Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-04-2015, 02:28 PM   #796
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgmaker View Post
I do want to ask, is there a way to count pages automatically after adding a book to the library?
You mean that the page counting is done upon adding the book, so you don't have to start and acknowledge the count yourself?

As far as I know, it's not possible. If it is, I don't know how.

Last edited by Katsunami; 11-04-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #797
rpgmaker
Connoisseur
rpgmaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
You mean that the page counting is done upon adding the book, so you don't have to start and acknowledge the count it yourself?
Acknowledge? Maybe something got lost in translation but I'm not asking for this to avoid the page count obviously (why would I install a page count plugin then?), it is to save the step of executing the plugin manually for each new book I add to my library.
rpgmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #798
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Acknowledge? Maybe something got lost in translation but I'm not asking for this to avoid the page count obviously (why would I install a page count plugin then?), it is to save the step of executing the plugin manually for each new book I add to my library.
Any PI that prepares changes in background to the DB requires the user to Acknowledge they are ready to have the change posted. These PI typically need to grind for a bit, so you are allowed to do other work with the Library
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #799
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
What theducks says above; after you start Page Count, it takes some time. When it is done, it asks you to acknowledge (or cancel) the changes it wants to make. In this case, that change is adding the page count to the database.

Quote:
That is what I meant as well. AFAIK, you can't run the plugin and apply the changes automatically when ebooks are added to the library. You will have to start the plugin yourself and then apply the changes when it asks to do so.

Last edited by Katsunami; 11-04-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:19 PM   #800
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@rpgmaker - you can't auto execute PIs when a book is added, but you can turn off the notification messages for Count Pages, viz :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	143466

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #801
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
What theducks says above; after you start Page Count, it takes some time. When it is done, it asks you to acknowledge (or cancel) the changes it wants to make. In this case, that change is adding the page count to the database.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@rpgmaker - you can't auto execute PIs when a book is added, but you can turn off the notification messages for Count Pages.
I'm aware of this. In fact, you can tell the plugin to make the changes without asking for your confirmation. What I wanted to know was if it was possible to have the plugin execute automatically after adding a new book. It's ok though, not that much of a problem to run the plugin manually after adding a book

Great plugin. Thumbs up to the author!
Old 11-05-2015, 12:29 AM   #802
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Can anyone tell me what is the calculus/formula behind the page number? It'd be good to have it in the first post.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:45 AM   #803
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@rpgmaker - you could look at the code, just unpack the plugin zip somewhere, I think the algos are in statistics.py. The PI author, Kiwidude, isn't very active at the moment, but his code pretty easy to read with generous comments,

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #804
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@rpgmaker - you could look at the code, just unpack the plugin zip somewhere, I think the algos are in statistics.py. The PI author, Kiwidude, isn't very active at the moment, but his code pretty easy to read with generous comments,

BR
Thanks for pointing out the file.

The page count for epubs, in case anyone is wondering:
From what I understood the script first counts the lines (comment in script: "A line is either a paragraph starting or every 70 characters in a paragraph."). For the accurate count this number is then divided by 31 (which is the usual number of lines in a page of a paperback, I assume). After this, from script: "we could still have a really weird document and massively understate. As a backstop count the characters using the "fast count" algorithm and use that number instead". The fast count counts the characters in the entire document, divides this number by 2400 and a 1 is added to the result. The biggest of the two counts is used as the resulting page count.

Last edited by rpgmaker; 11-05-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:16 AM   #805
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks for pointing out the file.

The page count for epubs, in case anyone is wondering:
From what I understood the script first counts the lines (comment in script: "A line is either a paragraph starting or every 70 characters in a paragraph."). For the accurate count this number is then divided by 31 (which is the usual number of lines in a page of a paperback, I assume). After this, from script: "we could still have a really weird document and massively understate. As a backstop count the characters using the "fast count" algorithm and use that number instead". The fast count counts the characters in the entire document, divides this number by 2400 and a 1 is added to the result. The biggest of the two counts is used as the resulting page count.
Don't forget there are three other algorithms available. Personally, I use the ADE method. That matches what any device that uses the RMSDK will show for an epub.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #806
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Don't forget there are three other algorithms available. Personally, I use the ADE method. That matches what any device that uses the RMSDK will show for an epub.
Thanks for pointing it out, it's what I tried to clarify at the beginning of my comment but ended up muddling it instead

What I described was the accurate count method. There are others for PDF, Adobe, etc.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:01 PM   #807
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

Maybe that is because we use RMSDK equipped device ?

BTW those number seem to matchup with the numbers seen on the device
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #808
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have found some bugs in count pages that can cause it to count two words as one word.

except…if
except—if
except–if

All of those cases cause two words to be counted as one. I do hope someone is available to fix this. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #809
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Is it that critical that the word count be precise?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #810
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Is it that critical that the word count be precise?
Why would you say this? If it's a bug let's be thankful that someone did the work to find it and then cared enough to report it. In the end that makes the plugin more accurate and helpful to everyone.

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin