Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 05:51 AM   #1
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Question K3 Problems with metadata.calibre and "On Device" detection

Hi All
I have solved my problems, but I would like some input / explanations to avoid this in the future.
Used calibre 7.45 with a K3 fw 3.1 when researching possible issues with mbp file updating using "Fetch Annotations".
All of a sudden calibre crashed during library switch ( sorry, no log from calibre ). I THINK, but not sure, that after that, calibre and K3 were totally out of sync. In calibre book view, K3 connected, books actually on the K3 did not get check mark in "On device" column, and surely, Device view had same books unchecked in "In library" column.
Question: Was this caused by a corrupted metadata.calibre file on the K3 ?
Did try to restore different filesystem backups, but with no luck.
Ended up doing a factory reset of K3, un/reinstall of calibre, and then start over.
Could I have rescued everything easier ?

Don't get me wrong here ! Been using K3 and Calibre since september 2010 with almost no issues, but this one was bad ... took several days to research/resolve.

Have a nice weekend, All

Last edited by Manichean; 02-19-2011 at 07:43 AM. Reason: fixed title
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I THINK that you could have simple deleted the metadata.calobre file on the Kindle and then let Calibre rebuild this information (I am sure someone will jump in if this is totally wrong )
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
You can delete the Kindle's metadata.calibre file and Calibre will recreate it when you next connect the Kindle/restart Calibre (but you have to have Automatic Management set in Preferences).
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:22 AM   #4
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

well, partly works

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
You can delete the Kindle's metadata.calibre file and Calibre will recreate it when you next connect the Kindle/restart Calibre (but you have to have Automatic Management set in Preferences).
Hi all
Well, it works partly, sort of. Not ALL books are with correct status, maybe because calibre states in debug outout "Failed to read MOBI cover" ?
Any ways calibre created metadata.calibre is approx 1,9 Mb but original is approx 3,5 Mb
Backup, backup and then backup
Old 02-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
pchrist7
Addict

Change title ?

Hi
Did someone change title of my thread ?
I dont agree to the new one.
I fear it has more to do with calibre device, metadata.calibre than purely annotations.
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
pchrist7
Addict

Lets close this thread

Learned my lesson - always backup K3 before letting Calibre touch it.
Apparently no one else but me had these issues, so just close/remove this.
Thanx,