Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Parkinson View Post
Around here if a store plays music they owe the publisher a fee. I think it's a fairly trivial amount but store owners are often surprised when asked for it. The reasoning is that if you're using someone's work to enhance your business you ought to pay them for it. The buying of the CD or whatever does not necessarily license you to use it in this way, ie for private use is different, and okay. So no, you're not a criminal, but the store owner might not be squeaky clean, or might be, depends.

I'm not saying I agree with any of this, just explaining how it works here in New Zealand.
When I worked retail way back in high school (small shop) we had a setup from these guys and they payed royalties for the music used, or at least that's my understanding.
http://music.muzak.com/why_muzak/
Of course I'm sure many (most?) smaller shops just use a regular CD player or radio.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #17
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
You location says Asia, do you really find a comment about executing people funny in a place where they do execute people?
Yes. We have a bit of a population issue over here, you know.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #18
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Yes. We have a bit of a population issue over here, you know.
So let them die and thus reduce the surplus population? I predict tonight you'll be visited by three spirits.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:11 AM   #19
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
So let them die and thus reduce the surplus population? I predict tonight you'll be visited by three spirits.
Don't be ridiculous. I have to go to the store or the bar for my spirits just like everyone else.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:00 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
You location says Asia, do you really find a comment about executing people funny in a place where they do execute people?
As he was talking about piracy before, and the punishment for piracy was always hanging (at least, in English law), I think he referred to that... It was a joke and clearly so.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 03:11 AM   #21
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
You'd hope it was a joke, because if you were going to make that capital punishment, no reason for people he was coming after not to shoot him and all the others like him. Sheep, lamb and all that. ;-)
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:32 AM   #22
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
A rich white man in a rich creamy suit tells a lot of other rich white men about the future that all the rich white men will need to lock down. LOL. I've given up on arguing logic in the face of the pro-copyright people, not even logic, to just have them open their eyes to what's going on around them is an impossible task. Now I am merely content in watching the ships sink and lots of people in the water shouting "This stuff is wet! Why did nobody tell me this stuff is wet!"

There'll be a few more desperate, flailing attempts to get out of the water in the next few years, but it's over with. I'd advise some of these people to learn how to swim, but they'd just claim I was infringing the copyright on a property they owned about learning to swim.

Idiots to a man and woman.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:43 AM   #23
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
"In Soviet Russia.....the music industry kills YOU "
No.

No. No. No.

Not............................................... .........................yet.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:38 AM   #24
oggelbe2007
Limited Warranty
oggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enough

Device: A sweet PRS-500, DXG
Just viewing the video (without proper permission/payment) has just earned you a severe beating.

Last edited by oggelbe2007; 06-15-2010 at 12:45 PM.
oggelbe2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #25
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
But what about radio? Or how about the local stores that play music? I could leave my home right now, walk half a block and find no less than three stores broadcasting music straight into the air---music that I can hear, without paying for it. So am I a criminal?
The only reasonable* thing to do is strike first!

*This statement is as reasonable as that Lobbyist's.

Iphinome - Hey now, commenting on people's drinking habits isn't nice

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 06-15-2010 at 12:31 PM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote