Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
rainboy
rainboy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs 505
Planning to buy Prs 600, wait or go for it

Hi All,

Good morning from India.

I am planning to buy Sony Prs 600 from Amazon for $253.69. I have never used a ebook reader but do carry ebooks around on my netbook (primarily PDFs of all kinds). Hence going for the best one out there & which is within my budget of $300.

Query: Should i wait couple of months for something new to come & then get my first eBook reader? I have read a lot of about various upcoming devices (favorite: Adam from Notion Ink) but whether they will be within my budget & good enough is a question.

Do let me know.

Thanks for helping out.
rainboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR.

Well, you ask a rather difficult question. For one, lot of devices out there and all have their positive and negative.

Two, as any reader the Sony is an electronic device and usually old by the time you get your hands on. There will always be a better, faster one just around the corner.

Check out the matrix in the wiki and see if it helps you with the buying decision.

But at the end of the day you will have to make your own decision. Good luck with it.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
rainboy

Hey Cat,

Thanks for the reply.

Its difficult assuming what new products will be & with all other so call Tech Gurus claiming extinction of ebook readers soon.

I think need to take the jump soon without waiting. From the wiki Onyx Boox 60 seems interesting but haven't read much about it. Will try to find some more info.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Onyx Boox 60 and BeBook Neo are basically the same. So you can check out info about either one. Boox comes with cover and Neo doesn't. There might be slight firmware differences but from what I read so far you can use the firmware interchangably. Boox 60 is at the top of the list for me right now too.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I think you should go for it. If you always wait for the latest thing, you'll wait forever. Look at the Sony 505. That is I-don't-even-know-how-many years old and people still use it and love it.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
rainboy

Thanks for the reply.

I would have loved to get my hands on 505 for all the good words that i read about it, but difficult to find a cost effective one on eBay & offline inventory is not searchable for all sellers.

Anything i buy, would have to get it shipped to India which is very expensive & then local taxes being added make the prices very expensive.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
Blackbear123
Blackbear123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony, Onyx Boox
Onyx Boox is open to Applications while Bebook Neo only has their own ebook store. I hear that the Boox will be adding Scribd and Google Books on as applications soon.

Also rumors have it that Boox will also be adding Kobo books and Books on Board ebook stores on as well later on.
Blackbear123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainboy View Post
Hi All,

Good morning from India.

I am planning to buy Sony Prs 600 from Amazon for $253.69. I have never used a ebook reader but do carry ebooks around on my netbook (primarily PDFs of all kinds). Hence going for the best one out there & which is within my budget of $300.

Query: Should i wait couple of months for something new to come & then get my first eBook reader? I have read a lot of about various upcoming devices (favorite: Adam from Notion Ink) but whether they will be within my budget & good enough is a question.

Do let me know.

Thanks for helping out.
I'd really recommend, going for Sony 900 instead. It's more expensive, but absolutely worth it (Sony 600 is a great unit though).
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear123 View Post
Onyx Boox is open to Applications while Bebook Neo only has their own ebook store. I hear that the Boox will be adding Scribd and Google Books on as applications soon.

Also rumors have it that Boox will also be adding Kobo books and Books on Board ebook stores on as well later on.
It's confirmed in the user forum: You can install the Onyx firmware on BeBook Neo.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I would have loved to get my hands on 505 for all the good words that i read about it, but difficult to find a cost effective one on eBay & offline inventory is not searchable for all sellers.

Anything i buy, would have to get it shipped to India which is very expensive & then local taxes being added make the prices very expensive.
Isn't there the same "backdoor", as we have in Europe: Sending as a gift, thus (often, not always) avoiding customs and taxes?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear123 View Post
The Neo is "open to applications", too. I don't know what you mean when you say "Neo only has their own ebook store". BeBook do not have any book store at all, as far as I'm aware. It's an ADE device, like any other, so you can use any store you wish (geographical restrictions, etc, permitting).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #12
rainboy

Thanks everybody for all suggestions.

I think PRS 600 or Onyx Boox will make it to my cart. Need to find a one for shipping to India.

Going for Sony, anyways might not be able to use the Sony store due to geography restrictions.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Thanks everybody for all suggestions.

I think PRS 600 or Onyx Boox will make it to my cart. Need to find a one for shipping to India.

Going for Sony, anyways might not be able to use the Sony store due to geography restrictions.
You will be able to use the Sony store. They don't check IPs. Just select "US" in Sony's eBook library, use a (valid) US address and add any credit card. You don't even need gift cards anymore.
You can't use the 3G solution of Sony 900 though. That's not because of geographic restrictions, but because of the 3G frequency only usable for US.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
You will be able to use the Sony store. They don't check IPs. Just select "US" in Sony's eBook library, use a (valid) US address and add any credit card.
Everyone says that but I still can't buy from them.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #15
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Neo is "open to applications", too. I don't know what you mean when you say "Neo only has their own ebook store". BeBook do not have any book store at all, as far as I'm aware. It's an ADE device, like any other, so you can use any store you wish (geographical restrictions, etc, permitting).
From what I understand of the relationship, Bebook is a closed system. For example, you cannot download the Scribd application onto it unless you just scroll through to the Scribd website. Or also unless you completely flash the Onyx firmware onto the Neo which is frowned upon...
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote