Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
List of free Prime eligible Kindle e-books

"List of free Prime eligible Kindle e-books

by David Carnoy November 5, 2011 6:14 PM PDT"

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33198_7...tentHighlights

"There's now an easy way to see the full list of free e-book titles available to Kindle owners with Amazon Prime.

In case you missed it, Amazon recently launched the Kindle Owners' Lending Library, which allows Amazon Prime members to check out up to one e-book a month for free with no due date.

The only problem is that it wasn't so easy to find all the more than 5,000 titles in the Kindle Store that qualify for free borrowing. However, as one might expect, a somewhat helpful link has cropped up in the blogosphere."

It will take some time to select which I want since you get only 1 per month. In fact, I am way behind right now. I wish it was accumulative. Just too much going on with the Holidays.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Click here to see the full list of prime-eligible books. The categories on the left side work, too.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Thanks for sharing this -- unfortunately it seems I cannot borrow the books while being outside the US, even though Amazon said I could.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Thanks for sharing this -- unfortunately it seems I cannot borrow the books while being outside the US, even though Amazon said I could.
Are you trying to borrow via the web, or via your Kindle? You can only borrow a book via an actual Kindle.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Are you trying to borrow via the web, or via your Kindle? You can only borrow a book via an actual Kindle.
I have a Kindle DXG. Neither the option "Prime Members Library" appears in the menus, nor does it show "borrow for free" when I browse to a book I know is included. They can, of course, tell via the 3G that I am abroad (can't spoof the 3G like you can WiFi) but Amazon service told me it wouldn't matter as long as I am a Prime member. Perhaps it is because I am still on my trial month?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have a Kindle DXG. Neither the option "Prime Members Library" appears in the menus, nor does it show "borrow for free" when I browse to a book I know is included. They can, of course, tell via the 3G that I am abroad (can't spoof the 3G like you can WiFi) but Amazon service told me it wouldn't matter as long as I am a Prime member. Perhaps it is because I am still on my trial month?
I suggest you chat/email/call them back. The trial should let you do everything, else it isn't a real trial.

You could try a proxy also.

Good luck.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I suggest you chat/email/call them back. The trial should let you do everything, else it isn't a real trial.

You could try a proxy also.

Good luck.
The DXG only has 3G, no WiFi. So there is no way to use a proxy. Even if you could install the software, they could tell the location from the ISP used.

It really shouldn't matter to them, since they have a fixed pot for all the authors contributing books to the program.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
The DXG only has 3G, no WiFi. So there is no way to use a proxy. Even if you could install the software, they could tell the location from the ISP used.

It really shouldn't matter to them, since they have a fixed pot for all the authors contributing books to the program.
I just learned something then.

Tell me can you connect the DXG to your computer by a USB cable or another kind of cable and connect through the computer(internet)?
If necessary, shield the DXG so that the 3G antenna doesn't get a signal.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:

Tell me can you connect the DXG to your computer by a USB cable or another kind of cable and connect through the computer(internet)?
The above work around may or may not work, but you should still try to have Amazon fix the problem or tell you what to do so that you are given a valid trial period.

Good luck.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:

There might be some hacker's solution along these lines.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:54 AM   #11
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
According to this page the Kindle Owners' Lending Library is only available to U.S. Amazon Prime members who own Kindle devices. Qualifying Prime members can borrow ebooks during the free one-month trial period.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
According to this page the Kindle Owners' Lending Library is only available to U.S. Amazon Prime members who own Kindle devices. Qualifying Prime members can borrow ebooks during the free one-month trial period.
I am a US Amazon Prime member with a Kindle device (KDX). There is no Amazon Prime for any other country. Doesn't mean that I am in the US very often.

Last edited by HansTWN; 01-18-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
I am a US Amazon Prime member with a Kindle device (KDX). There is no Amazon Prime for any other country. Doesn't mean that I am in the US very often.
To use a colloquialism, I am probably "singing to the choir" here, but I don't think you have mentioned trying to find a solution from other users at the Kindle DXG forum.

I would pose it as "what are you supposed to do, when you are out of cellular phone range, but you do have an internet connection via phone, cable or satellite."
Old 01-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
To use a colloquialism, I am probably "singing to the choir" here, but I don't think you have mentioned trying to find a solution from other users at the Kindle DXG forum.

I would pose it as "what are you supposed to do, when you are out of cellular phone range, but you do have an internet connection via phone, cable or satellite."
First thing I did was to open a thread in the Kindle developers' section. It has been read by 100 people, but there is no reply until now. Either the resident Kindle hackers have not seen it yet, or they can't think of any solution possible. Well, Lunar New Year holidays are coming up and I will have plenty of time to roam the net looking for something.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Thanks for the heads up. It was difficult to browse on the device only. This month I finally chose a book just by looking at the most popular lists until I found one I wanted ..... and then one day later ran across one I wanted much more.

I'm glad to at least be able to browse the eligible lists by computer now.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote