Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
uclaser
Connoisseur
uclaser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 cover need help

My kindle 3 is on the way and should be arriving in like 2 days .
Any suggestions for a good leather cover for my kindle 3? Is the amazon one good enough or is the Medge or other brands better?

Cheers.
uclaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
The answer is, how long is a piece of string?

I think the lighted K3 cover is very nice. As well made as my Oberon cover that I have for the Nook but less bulky and more practical - although much less cool looking.

Some people don't like it though so it's a preference thing.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by uclaser View Post
My kindle 3 is on the way and should be arriving in like 2 days .
Any suggestions for a good leather cover for my kindle 3? Is the amazon one good enough or is the Medge or other brands better?

Cheers.
Haven't seen the K3 leather one yet, but the Amazon K2 leather one is pretty nice IMO, it's pretty basic and some folks like a fancier cover (like Oberon) but it dos it's job.. As far as I can tell the K3 version is pretty similar.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I really like the lighted Amazon case. It's $$ but the built in light is very nice. Plus the front cover folds back flat and makes it easy to hold while reading.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I hope I picked the right cover I went with the 35 dollar Amazon cover for my new K3. I do not understand why I will be getting my cover almost a month befor I get my K3 but that is life I guess.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
grzzly
Enthusiast
grzzly began at the beginning.

I can only recommend the Amazon cover. I got the unlighted version and the feel and look of it is great. I also don't really get why people complain about the price. It's a solid piece of real leather. That will never be cheap...

Work out yourself if it's worth it to you, but I can assure you, the money is well spent.
grzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
I really like my Amazon lighted case. It looks good, and the built-in light is really slick.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by grzzly View Post
I can only recommend the Amazon cover. I got the unlighted version and the feel and look of it is great. I also don't really get why people complain about the price. It's a solid piece of real leather. That will never be cheap...
That's the way I feel, too -- although I only have the cover, not the Kindle (yet). It's handsome yet sturdy, and the front cover bends nicely all the way around the back.

My only concern at this point is that the Kindle only fastens on its left side. The cover instructions include the following warning:

Quote:
When using your Kindle with the cover, be careful to open the front cover only. If you open the back cover and pull the cover away from the Kindle, that may cause the attachment hooks to bend and could result in cracking or other damage to the Kindle.
That's a little unsettling. I'll be carrying the K3 around in my backpack, and I don't want to walk (and read) in fear of damaging the thing. I'm going to wait and see how it works in practice. If it feels tenuous, I'm going to look into alternatives, including the forthcoming Oberon covers, which attach more securely.

Last edited by Viseguy; 08-28-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viseguy View Post
That's a little unsettling. I'll be carrying the K3 around in my backpack, and I don't want to walk (and read) in fear of damaging the thing. I'm going to wait and see how it works in practice. If it feels tenuous, I'm going to look into alternatives, including the forthcoming Oberon covers, which attach more securely.
Opening the back cover shouldn't be a problem unless you're opening it blindly somehow. The back is blank except for the light in the corner, if you have the lighted cover. The front has a distinct smooth edge and the elastic string running down a groove in the cover. The string has a large flap attached to it. The difference between front and back are very noticeable, even by touch alone.

In normal operation you'd have to reach around to the front and release the elastic string before opening the back. I wouldn't worry as long as you're even minimally careful.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Opening the back cover shouldn't be a problem unless you're opening it blindly somehow. The back is blank except for the light in the corner, if you have the lighted cover. The front has a distinct smooth edge and the elastic string running down a groove in the cover. The string has a large flap attached to it. The difference between front and back are very noticeable, even by touch alone.
Good point. That covers most situations. I'm thinking of the scenario where I take a break from reading and put the reader down on my lap, front cover down and elastic not fastened. I might then absentmindedly open the back cover to resume reading, as if it were a p-book (half-century-old reading habits die hard). I know, the short answer is "Don't do that", but I wouldn't want to have to think too hard about it. After all, I bought the cover to protect the Kindle. I don't want to have to handle it as if it were a ticking bomb.

I'm not getting lathered up about it, though. I'll just wait and see how it works in practice.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viseguy View Post
I'm going to look into alternatives, including the forthcoming Oberon covers, which attach more securely.
I just looked at those, they are pricey, but look to be worth it. When are the covers for the the Kindle 3 going to be released.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:43 AM   #12
uclaser
Connoisseur

Thank you for all the suggestions . I am kind of leaning towards the Oberons, they look so cool, especially the Red Sky Dragon . The price is kind of steep though, like half of the actual Kindle itself Hopefully the Kindle 3's Oberon cover will have a price reduction haha.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Regarding opening by the back cover, Amazon has placed a bungie cord to keep it closed which you would have to pull on and place behind the back flap when reading like a book or over both flaps when folded over. The bungie is only accessible from the front, it it has a tab on it to make it easier to lift. If you use the bungie, it's difficult to see how you would open the back cover.

Also, I run to work carrying my Kindle in my backpack about 2 miles. No damage so far. I only carry my lunch and a change of clothes tho.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have the lighted cover and tested out the light last night. I love it! it works really, really well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #15
uclaser
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have the lighted cover and tested out the light last night. I love it! it works really, really well.
Is the leather quality good on those lighted covers? And one more thing, does the cover weigh significantly more due to the light? Thanks for the help guys