Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 05:13 AM   #166
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
For reading I like alignment portrait and landscape.
BUT I also wanted to hold the T1 with buttons an the RIGHT side.
With the Sony reader firmware it's only possible to have the buttons on left side.

My question is:
Does anybody know if there is an android reader software that let the user adjust this?
And it's also possible to install this sw on the T1?
salines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #167
menelic
Enthusiast
menelic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T2
Newsreader App Test Request: Pulse and BBC

Dear T1-Rooters,

thanks a lot for your great work! I'm planning to root my newly acquired T1, but would love to know if teh great news reader Apps Pulse and BBC (their official android app) work. Both have a similar design which is great for browsing and reading news on touch devices, and since BBC always saves the full tetxts of teh feeds you subscribe to, it would be a great free daily newspaper (both apps can sync manually, daily, hourly or more frequently). I'd be really grateful if one of you rooters could try it out and let me know.

BBC
https://market.android.com/details?i...S5uZXdzLnd3Il0. (less tan 1 MB size)

Pulse
https://market.android.com/details?i...nNvLnB1bHNlIl0. (unfortunately gotten big, 2,7 MB...but maybe it can still be done?)

( Sorry only market links but I m sure you can either transfer or find your trusted sources for akps)

If you can recommend alternative newsreaders for the T1 with a similar or comparable look and feel, let me know!

Thanks in advance!
menelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #168
deides
deides began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs t1
installing apps to sd card

I havent rooted my t1 yet, but just trying to figure out if I will read up on a procedure to re-size and re-format partitions to include more storage for apps, or if there is another way.

Stumbled on this - from what I understand the t1 is android 2.2?
We should then be able to install apps to an SD card according to this link

http://www.androidtapp.com/android-2...ps-to-sd-card/

Also see this comment on how to do it

Quote:
I found this info and thought it could be useful to you as well as other Android OS device users, make sure you are running 2.2 as stated on the original article, I am no sure if it works with any of the lower versions. I should also mention that I have NOT done it on my phone yet as I just found this info and plan on doing it over the weekend. All credits go to Lars Aronsson who posted the instructions on Andronica.com. this is the link to the article:

http://androinica.com/2010/08/03/how...oid-2-2-froyo/

Here we go..
1. First you have to enable USB debugging on your Android device from Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.
2. Now you need to download and install the Android SDK on your computer from http://developer.android.com/sdk/. Once you’ve downloaded and extracted the package to the folder of your choice, run SDK Setup.exe and click on Available Packages to the left. If you get an error message at this point, enable “Force https://…” in the Settings. From the list of available packages, select “Usb Driver package”, click on the Install Selected button in the bottom right corner and follow the prompts.
3. Connect your phone to your computer with a USB-cable. Your OS will prompt you to install new drivers. Choose to install them from the android-sdk/usb_driver folder. Do not mount your device; you only need to plug-in the cable.
4. Next, run a command prompt and navigate to the Android-SDK\tools folder. In Windows, this is done by selecting Run from the Start Menu (or by pressing Win+R) and typing cmd. You change drives in the command prompt by entering the drive letter followed by a colon (, and change folders with the CD command. For example, to enter the Android-SDK folder, simply type cd android-sdk.
5. In the Android-SDK\tools folder, type in adb devices and you should get a serial number starting with “H” in return. All you have to do next is entering adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2. Voilà, you’re done! Android will now install apps to the SD card by default.
6. To switch back to storing software on the internal memory, enter adb shell pm setInstallLocation 0.
**EDIT: Just read the comment under it, and apparently there is an app that allows you to install to SD CARD... Should be standard on this install if it works...
Quote:
There’s now an app to do all this called App2SD
Another idea would be to look at booting android directly from the sdcard. The nook color does this and runs 2.2 as far as I know.

