Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Talking what's the catch ?

I see the number of companies making e-readers has surpassed 20 and the number of e-readers is even greater, and the profits from e-book sales for Amazon and everybody else are on the rise, and a meteoric rise at that - something like 50% market growth a year !
So what puzzles me is why ? I guess this depends on the culture in the part of the world in question but in general relatively few people read books willingly, and out of those that do it has been my experience that the majority don't want to read metallic gadgets instead (myself not included there of course). And of those very few that do read and do like gadgets enough to not miss paper every single one (including me) has/wants an e-reader for the single reason that you can read a million books on it for 0$ (unless you really want to pay for them out of the goodness of your heart and donate to the poor rich people who write them that is) while paper books cost real money, and lots of it where I come from. If I had to pay for digital files the same amount of money I pay for real books, I would never have bought an e-reader.
Getting to the point - most of the prospective market are probably Americans, and 99% of Americans for reasons completely puzzling to me (might it be capitalistic indoctrination ?) actually believe you should pay for copying digital files from the Internet (like books, movies, music, games, apps...) so why the heck buy and use e-readers ? If the books aren't free the only advantage as far as I can see is portability ? And still e-readers are becoming more popular every day ?
This is most puzzling, so if you happen to be a capitalist anti-pirate pig please enlighten me as to your reasons for buying an e-reader ?
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
If the books aren't free the only advantage as far as I can see is portability ? And still e-readers are becoming more popular every day ?
You're forgetting plain-old laziness and instant gratification.

I for one, love not having to make a 45 minute trek to the nearest bookstore that carries the titles I would want to read. Also, the ability to go from researching an author to reading that author's work in seconds, was a huge incentive for me. Waiting 4-5 days for delivery (if I ordered the pBook online) played hell with my ability to plan out my reading schedule. With an ereader, I can read a review of the book and be reading the same book 1 minute later. Bada-bing!

So there's a lot more driving the industry than simply portability and geekiness.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Buying an eBook reader is cheaper than buying a new house. My house was literally full to bursting with books. Bookshelves, double-stacked, on every wall. Now I have thousands of books on a hard disk the size of a pack of playing cards.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu of Abydos View Post
I see the number of companies making e-readers has surpassed 20 and the number of e-readers is even greater, and the profits from e-book sales for Amazon and everybody else are on the rise, and a meteoric rise at that - something like 50% market growth a year !
So what puzzles me is why ? I guess this depends on the culture in the part of the world in question but in general relatively few people read books willingly, and out of those that do it has been my experience that the majority don't want to read metallic gadgets instead (myself not included there of course). And of those very few that do read and do like gadgets enough to not miss paper every single one (including me) has/wants an e-reader for the single reason that you can read a million books on it for 0$ (unless you really want to pay for them out of the goodness of your heart and donate to the poor rich people who write them that is) while paper books cost real money, and lots of it where I come from. If I had to pay for digital files the same amount of money I pay for real books, I would never have bought an e-reader.
Getting to the point - most of the prospective market are probably Americans, and 99% of Americans for reasons completely puzzling to me (might it be capitalistic indoctrination ?) actually believe you should pay for copying digital files from the Internet (like books, movies, music, games, apps...) so why the heck buy and use e-readers ? If the books aren't free the only advantage as far as I can see is portability ? And still e-readers are becoming more popular every day ?
This is most puzzling, so if you happen to be a capitalist anti-pirate pig please enlighten me as to your reasons for buying an e-reader ?
Most urban Americans earn their living from some sort of intellectual property. Few of us actually MAKE anything you can hold in your hand any more. Paying others for THEIR intellectual property is a form of enlightened self interest. We consider people like you, a common thief. Sorry for being so blunt, but that's true for a significant number of Americans.

I suspect that as the economy of your country develops, your peoples attitudes towards intellectual property will change as well.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Being closer to your situation than to that of U.S. citizens (I refuse to call them "Americans", I am an also an "American" but not a U.S. citizen), I can only guess, but I think some answers could be:
  • Access to public domain books
  • Access to free books offered by self-published authors, many of them only publishing digitally
  • Access to free books written in languages other than english which are hard to find in brick and mortar shops
  • Access to library ebooks
  • Access to books not easy to find in paper but which have been recently released electronically
  • Portability
  • Having run out of space at home for storing pbooks
  • Reading news
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Like Harry, my home overflows with physical books. Every time I moved I gave away a library's worth and still they pile up. A big benefit of e-readers to me is when I'm done with an e-book it sits on a hard drive. I don't have to find it a home.

Second major benefit is having multiple books packed this lightly. I travel more than average. Even when I'm not traveling I hop between books to suit my mood and, again, a single device is convenient and always with me as opposed to two or three p-books.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
1. I like gadgets
2. I like to read
3. I like the ability to have a couple books with me should I choose to do so
4. I like the ability to simply get a book anytime, anyplace, and enjoy it as soon as my kindle can download it.

And it gave me the opportunity to combine reasons 1 and 2
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Book readers tend to be older, which means they can generally afford to buy a few books/ebooks and did not grow up with the idea that copyrighted material is free on the internet. It isn't clear what will happen as the book buying cohort shifts towards the internet generations. An advantage book publishers have is that they already convinced readers to pay at multiple price points for the same material. However, in the long term I can't see any way for ebooks to be priced above $6-7 within 6 months of their release. We won't really know what ebooks "should" cost (i.e. their market price) until they dominate the market, which I would put at about 25% of a publisher's total revenue.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
And of those very few that do read and do like gadgets enough to not miss paper every single one (including me) has/wants an e-reader for the single reason that you can read a million books on it for 0$ (unless you really want to pay for them out of the goodness of your heart and donate to the poor rich people who write them that is) while paper books cost real money, and lots of it where I come from. If I had to pay for digital files the same amount of money I pay for real books, I would never have bought an e-reader.
Most authors aren't rich, and most Americans don't steal.

Pablo, in English, the word for people who live in the US is "Americans." You live in South America, so you are a South American. I live in North America, so I am also a North American.

Your language may use different conventions, and that's fine...but we're not speaking your language.

I didn't invent the term, but I will point out that "Americans" was to distinguish the people living in the new United States from the British, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Indians who occupied the rest of N. and S. America.

Waiting 40-50 years (or more, in some cases), declaring your own independence, and then stating that Americans are no longer allowed to call themselves that is, well, pointless.

And, again, there is no continent of "America" in English.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
stating that Americans are no longer allowed to call themselves that is, well, pointless.
I never said that you cannot call yourself "American". You of course can call yourself whatever you want. I just said that I refuse to call U.S. citizens "Americans", even though that is the accepted convention in english.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
We consider people like you, a common thief.

All of my reasons for buying an eReader have already been listed by others so I won't bother repeating them here.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
One of my biggest reasons is that I can make the print large enough to read. Now, at 78, I find most books I bought years ago have had their print size shrink to the point where is is difficult, if not impossible to read.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
...And of those very few that do read and do like gadgets enough to not miss paper every single one (including me) has/wants an e-reader for the single reason that you can read a million books on it for 0$ (unless you really want to pay for them out of the goodness of your heart and donate to the poor rich people who write them that is)
Has this "rich author" fallacy still not died? Merely being a published author does not make one rich. Far from it, in many cases. As for "donating" out of the "goodness of your heart", well, generosity and morality are not necessarily the same thing. We're talking about theft here, not choosing not to give to charity.

Quote:
Getting to the point - most of the prospective market are probably Americans, and 99% of Americans for reasons completely puzzling to me (might it be capitalistic indoctrination ?) actually believe you should pay for copying digital files from the Internet (like books, movies, music, games, apps...) so why the heck buy and use e-readers ? (snip)This is most puzzling, so if you happen to be a capitalist anti-pirate pig please enlighten me as to your reasons for buying an e-reader ?
I have as much trouble relating to your perspective as you apparently have relating to mine. I get paid for what I do because it has value to another party. Tangibility is irrelevant, as is the ease with which the work could be duplicated. Why should this be any different for an author, musician, software developer, etc?

Do you honestly believe that the laws in place to protect the creators if intellectual property should not exist? While I feel that there are many problems with DRM that I'd like to see go away, that is a completely separate issue from copyright theft and piracy. Most people I know, even heathens like me, have a pretty good grasp on the fact that stealing is wrong regardless of how easy it may be.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Just realized that, in my indignation, I forgot to answer the actual question. I bought one for portability, access to some things that aren't available on paper, and gadget appeal. Now that I have it, I find it a pleasure to use, so I guess add "enjoyable reading experience" to my list of reasons.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #15
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I think widespread piracy would be as good for ebooks as it was for mp3 12 years ago. It will create a demand for hardware readers, that demand will drive prices down to a level that the mainstream readers will want to pay. Once those people buy their readers they will be looking for content to buy for it. Most likely they will get their content from the same place as their reader, or if they buy an independent reader they will go to sites they have heard of and trust.

I bought my reader to read books that don't exist in paper form or if they do they are too expensive on the second hand market to justify. Pros for buying ebooks rather than downloading them for free (to me) are:

1. more likely to read it.
2. I can buy it as soon as it comes out, I don't need to wait for someone to upload it.
3. At the price I pay it's not really worth spending time looking for a free one.

Barriers to buying ebooks (to me):

1. I already own it in paper form.
2. Not available in ebook form.
3. Not available in my country.
4. Too expensive.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote