Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
kakkalla
Zealot
kakkalla doesn't litterkakkalla doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Bold font issue

In some of my epub books, the type is the Bold weight of whatever font I choose on my iPad.

Is it possible to convert the epub so that the Roman weight is substituted for the Bold?

Thank you.
kakkalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakkalla View Post
In some of my epub books, the type is the Bold weight of whatever font I choose on my iPad.

Is it possible to convert the epub so that the Roman weight is substituted for the Bold?

Thank you.
Bold is a font-weight
light, normal, bold, bolder

(Times New) Roman is a font-family (Font Face)
normal, italic, underline, strike-through all belong to the family

so the question? is you book (incorrectly) converting to Bold
or do you despise the choice of font face?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
kakkalla
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Bold is a font-weight
light, normal, bold, bolder

(Times New) Roman is a font-family (Font Face)
normal, italic, underline, strike-through all belong to the family

so the question? is you book (incorrectly) converting to Bold
or do you despise the choice of font face?
It is converted to Bold.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Interesting that no one else has jumped in
I am not a Apple (anything) user. I Use the EPUB output format exclusivly.

What format are you converting FROM and what format are you converting TO?
there are conversion settings that may affect (overide) a poorly formatted document that used Bold everywhere
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As theducks says bold this is just one of the available weights. So try the following as Extra CSS (Preferences -> Common Options) in Calibre:
Code:
body {
	font-weight: normal;
}
This will only work on DRM-free ePubs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
kakkalla
Zealot

Thanks. I'll give that a go.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I think there is a good chance that this is an OCR conversion where the OCR software thought everything was bold - if the css solution doesn't work you could also use the following Search & Replace regex from Sigil's code view:

Code:
</?b>
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
kakkalla
Zealot

Hmm. I don't understand where to put that code. Can I read up about this in the manual?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm. I don't understand where to put that code.
Preferences is the gears icon, then select Common Options under Conversion. It took me a while to see it too, but it goes in the text box at the bottom of the page.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Quote:
Hmm. I don't understand where to put that code. Can I read up about this in the manual?
Preferences is the gears icon, then select Common Options under Conversion. It took me a while to see it too, but it goes in the text box at the bottom of the page.
Again once you're on the page you may have to scroll down to see the Extra CSS text box.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
kakkalla
Zealot

Ok. Got that. So now in the Extra CSS panel I have:

body {
}

Then I need to add </?b> there, yes? So I will end up with:

body {
}
</?>

Then do I convert the book again?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Then I need to add </?b> there, yes?

Then do I convert the book again?
Don't add the </?b>. Do convert the book again.

The </?b> suggestion from ldolse was for editing the ePub in Sigil (an ePub editor). This is a last resort, if Extra CSS does not work.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
I think there is a good chance that this is an OCR conversion where the OCR software thought everything was bold - if the css solution doesn't work you could also use the following Search & Replace regex from Sigil's code view:

Code:
</?b>
Then I need to add </?b> there, yes? So I will end up with:
No, ldolse was referring to editing things via a program called Sigil.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #14
kakkalla
Zealot

OK. Thanks.

I'll give it a shot and read up on Sigil.

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:55 AM   #15
kakkalla
Zealot

Problem solved.
I opened the epub in Sigil. In the stylesheet document, the class = "calibre3" has font-weight: bolder. I changed this to normal and all is well.

Hope this helps someone else.

Cheers.