Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Favorite Apps (...and that neat app you just found)

I've had an iPod touch for two months now, and it's become an integral part of my daily routine.

Is there a favorite apps thread? If not, maybe we can use this one...

I don't tweet, but I use Twitterrific to keep up with the news...I liked its list feature better than the other Twitter apps.

I find Reeder to be an excellent Google Reader client. Like Twitterrific, I use it everyday.

Instapaper lets me carry the web with me, even when I am without WiFi, by allowing me to download the articles that I've found from Reeder and Twitterrific and have them stored on my device.

The developer of Instapaper made a philosophical choice that I disagree with, so I also have his main competitor, Read It Later on my device. I like it a great deal too.

I use Wunderlist for keeping track of to-do's. I don't enter much data on the device itself into the Wunderlist app... I tend to treat it as read only and check-off-when-done. I use paper to list things out, and then I move it to Wunderlists website which features free syncing to the device. Paper tends to get lost, but it's the best way for me to do long-range free-form thinking.

I use PlainText to keep text notes. It syncs them to Dropbox when I enter WiFi access. I actually use this both ways -- I jot quick things down on the iPod Touch into theapp, and I drop entire documents I've created in Word, in text format, into it via Dropbox. Works flawlessly. The only formatting they have is spaces and carriage returns, but it works for what I use it for. I have a whole directory structure in Dropbox that's developed around this tool on my iTouch, and I'm surprised how much I use it.

Yes, I use the Dropbox app.

I have not found a calendar good enough to replace what Apple gave me with the device. I read some reviews, but with my email and contacts also connected to my Gmail account, it just works.

I found podcast streamer that I like called Audiopress. I'm musing over the Pro version for $2.99, because it actually download the podcasts. I don't connect my device to iTunes very often, so that would be useful. But I think I'm supposed to get this functionality natively in iOS5, and I have to research that.

I use a service called Site to Phone to send links to the device, but it's cludgy and doesn't work as well as I'd like. But it works. I'll have to find a replacement.

I have a Folder with Stanza, iBooks, the Overdrive App. Bluefire, Kindle and Audible in it. I use all of them, but probably the Kindle app the most.

Those are the main ones. I have a page of fun games I've found for free. Of course there is the ubiquitous Word with Friends, but I also nabbed the Scrabble app on sale, I enjoy HangmanFree and a few others...

What about you?

One annoyance is that some of the apps don't auto-update when I'm in WiFi range. Some only seem to do so if I manually open them one by one. I wish it was more like my PC. Maybe it's settings...I'll have to investigate more.

Another annoyance is the screen-size. I'd pay the premium for something approaching a 4" screen.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Paper Camera. Turns life into a Richard Linklater film!
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
im loving trip adviser app, the reviews on resturaunts,theaters and all sorts of things are handy when your out of state and my fav navigation program is navigon
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
On my new iPad, my favorites are:

Two great drawing apps, ASKetch and LiveSketch HD.

Flipboard, a great app to browse image feeds. I love it for Flickr feeds especially. Also manages non-image feeds via Google Reader, and you can use it to follow Facebook and many news feeds. Very nice to look at and agreeable to use, and it's free.

Last edited by FlorenceArt; 08-03-2011 at 04:07 AM.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
My favorites on the iPad (some of these are universal apps):

Downcast - A great podcast manager, lets you download podcasts directly on the deviec without needing iTunes. So far, iOS5 does NOT support this feature!
Flipboard - Makes the iPad come to life as an everchanging newspaper.
Read It Later - I prefer it to Instapaper.
Reeder - An amazing Google Reader client (although Flipboard can connect to Google Reader, it does not have any finer grain control, like reading specific feeds).
Shredder HD - My favorite chess game
GoodReader - Amazing PDF reader. I use it to read my textbooks and to manage all the files on my iPad. I have an SFTP server at home and GoodReader has a Sync folders option that lets my sync files without a hassle.
AVPlayerHD - Great video player, supports many formats.
Remote - Apple's Remote control app lets me control my foobar2000 setups on two of my PCs at home (mine and the HTPC in the living room), allowing me to browse through my media library and make any of those PCs play whatever music I want without having to touch the PCs.
AppShopper - Sends me push notifications when apps that I would like to buy have price reductions.
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
DiskAid - $9.99 (Not an iPad app but allows you to browse and copy iPad files from your Mac)

Stanza Free - (wish it were still supported) - can't beat it color options for night reading and other preferred settings. Also adjust brightness by a simple up or down swipe.

SurgarSync instead of DropBox as you can select ANY folder to be an "update folder" - If you want to try it there is a free 5 gig account available (see small text link under the big paid "plans" shown at the top of their page.)
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh.. should have mentioned "Pages" together on Mac and iPad. If you format your Pages docs right using "styles" not only can you use your .pages doc on the iPad but you can export an ePub to use with your favorite Book Reader app. (See "exporting ePub" in the Pages help file.) Apple also has a Best Practices doc for using "styles."

More Info Here
Old 08-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
SurgarSync instead of DropBox as you can select ANY folder to be an "update folder" - If you want to try it there is a free 5 gig account available (see small text link under the big paid "plans" shown at the top of their page.)
The dropbox app makes me go through the folders to select the file I want and then downloads it.

Will Sugarsync automatically sync a directory structure for me?
Old 08-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
The dropbox app makes me go through the folders to select the file I want and then downloads it.

Will Sugarsync automatically sync a directory structure for me?
Yes, with SugarSync you can Navigate to any folder to flag it to be synced. There is also a "Magic Briefcase" folder they put on your desktop that you can drop any file into for sync. So you don't have to change your file/folder methodology that is currently in use. Just pick the folders you want synced! Not sure if there is a maximum or not.

You can also setup a public folder (that syncs to public folder on your web space)

If you try SugarSync make sure you get the free 5 gig account. It's a small text link under the big paid account icons.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
Dropbox sucks. It seems that in Dropbox, the folders other share with you are added to your own disk quota, which makes no sense to me. Plus, their referral bonus is small, 250MB compared to 500MB in SugarSync.

I already have around 11GB in SugarSync for free
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
On my iPhone, I regularly use Textie (I'll switch everyone over to iOS Messenger with iOS5), TweetBot, RunKeeper, Google, Safari, Maps, and Mail.

On my iPad I regularly use Textie, Netflix, Instapaper, Flipboard, Pulse, Twitter, iBooks/Kindle/Stanza, Video/iPod, Mail, and a lot of Safari.

I have bought a lot of games, but haven't really finished a lot of them.

Oh, and I have Google Authenticator on both devices-all my Google Apps/Google Accounts are using two-step authentication, and Authenticator doesn't require a cell or data connection.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
RockdaMan
Banned

How do you like Tweetbot?
Old 08-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #13
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
you don't have to change your file/folder methodology that is currently in use.
My file/folder methodology is Dropbox.

But it doesn't look like Dropbox lets you flag a directory for sync, just files. That would be worth it.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #14
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
How do you like Tweetbot?
Love it-especially how it handles conversation threads.

But, I don't tweet really, so I don't know how well it works for that. I use it just for news and gossip
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #15
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Favorite iPad app:
Flipboard.

It's just a great content reader. It presents your Facebook, twitter, and rss feeds , together with news articles on web, in a magazine format that's slick and easy toread. Of course, I use the ebook reader apps constantly as well.

Are games considered apps too? They sell in the app store.
If so, then add Cut the Rope and Fruit Ninja to the list.

Add Netflix for movies and tv.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote