Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-12-2014, 02:25 AM   #1
Rob1706
Rob1706 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-t2, iPad Mini
Preferences

Hi,

being a new member I do not actually know if the question I have has already been asked so excuse me if I repeat this. I live in Thailand and use Calibre for handling my Dutch e-books. Have a friend here who faces more or less same issue as I do. We are both not very young anymore and are having some problems with syntaxes being used for showing e-books in Sony e-readers. Would it be possible to have checkboxes in the future? Like:
* show books on author's name
* show books on author's names plus series
* show books last added
* etc
I know it can be done in preferences but little bit complexed for us. Last time my friend did this no books were shown at all so he had to cancel changes. He considered formatting his xd card already.
Any suggestions?
Rob1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:50 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I suspect that calibre can't help you there. If you have filled in correct metadata, and sent the books to your device, then it is up to the device to list the books. What you can do is modify the metadata to, for instance, include series information in the book title. You use a "plugboard" for this.

In calibre you only have to click on the labels for different fields to change the sort order. For instance to sort on series and then author, click author then series.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
Rob1706
Rob1706 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-t2, iPad Mini
Hi Adoby,

first of all many thanks for your reply. I already changed metadata to see all books under authors . Also I added name of series in name book to show like I want it to be shown. You mention plugboard, could you please give more info? I have been away for a few days because of family reasons (1.500 km in 3 days) and just started my pc.
Rob1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1706 View Post
You mention plugboard, could you please give more info?
@Rob1706 - This might be a good place to start - Techniques to use plugboards, custom columns and templates ( click)

I recommend you familiarise yourself with the various stickies at the top of each calibre subforum - they contain a lot of excellent information. No need to study them in detail - just enough to be aware they exist.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-15-2014 at 08:25 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Preliminary steps:
- Ensure that your ereader is plugged into your computer and that it is recognized by calibre.
- Ensure that all of the books on your ereader are also in your calibre library. This is important since you'll be working in library view rather than device view. (It's okay if there are books in your calibre library that aren't in your ereader library.)

Click on the toolbar icon to show the books in your calibre library (it looks like the calibre application icon).

You will see a sidebar with Authors, Languages, Series, etc. on the left. If you want to filter by Author, click on Authors then click on the author name. You want to see the books for several authors, hold down shift while clicking on each author name. Look at the column headings for the results. You will see one called On Device. You click on that column heading to sort the results based you whether or not it is on your ereader. This will work for other fields in the sidebar, including series.

Seeing a list of books that were last added to the device involves switching from the calibre library to the device or storage card library. Click on the toolbar icon that looks like your ereader or an SD card, then click on the column labelled date.
Advert
Old 03-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Or see this Wiki guide: Kindle_and_Calibre_Plugboards

And if you wish for help in composing a template, ask on this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=PLUGBOARD
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote