Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #16
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
bran, glad to hear you're doing fine on your way to hacking improving the device
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #17
Mak_plashy
Mak_plashy began at the beginning.

Device: Mak plashy
Building Hello World 4 0

I have created a custom world and have added custom map layers and LandSat7 imagery. I havent been able to add the Blue Marble imagery though. I understand that it is a plugin and once installed it should be able to be accessed but it doesnt show up on the tool bar.

When loading the default world, "Earth", it works fine. Any ideas on what I should check? When I go to the plugin load screen there is an entry for BMNG and it is checked in the custom world also.

Thanks.
Mak_plashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
Qemu

I've been able to get QEMU working, but it shows the DR800 and I need the DR1000. Anyone know how to select the DR1000 (I'm using 4.0 sources)?

Thanks in advance

Note: Preferably using the command-line, since I don't yet know how to import existing source-files into Anjuta.

Last edited by rvs; 03-20-2011 at 01:36 PM.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #19
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs View Post
I've been able to get QEMU working, but it shows the DR800 and I need the DR1000. Anyone know how to select the DR1000 (I'm using 4.0 sources)?

Thanks in advance

Note: Preferably using the command-line, since I don't yet know how to import existing source-files into Anjuta.
Hi rvs,

Good news, an extra developer for the DR

I also got the same effect as you have. What I did was to rebuild all the firmware components [1] for DR1000 and then copy these to the qemu. The only thing is that the display is still 1024x768. For me this is not a problem, it only looks better on the real dr1000

Are you using the VMWare image of Adam or do you use a different environment?
To build firmware components for DR1000 you need to set the following environment variable:
Code:
export MACHINE_NAME=dr1000s
To do a clean build of a firmware component I normally use:
Code:
autoreconf --install
intltoolize
./configure --host=arm-poky-linux-gnueabi --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr
make install-strip DESTDIR=~/Development/4.0/Install/
The 2nd, 3rd and 4th command are only needed the first time. I use: DESTDIR=~/Development/4.0/Install/ to get all generated binaries and data in a folder that I can easy access.

After a component is build I do:
Code:
scp ../../Install/usr/bin/popupmenu  root@qemu:/media/mmcblk0p1/Programs/_mackxpatch/bin/
on the linux machine and then:
Code:
cp /media/mmcblk0p1/Programs/_mackxpatch/bin/popupmenu /usr/bin/
in the emulator. Directly copying to root@qemu:/usr/bin is not possible (for all components).

(In stead of building the components yourself, you can also copy them from your DR.)

I hope this helps you in your next steps.

Before building the firmware components I would suggest to first build hello-world.

If you have more questions please ask them.

Marcel.

[1] At least the following components depend on the dr-type (1000/800s/800sg): ctb, notepad, popupmenu, settings and sysd.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #20
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll see if I can get it working. I'm still learning how to actually compile something
Advert
Old 03-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #21
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

In the past I put some information here that might also be useful.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #22
rvs
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
In the past I put some information here that might also be useful.
Thanks, I already stumbled on your blog earlier today. Will come in handy in the future I think.

As for now, the compiling failed, but I don't know where exactly. Some parts didn't compile (for instance display) and some parts did but with error-messages (mostly with intltoolize). Since the missing parts might not be critical, I still copied what I had to qemu, but now I get a white image. I'll try to read up a bit on autoconf and the like, and wll probably use your suggestion of copying from the DR before trying to compile again.
I'll let you know when I've succeeded (or if I have specific questions), but it could be a while as I need to regain some energy before i plunge myself into it again

BTW I'm using the VMWare image from Adam and I did already compile the hello_world example before and ran it on the old firmware (version 1) on the qemu and it seemed to work.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:07 AM   #23
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Thanks, I already stumbled on your blog earlier today. Will come in handy in the future I think.

As for now, the compiling failed, but I don't know where exactly. Some parts didn't compile (for instance display) and some parts did but with error-messages (mostly with intltoolize). Since the missing parts might not be critical, I still copied what I had to qemu, but now I get a white image. I'll try to read up a bit on autoconf and the like, and wll probably use your suggestion of copying from the DR before trying to compile again.
I'll let you know when I've succeeded (or if I have specific questions), but it could be a while as I need to regain some energy before i plunge myself into it again

BTW I'm using the VMWare image from Adam and I did already compile the hello_world example before and ran it on the old firmware (version 1) on the qemu and it seemed to work.
It is important to execute the following commands when you build any firmware component for the first time:
Code:
autoreconf --install
intltoolize
./configure --host=arm-poky-linux-gnueabi --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr
The parameters of configure are also important, else components like ctb and menu can not find the resources (icons etc) they are using.
When pressing Ctrl-Alt-3 in qemu, you will get the logging printed by the firmware components. Ctrl-Alt-1 will bring you back to the UI again. Maybe some error messages indicate what is wrong?
Can you share some of the error messages you get when building, maybe they are simple to solve by any of us that already has a building environment?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #24
rvs
Groupie

I started qemu again today and now all of a sudden it's working. Can't explain it, I didn't do anything.

Perhaps I should have done a reset after copying (when still on the DR800) instead of a normal shutdown. It's the only thing I can think of.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #25
rvs
Groupie

Hi Marcel,

Do you know the easiest way to install the Mackx patch onto the qemu-image? If I try to execute _apply.sh it says "permission denied". Using the shortcut doesn't work either.

Also, how do you simulate pressing the buttons of the DR with qemu?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #26
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Do you know the easiest way to install the Mackx patch onto the qemu-image? If I try to execute _apply.sh it says "permission denied". Using the shortcut doesn't work either.
I assume you created a /media/mmcblk0p1/Programs/ folder in the emulator and copied the _mackxpatch folder into it. It might be that permission of the files where not copied correctly. Check (with ls -al) what the permission is and add execution permission (with chmod +x _apply.sh) if it does not have execution permission yet.
Quote:
Also, how do you simulate pressing the buttons of the DR with qemu?
When you look into the "iOn Development Environment" document from iRex you will find a mapping of DR-keys to 'normal'-keys (page 36/37). In the emulator you can use these keys.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #27
rvs
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I assume you created a /media/mmcblk0p1/Programs/ folder in the emulator and copied the _mackxpatch folder into it. It might be that permission of the files where not copied correctly. Check (with ls -al) what the permission is and add execution permission (with chmod +x _apply.sh) if it does not have execution permission yet.
Thanks a lot, I'll try that.

The problem seems to be with the zip file. The weird thing is, the executable flag is turned on when unzipping using Windows, but not when using Linux (within VMWare). Did you zip these files using Windows or Linux?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #28
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Did you zip these files using Windows or Linux?
I used 7-zip on windows. Seems that Linux is a little more strict with permissions then windows.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #29
rvs
Groupie

From what I've read it's to do with (some?) Windows programs not being able to set Linux permissions. I also tried downloading a zip file of the sources from bitbucket and the permissions are still intact in that file.

(No need to change your routine though, it's still workable)
Old 03-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #30
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
I also tried downloading a zip file of the sources from bitbucket and the permissions are still intact in that file.
Did you see the experimental code to unlock keys (or do another action) without the stylus when left- and right-side buttons are locked in the BitBucket archive ?