Last edited by deides; 11-21-2011 at 03:57 PM.
deides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #169
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Well here is a Root Package for Japanese PRS-T1, and a Restore Package. Let me know if they work for you. It's mostly the same as the Russian set, but I removed some of the stuff that shouldn't be needed in Japan, such as Russian Keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctop View Post
I see. Now I tried to execute your commands in a Virtual Machine running Japanese Windows XP. When I execute the command, even if I execute only ebook_msc.exe, I am always told that the program can not be executed. The .DLL is in the same folder, together with all other files in that root package, and I am trying to execute it from that folder. Any ideas what might be wrong?

[update:]

OK, I figured it out.

[/update]

All the best,

Ctop

Last edited by porkupan; 11-25-2011 at 09:30 AM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #170
xuyn2003
Connoisseur
xuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: PRS-T1&KOBOTOUCH
Thank you porkupan, you did so great works!
The root package works perfectly for me
xuyn2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #171
neil_nn11
neil_nn11 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 and T1
Is there an explanation of what the different packages are and which to install for starters?
neil_nn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #172
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_nn11 View Post
Is there an explanation of what the different packages are and which to install for starters?
For starters with the Western flavor of PRS-T1 install the Minimal Root Package. To undo the root, install Restore Package. Everything else is probably irrelevant for starters. Unless those started also need Russian locale support, and than they can install the Russification Package after the Minimal Root.

If you are a Japanese starter, see my previous message in this thread.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #173
neil_nn11
neil_nn11 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 and T1
Thanks

Thanks Mate, I give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
For starters with the Western flavor of PRS-T1 install the Minimal Root Package. To undo the root, install Restore Package. Everything else is probably irrelevant for starters. Unless those started also need Russian locale support, and than they can install the Russification Package after the Minimal Root.

If you are a Japanese starter, see my previous message in this thread.
neil_nn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #174
jpearn
jpearn began at the beginning.

Device: none
As above, what is the difference between the sets, minimal / minimal-1 / minimal-root / expand set ??

Thanks !

Edit, and can we apply the latest Sony update before all this 1.1.03.11040?? (Just got my reader . . . !)

Last edited by jpearn; 11-22-2011 at 04:04 PM.
jpearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #175
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpearn View Post
As above, what is the difference between the sets, minimal / minimal-1 / minimal-root / expand set ??

Thanks !

Edit, and can we apply the latest Sony update before all this 1.1.03.11040?? (Just got my reader . . . !)
The only one that's current is minimal-root. The others may be considered obsolete.

Yes, you can apply the update before 1.1.03.11040. The 1.1.03.11040 is probably going to kill the superuser though, so you may need to re-apply the update if that happens.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:32 AM   #176
ewandeep
Zealot
ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Sony PRS-350 Nook Touch Glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
The only one that's current is minimal-root. The others may be considered obsolete.

Yes, you can apply the update before 1.1.03.11040. The 1.1.03.11040 is probably going to kill the superuser though, so you may need to re-apply the update if that happens.
And we can apply the update after the root or before I have to restore the ereader?
Thanks
ewandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #177
porkupan
Fanatic

It doesn't matter. But you can do a restore, if you are concerned.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #178
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark
mrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to behold

Device: Asus Transformer Prime, Sony PRS-T1, HTC Sensation
okay, I'm going to update my PRS-T1 to firmware version 1.0.02.10280 (the desktop reader version is now 1.1.03.11040).

I'm hoping I can re-root after this update

(now updated and the reader stayed rooted)

Last edited by mrspaceman; 11-23-2011 at 12:42 PM.
mrspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #179
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspaceman View Post
the reader stayed rooted
Well, the SuperUser app is no longer there, and neither is "su". The update wiped out your /system partition, so those are gone. If you don't really need "su", you can stay the way it is. Or you can re-apply the minimal-root package to get the superuser back.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:35 AM   #180
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Fast Image Viewer Free
http://www.appbrain.com/app/fast-ima...ftware.fivfree

Does this app works?
salines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, prs-t1, root, rooted, sony