slap a similar cover on an existing work, surely?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #54
EileenG
Zealot

There are quite a few books that were already published and got a spiffy new jacket and a relaunch.

This book has to have an Irish connection.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #55
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Don't count on that. Ask them about their marketing plan--and whether it includes usenet and LinkedIn.
Well, on the Penelope Trunk article, some food for thought: http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2012...-trunks-story/

(Although a caveat there is Big 6 has lots of imprints, so tracking down this specific case can be an exception to the norm.)
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #56
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesatan View Post
Well, on the Penelope Trunk article, some food for thought: http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2012...-trunks-story/

(Although a caveat there is Big 6 has lots of imprints, so tracking down this specific case can be an exception to the norm.)
I did notice the exaggerations in the original. I assumed that, rather than using a loophole to avoid the demand for return of the advance in a year (I didn't know the contract could have that kind of loophole), that the publisher told her to go away--"we're not going to publish your book if you're going to be this hostile to us and our marketing plan." Which also sounded unlikely, but not impossible.

I caught the "85% of books are sold at Amazon," and assumed that was just unsupported hype.

The main lesson I got from Trunk's article was, "demand that your publisher explain *their* side of the marketing plan; don't just tell them how you'll be using your blog for their profit."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #57
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Might be worth contacting an agent or two who could conceivably work on your behalf. You give up 15 percent, but you may also gain access to foreign rights sales and film options, depending on how canny and ambitious your agent is. Given that you already have an offer, it may be easier to find an agent. In my own (dated) experience, my agent made foreign rights and film sales that added up to quite a bit more than the US publisher's advance.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:26 AM   #58
EileenG
Zealot

Well, they are doing an advance in this case, but when I ask around, I'm hearing that's it's a low offer, and that a good agent should still be able to bring it up.

Astonishingly, even though there is a deal on the table, and this is guaranteed money for them, I'm still getting rejected by agents who say "We don't handle that sort of book."
Old 07-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #59
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Astonishingly, even though there is a deal on the table, and this is guaranteed money for them, I'm still getting rejected by agents who say "We don't handle that sort of book."
Have you tried Brown Literary Agency? It says they're closed to queries, but will look at you if you're NY published. I imagine the same might hold if you have a deal on the table from a NY publisher. You might want to indicate that in the subject line if you decide to query them. I know they have other erotic romance authors on their roster.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #60
EileenG
Zealot

I got an agent this morning.

She was recommended by another agent, and seems to be really on the ball. She's already looked over this contract and terms, and the contract from my other publisher which has clauses about option on the next book, and thinks she can get much better terms.

So fingers crossed.