Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
Phonella
Enthusiast
Phonella began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
Folder Numbers

I am new to Calibre and so far have found it exceedingly useful. But one thing puzzles me and leaves me a little disconcerted:

Why does the folder which is created when I add a book have a number sequence in its name?

The number's presence distracts me and I wish that it was not added to the folder name. Is it possible to turn this numbering affair off? Or is it necessary for some reason?

Thanks for your reply.
Phonella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
its neccessary for data integrity (it ensures that even id two books in the database has the same title and author their files dont get mixed up).
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
Phonella
Enthusiast
Phonella began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
Okay thanks -- I'll live with that. I understand the chance of duplicates happening and this avoids that.
Phonella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Why not add numbers only when you actually encounter a duplicate book?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I prefer consistency.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
Hi everyone.
I know this thread is old but my question relates to it so rather than start a new thread I thought I would put my question here.

I understand the reason for the numbers in the folder names but I was wondering if there is a way to reset the numbers.
My numbers go up to 306 but I only have 67 books in my library. Obviously when I delete a book, Calibre does not reuse the number but just numbers continuously - is there a way to rest the numbering as I really don't relish going into the thousands?
Thanks.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
No, you can't reset it apart from starting a new library. But during normal Calibre usage, you shouldn't even see the numbers, so why care?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Bottom line, IGNORE the man behind the curtain.

Let Calibre do its thing with ITS folders, and ignore what it is doing.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
Hi everyone.
I know this thread is old but my question relates to it so rather than start a new thread I thought I would put my question here.

I understand the reason for the numbers in the folder names but I was wondering if there is a way to reset the numbers.
My numbers go up to 306 but I only have 67 books in my library. Obviously when I delete a book, Calibre does not reuse the number but just numbers continuously - is there a way to rest the numbering as I really don't relish going into the thousands?
Thanks.
The folder numbers only mean something to Calibre.
Next, you will be wanting to renumber the Authors (yes, they have numbers also. You just can't see them as easily.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
Obviously when I delete a book, Calibre does not reuse the number but just numbers continuously - is there a way to rest the numbering as I really don't relish going into the thousands?
I'm with the other folks, don't look and it won't bother you. If you must have new numbers you can create a new library then select all of your books in your existing library and copy them to the new library. In theory the new library will have freshly assigned numbers.

Seems like a lot of work for no real benefit just to clean up what amounts to a cosmetic item.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:41 AM   #11
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
Thanks for the comments.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
Is this a sticky already somewhere?

Shouldn't it be if it isn't?

It seems to be a recurring theme.

Archon
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
Is this a sticky already somewhere?

Shouldn't it be if it isn't?

It seems to be a recurring theme.

Archon
It is one of the Variations of 'peaking under the skirts' theme.
I will behave and not say what I think about ...
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
@Phonella... Everyone has danced around this subject but hasn't actually hit it directly. You shouldn't be going into the calibre library folder. Doing so is very dangerous because the slightest change could disable the whole library. Also, there is no need to go into the library folder because anything you might want to do in the folder, you can do from within calibre, plus a whole lot more. The whole purpose of calibre is to manage your books, not organize files. If ever you feel you need to go into calibre's library because you don't know how to do what you want from within calibre, please ask us how to do what you want. Otherwise you might find yourself posting here trying to find out how to fix a broken library.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:43 AM   #15
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'll add the usual comment: read my sig. Seriously, I do have an explanation of why and how it is that way, which saves a lot of typing.

Also, with regard to digging up years-old threads: MobileRead, unlike some forums to remain nameless, does not object in the slightest to people starting new threads when they have something new to say. I've noticed lately that people are doing it again -- "it" being necroposting to threads two or three years old, if not more -- but really, it's better to start a new thread for a new topic. I promise, we won't yell at you, unlike some forums where there's always someone to scream "Someone asked about a tangentially related topic in 2003, how dare you start a different thread!" I've been in forums like that, but this isn't one of them, and not digging up the old threads like that can make it a lot easier for people to keep track of what's what. Plus it saves me the embarrassment of accidentally replying to something said by someone who left MobileRead in 2007 or something!
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote