Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #61
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstonian View Post
What does "PU" signify in the name of this cover?
Fake. Not real leather.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #62
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstonian View Post
What does "PU" signify in the name of this cover?
Answering my own question after a quick search ... thanks Wikipedia. I didn't realize it was a general term, not something specific to Kobo.

"Bicast leather (also known as bycast leather, split leather or PU. leather) is a split leather with a layer of polyurethane applied to the surface and then embossed. Bycast was originally made for the shoe industry for glossy shoes, and recently was adopted by the furniture industry. The resulting product has an artificially consistent texture that is easier to clean and maintain."
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #63
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
It's like Naugahyde. That vinyl-style fake leather. I picked it over the cloth as it can be cleaned easily. I'm hoping the real leather one feels more substantial for the weight added, even though the PU Sleepcover doesn't feel like it'll fall apart.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #64
ashan
Connoisseur
ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: could be Kobo Glo or KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrXca View Post
Here you go, for the "Glo PU SleepCover - Black"

Cover closed:
Spoiler:

Very smooth finish, back has embossed Kobo Logo.

Cover Open:
Spoiler:

A bit stiff yet (doesn't lie flat) but it's brand new so I think it will get more supple over time, I'll miss the pocket my touch cover had in the front cover.

Corner Clip Detail:
Spoiler:

Looks like a much better choice than the elastic corners, the reader locks in place easily and doesn't seem to want to come out accidentally, we'll see how it lasts.
You can also see the "extra" space around the reader that I don't like, but others may be OK with it.

Quality not the best, used my ancient (relatively speaking) smartphone as the DSLR is down for the count.
Looking at this I remember how nice was living on my street with my mums friend and neighbor that could modify anything with scissors and sewing machine for 2-3 *equivalent* dollars. Or even better my aunt who was making PU couch, sofa and pillow covers and eyeglasses pouches. That time there were no ereaders and too less mobile phones. What I'm saying is: you can modify that, you can even cover it in real leather, sky is the limit, I don't know about the price though...
ashan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:23 AM   #65
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
My guess is that that quarter-inch protects the ereader when dropped.
But if it's going to drop, that edge isn't going to compress at all (at least on the cover I got, those edges are HARD) so a 16th of an inch would do just as much as that extra quarter inch.
This cover is taller than the cover I had on my touch even though the glo is shorter...
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #66
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
Thanks, looks pretty nice, the first picture seems to have a blue tint to it, is that just the camera? You mentioned that it secures the device well, but how is the build quality? Does it feel nice in the hands, anything flimsy?
I suspect the blue tinge is a combo of the camera (ancient iPhone) and the natural light that day (slightly overcast with lots of snow on the ground)

The case is nice and solid nothing flimsy about it, no visible flaws in the stitching (took me a bit to figure out where the stitching stopped/started which was on the bottom of the elastic, you can see doubled stitches in the corner clip detail.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the elastic band.
I'm OK with it, my touch case had it and I'm used to it, only ever used it if I was leaving the house with the reader and I'm hoping that once the new one is broke in, it'll be the same, right now the front cover pops up a bit if I set it down on it's back so I either have to use the elastic or make sure I place it face down so it stays closed.
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:42 AM   #67
leloustic
leloustic began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO GLO
Quote:
Originally Posted by feenix1363 View Post
I've got fed-up of waiting for the UK release so I've siliconed a rare-earth magnet (10x2mm) on the inside cover of a Touch cover.

Works a treat and cost me £7 for the cover and £2 for the magnets. And I've nine left over for my next nine covers
Hi, Do you have any photos of the operation? I have a Tuff-Luv which I used with my touch, and I'd like to have the sleep function with it. Has the magnet anything to do with sleep function, or is it a chip inside the Kobo sleepcase that allows it?

If you don't know the Tuff Luv system, here is it. I find it great to read with one hand.

http://tuff-luv.com/embrace-case-cov...-ash-grey.html
leloustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:16 AM   #68
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leloustic View Post
Hi, Do you have any photos of the operation? I have a Tuff-Luv which I used with my touch, and I'd like to have the sleep function with it. Has the magnet anything to do with sleep function, or is it a chip inside the Kobo sleepcase that allows it?

If you don't know the Tuff Luv system, here is it. I find it great to read with one hand.

http://tuff-luv.com/embrace-case-cov...-ash-grey.html
The magnet is what operates the Sleep Function.

The sensor seems to be about half an inch up from the bottom right corner of the screen.

As this is a temporary holder (Borrowed from my sons Touch) I've not bothered trying to hide the magnet but simply silicone glued it to the flap so that its in the correct position when the flap is closed.

In the picture you can see the small silver dot of the RE magnet. With hind-sight I think I'd probably use a larger battery if I'm doing it again, makes it easier to find that 'sweet-spot'.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #69
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I have found exactly the cover I want for my Glo
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emartbuy-Mul.../dp/B006ZLPUIU
but as you can see, it's for the Touch and I just can't find any of that kind for the Glo. It seem's some people here (as the picture above shows) are using Touch covers for their Glo : how is it practical to use ?

I wonder if I must wait till a hypothetical one is released or if I'm to order a touch one, leaving any hope to get one fit for the Glo very soon.
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #70
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
I finally managed to get a fabric sleep cover in Heather Grey. I have to say I am quite fond of it. I would have rathered a leather but there is still no word on those. The fabric seems like a decent backup choice. It seems nice and snug to me without adding much weight. It is much more secure thanks to the clips without blocking any of the ports or controls. Build quality is quite good (tight seems, no loose threads or pulls). The inner panel is quite solid and the magnet is not obvious. The elastic band around it provides good functionality though I would have preferred a clasp for long term durability. I am sure they could have made the case an ity bit lighter but then it wouldn't likely do nearly as good a job of protecting the device. The sleep cover only overhangs the device about 1 cm all the way around. There is absolutely no other storage pockets or spaces so you wont be using it as a wallet. The Glo performs flawlessly as far as the on off function goes with the magnet.
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #71
feenix1363
Lost and clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
I have found exactly the cover I want for my Glo
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emartbuy-Mul.../dp/B006ZLPUIU
but as you can see, it's for the Touch and I just can't find any of that kind for the Glo. It seem's some people here (as the picture above shows) are using Touch covers for their Glo : how is it practical to use ?

I wonder if I must wait till a hypothetical one is released or if I'm to order a touch one, leaving any hope to get one fit for the Glo very soon.
Thats the exact one I'm using at the moment. It fits 'OK', not great but OK.

The biggest problem with it is that the restraining strap at the top covers the light button. But it will do me until I find a real leather one that fits correctly, that I like.

I've added a magnet to it to make it into a 'sleep cover'
Old 10-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #72
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
After several days with my SleepCover in heather gray fabric, I've decided I like it very much. It's very pleasant to the touch and works really well.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #73
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I've added a magnet to it to make it into a 'sleep cover'
How do you do it? I have a Mini cover and I would like to convert it too.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:51 AM   #74
leloustic
leloustic began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO GLO
Quote:
The magnet is what operates the Sleep Function.

The sensor seems to be about half an inch up from the bottom right corner of the screen.

As this is a temporary holder (Borrowed from my sons Touch) I've not bothered trying to hide the magnet but simply silicone glued it to the flap so that its in the correct position when the flap is closed.

Thanks feenix for your answer, I'll try to do this on my Tuff-Luv Case
leloustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #75
feenix1363
Lost and clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
How do you do it? I have a Mini cover and I would like to convert it too.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=68