Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Question Does anybody know about jailbreaking&warranty?

I managed to mess my kindle (from the recovery menu at the start up) . Os is not working with a frozen screen. I called the amazon and they agreed to send a replacement. however there is a big problem : I made jailbreaking+hacks. how this process works?

If they notice these hacking stuff, can they charge me? I didn't understand really
If they send me a new kindle how can they force me to send it back?

Is there any example of problems on replacement?

please answer if you have any info...
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
we have had many jailbroken kindles be replaced with no known issues between Amazon and the user. you *should* be fine
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. I sent them one back with all the hacks on it and they didn't say a word.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:00 AM   #4
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

kindlekitten and bZkindle; thanks for your reply.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:56 AM   #5
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Generally it's lowest cost option, and investigating devices for hacks would cost too much.

I imagine what amazon does with returns, is immediatelly reflash them to an out of the box state and then run a suite of tests to confirm whether there are hardware problems. Spending peoples efforts investigating software issues rather than a reflash to base state is a huge waste of time and resources.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
kindlekitten and bZkindle; thanks for your reply.
good luck and welcome to the forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
Generally it's lowest cost option, and investigating devices for hacks would cost too much.

I imagine what amazon does with returns, is immediatelly reflash them to an out of the box state and then run a suite of tests to confirm whether there are hardware problems. Spending peoples efforts investigating software issues rather than a reflash to base state is a huge waste of time and resources.
when I was in the Army, every once in awhile when I had been a particularly bad little soldier I would have to go through the monster stack of dead phones and see if they actually had dial tone. my check list certainly did not allow for anything but the most cursory visual check of phone abuse. I would imagine that Kindles have a similar process
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
He has not replied in this thread yet but in another thread (developers' forum) noted that a new Kindle will be sent to him.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
Freakstone
Freakstone is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Uk Wifi
I have a similar issue, except that my screen has gone and, as a result, it has one of my hacked screensavers splurged all over it with my name watermarked at the top. It's very obvious that the device has been JB at some point. The device works, inasmuch as I have managed to do a resetmykindle and the JB and all associated data has gone, but the screen is still 4/5 screwed with a non Kindle image on it. Is there a way I can blank the screen, since the full reset and a power off won't do it?

Ta.
Freakstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
^ don't think so...
when I sent my k3 back it was frozen on a non-official screensaver as well.
amazon has to wipe them anyway to resell it, so I wouldn't worry about it.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
Freakstone
Freakstone is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Uk Wifi
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
^ don't think so...
when I sent my k3 back it was frozen on a non-official screensaver as well.
amazon has to wipe them anyway to resell it, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks for putting my mind at ease, my Canuck comrade. They're sending me a new one on Wednesday. Yay!
Freakstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
when I was in the Army, every once in awhile when I had been a particularly bad little soldier I would have to go through the monster stack of dead phones and see if they actually had dial tone. my check list certainly did not allow for anything but the most cursory visual check of phone abuse. I would imagine that Kindles have a similar process
But of course, in the Army, they have to make the process simple enough for even a soldier to do....

Sorry, I'm Navy...couldn't resist.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
thomass
Wizard

about returning from outside of US

I broke software of my Kindle. and when I called amazon(two days ago), they accepted to replace. Since I'm not in Us I found a "friend" who live in Us. Then called again (just an hour ago) and completed the request. he told that my new Kindle will arrive to the address tomorrow.amazing! I wish I live n Us

I want to ask you something about my replacement "duty":

they sent me an email about returning the Kindle which contains a label. However there is no address on label. If you live in Us no problem. But from outside, does it be a problem?

Is there anyone who also send his broken to amazon from outside of Us?
Is the label itself sufficient? Should I add an additional address also?

Last edited by thomass; 04-29-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool address

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
they sent me an email about returning the Kindle which contains a label. However there is no address on label. If you live in Us no problem. But from outside, does it be a problem?

Is there anyone who also send his broken to amazon from outside of Us?
Is the label itself sufficient? Should I add an additional address also?
what i did was print that page and when my replacement arrived i used it's packaging and took the label portion and taped it to the package. i never read what was on it but i hardly think that it would have been accepted by the clerk as a valid prepaid shipment if there wasn't an address on it. anyway i got an email from amazon that the package arrived a few days later. i do remember that it went to kentucky.
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote