Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
ASetsuko
ASetsuko began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
full new new yorker

hi, i am a total layperson so it's been hard for me to follow the directions for recipes, and i'd very much appreciate some help. i've been considering subscribing to the new yorker, but don't want to unless i can read it on my ereader (i have a new sony prs-650).

i noticed in calibre the ny review of books has two options, and one allows you to plug in your subscription info, whereas the new yorker option only has the version available to non-subscribers on their website. so, before i ask for advice on the recipe technicalities, i'd like to know whether or not the correct recipe would enable me access the full subscription version.

i'm less concerned about graphics, cartoons etc. i just want to be able to read the full text of all the articles.

thanks so much to whoever can answer this!
ASetsuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
why dont you try a new yorker download (since it doesn't require account info) and see if you're happy with what you get.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
ASetsuko
ASetsuko began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
thanks for replying so quickly! unfortunately i have tried the new yorker download and unfortunately the stuff available sans subscription tends to exclude the collection of nonfiction feature articles that i enjoy reading. is that definitely my only option? there is no way to make it like the new york review of books, where you can plug in your subscription info?
ASetsuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
there may well be, but in order to answer your question, you will need to provide the login details so someone can try to improve the recipe.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It is not possible to create recipe for full new yorker since they do not publish all articles on their website. The only way to access them is to use digital edition which is e-paper flash based like.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Websterny
Websterny began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
I'm also looking for the full New Yorker on my device. kiklop74, many thanks for contributing ... But any chance you could take a second to be less cryptic? What does "use digital edition which is e-paper flash based like" mean??? Is "digital edition" a site, a device, a software package, a subscription, a philosophy, a religion ... As a practical matter, how does "digital edition" relate to the problem of getting the New Yorker content on the e-reader?

thanks!
Websterny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Websterny View Post
But any chance you could take a second to be less cryptic? What does "use digital edition which is e-paper flash based like" mean??? Is "digital edition" a site, a device, a software package, a subscription, a philosophy, a religion ... As a practical matter, how does "digital edition" relate to the problem of getting the New Yorker content on the e-reader?

thanks!
Calibre obtains content for all recipes by "scraping" web pages. That means it loads web pages with articles and removes all extra parts of the page and keeps the text. That process can be performed ONLY on HTML pages - which means where content is in text format.

If you have a content displayed through use of flash - which is the case of new yorker e-paper edition than we can not extract the text since it is displayed in the page as image.

I mentioned digital e-paper edition since it contains all articles but they can not be treated with calibre. Standard New Yorker web site does not contain all of the articles in HTML format.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Kiklop knows this, but for the record:

Since the site itself is HTML, it's sometimes possible to grab flash-based images from a site. I wrote some recipes for flash-based photo-album sites at the last Winter Olympics. I just scraped image links from the flash-code (well actually, I scraped an intermediate link and scraped links from that page), then grabbed the images and displayed those. I was even able to grab image labels and comments for each.

That worked great for sports photos, but it isn't likely to be worthwhile for images of text.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
kiklop74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Kiklop knows this, but for the record:

Since the site itself is HTML, it's sometimes possible to grab flash-based images from a site. I wrote some recipes for flash-based photo-album sites at the last Winter Olympics. I just scraped image links from the flash-code (well actually, I scraped an intermediate link and scraped links from that page), then grabbed the images and displayed those. I was even able to grab image labels and comments for each.

That worked great for sports photos, but it isn't likely to be worthwhile for images of text.
It is perhaps possible to get first image but you will end up with non scalable image that will be unreadable on the device, unless you suggest we start using OCR. Where would that end? People just need to realize that there are things that are not possible with current version of calibre. If you do not like this you will just have to get the paper edition or read e-paper edition on your computer.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
It is perhaps possible to get first image but you will end up with non scalable image that will be unreadable on the device
It looks to me like we are in complete agreement.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
kiklop74
Guru

We are but I just wanted to avoid another user question in this thread.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
We are but I just wanted to avoid another user question in this thread.
I was trying to make sure that anyone else who sees this thread knows that flash is not a total bar to a useful recipe. If someone wants to grab photos, it may be easy. If they are willing to live with images of text, that's up to them. It's not something that should be a builtin, but for those who read pdfs or have large tablets, they might be interested in writing their own such recipe.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #13
kiklop74
Guru

Sure, but in 99% of cases users generaly expect that somebody else does the work for them.

In any case people who would like to digitally read Full New Yorker should get iPad and The New Yorker app which gives them access to everything.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:32 AM   #14
nhow
nhow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am a New Yorker print subscriber. They now have a full print version for iPad, Kindle Fire, Nook Tablet and Android. But you need to install the apps on your mobile devices and download the magazine files directly to the device (not to PC or Mac).
nhow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
BobbyVan
Enthusiast
BobbyVan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
New Yorker for the iPhone

I notice that the New Yorker just released an app for the iPhone. I'm not sure if this changes anything, but one thing that I've always longed for is a recipe that could fetch the full magazine for digital subscribers (there's a fee today for Kindle editions, regardless of whether one subscribes to the magazine already).

So I'm wondering if the new iPhone app somehow changes the equation. Is it possible to have a recipe fetch the full magazine via the app interface?

Thanks.
BobbyVan is offline   Reply With Quote