Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #1
ghudod
Connoisseur
ghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toys

Device: none
Kindle 4NT tabbed browsing fix attempt

Hi everyone. Somewhere on the forums I've read reports that people successfully used K3 fixes to make links open in same tab on K4. These were either
/usr/lib/libwebkit-1.0.so.2.5.0 or /usr/share/browser/readability modifications.
But I can not repeat these for some reason. I ssh to the device ok, but there just isn't a libwebkit-1.0.so.2.5.0 or any other similar file and no /usr/share/browser/ either. Any ideas what can I be doing wrong? I don't really know much about linux commands
ghudod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghudod View Post
Hi everyone. Somewhere on the forums I've read reports that people successfully used K3 fixes to make links open in same tab on K4. These were either
/usr/lib/libwebkit-1.0.so.2.5.0 or /usr/share/browser/readability modifications.
But I can not repeat these for some reason. I ssh to the device ok, but there just isn't a libwebkit-1.0.so.2.5.0 or any other similar file and no /usr/share/browser/ either. Any ideas what can I be doing wrong? I don't really know much about linux commands
{emphasis added}

What you are doing is getting the cart about one light-year in front of the horse.

The first fact about Linux commands (any *nix in fact) is that complete installations have a man(ual) command.
Note: the above includes Mac OSx.

Embedded Linux (which the Kindles run) is not a complete installation (no manuals, among other things).

So first, get yourself a complete installation - both for the manuals and for a practice place (practicing as 'root' on an embedded system is a short trip to hell).

The best way would be to get a Linux LiveCD - which runs in memory without the need for installation.
My recommendation for Noobs : http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Very easy setup - can have "persistent storage" in the form of off-cd media (flash stick, whatever) - other people here have it to answer questions about - etc.

In addition, web search engines recognize the: man command.
So you can practice right now, with:
man find

Which will include this link:
http://linux.die.net/man/1/find

Read it.
Hope you like to read -
There is no way we at this forum can teach you the hundreds, perhaps thousands of *nix commands that you may need.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
ghudod
Connoisseur
ghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toys

Well I'm pretty sure I got the commands necessary to find a specific file and folder right, it isn't there. What I'm trying to find out is if the aforementioned reports are true and if there's some obvious mistake I might be making.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What I'm trying to find out is if the aforementioned reports are true and if there's some obvious mistake I might be making.
Sorry, our crystal balls are all off-line.

You have to report what you are doing (in this case, key-stroke by key-stroke) before it is possible to answer that question.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
ghudod
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Sorry, our crystal balls are all off-line.

You have to report what you are doing (in this case, key-stroke by key-stroke) before it is possible to answer that question.
Good point. I connect to my K4NT via SSH (used this guide).
Then I go to root directory ("cd / " if I recall correctly).
From there I navigate to /usr/lib/, and it's there and is full of lib files, only no libwebkit* is there. And /usr/share/browser/ doesn't even exist.
So I figure they might be elswhere, and do a "ls -alR", and it shows what I think is the complete list of device's files and folders tree, I search the log for filenames I'm looking for and parts of names and what not, nothing found.
This is about it.
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Which device?
K3 or K4

Your profile says? "none"

But at a first guess, I would say they are not there.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
ghudod
Connoisseur

K4NT.
Well, maybe not, but
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2238081
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy dave View Post
ok i copied the unmodified libwebkit-1.0.so.2.5.0 from my k4, hex edited...
I PM'd the guy, but he doesn't reply.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
K4NT.
Well, maybe not, but
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2238081

I PM'd the guy, but he doesn't reply.
Well, when you do get a reply - -

Ask what firmware versions that worked with.
There has been (at least) both a 4.0 and a 4.1 for the K4
And there have been several for the K3.

The differences that you note might be version differences from yours vs the ones in that post.

I don't have a K4 to go looking for the files on -
But from what you posted above, I would have expected you to have found it.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
ghudod
Connoisseur

All my thoughts exactly. The guy's been online already since I PM'd him, so I don't think I'm getting a reply.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

The messages pop-up does not always work for everyone.
Give him some time to notice that he has messages.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hmm IIRC I kinda was in on that... Let me start by saying I DON'T HAVE A 4.
okay now we have that out of the way.

Cant find file?
find / -iname '*'"libwebkit-1.0.so.2.5.0"'*'
(if it complains about no -iname flag just drop it)

or if you are struggling...
[root@kindle root]# find / -iname '*'"libwebkit"'*'
for example... (on a touch)

Quote:
/usr/lib/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0
/usr/lib/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0.7.2
/usr/lib/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so
on a 3:

Quote:
/usr/lib/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0.0.1
/usr/lib/libwebkit-1.0.so.2.5.0
/usr/lib/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so
/usr/lib/libwebkit-1.0.so.2
/usr/lib/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0
/usr/lib/libwebkit-1.0.so
once you have that file... the actual process is a hex level edit of the string "_blank" - ideally replacing it with _self (and maybe a null terminator to keep the length right, perhaps Knc1 would know more on that)

then splatter it back on.

Always make backups.

Expect things to break the first few times.

Re The OP's file:

H.Dave seems a nice enough chap, no doubt it missed his radar.
perhaps another polite request may not go amiss....

or just hack up your own. And once you are done perhaps being ready to share the work would alleviate posts like this in the future.

Good luck.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #12
ghudod
Connoisseur

I tend to solve problems as they appear, so let's put the hex editing away for now. No luck with 'find' either.
If I'm not mistaken there are several partitions on a kindle. Maybe the file's on another one? I have no Idea how to access them. Something with 'mount' command?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #13
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
find / "blah"

means search from the root of the Main Kindle System drive (that is the / bit...)

did you try a sanity test... EG FIND something you know to be there....

because I find it very hard to believe that

find / '*'"libwebkit"'*' has no results...

Last edited by twobob; 01-04-2013 at 07:29 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Cant find file?
find / -iname '*'"libwebkit-1.0.so.2.5.0"'*'
(if it complains about no -iname flag just drop it)

or if you are struggling...
Drat!

Thought I had explained all of that, but forgot to mention wildcard characters.

Also forgot to mention that Busybox find does not have the "ignore case" name option.
Phooey!

PHP Code:
[root@kindle root]# find /usr -name 'libwebkit*' 
(Ignore the 'php code' tag on the above quote - that is a 'forum thing' to color the command line command.)
Old 01-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #15
ghudod
Connoisseur

Tested again, finds nothing.
Tried find /usr -name 'lib*', it finds various lib files.
So I think we're now positive the file's not there or isn't immediately accessible.