Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
Completely Froze

Okay, something bizarre just happened. I was reading away on my PRS-600 when the screen froze. I couldn't turn the page or turn it on or off (I tried holding the power slide over like you do when completely shutting it back down). I even hit the tiny reset button on the bottom with the stylus. So I decided to plug it into my computer, and saw the red light come on indicating it was charging, but the Sony library program wouldn't recognize it. My computer didn't even register the device at all--you know that little "ba-doop" sounds PCs make when plugging a device in? Didn't happen. I was even getting on here to ask what the hell I should do, and then charge up my 505. Midway through writing this, the device registered (it made the sound) and the book turned on as if I had shut it down. It was frozen for about 5 minutes. Here are the facts (if they are relevant is another matter)

1. I was reading Duma Key by Stephen King, on page 393.
2. Battery gauge was half-full (two blocks).
3. I've had my 600 for about four months.
4. First time this ever happened.
5. When trying to go to next page, nothing happened.
6. Went through procedure above (tried powering on/off, plugged into comp where the red light came on, but took a couple minutes for the comp to recognize the device)
7. Upon power-up, where it has the currently reading listed on the main page of the 600, it listed A Christmas Carol, the book I read before starting Duma Key.

Duma Key itself has been a wierd read on the reader; after reading what I would estimate to be twenty books (same bought, some downloaded from here), this has never happened. What's weird about Duma Key is how each page flip on the reader does not actually constitute a page, e.i., no matter what I make the text size it says there are 518 pages. It seems to go about a page and a half to two pages before switching. I think what they did was copy the books exactly, putting as many words per page as there are in the book (does this make sense? it's hard to explain). I assume they used the hardback version, since there seems to be pretty many words per page. Have it formatted in this way has made it act weird. For example, if I tell it to go to page so-and-so, sometimes it brings up the little circle in the middle with arrows and says "formatting." It never did this with other books.

And, since I'm in a listing mood, here are my questions:

1. Has this happened to anyone else?
2. If yes, what did you do/how long did it last?
3. Can I expect this to happen again?
4. Why did it happen (I don't know if anyone will know the answer to this).

Thanks.
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
From the symptoms, the battery was completely flat. It has to recharge to a certain level before the machine will mount as USB.

I would suggest that you get yourself a PSP charger - it seems to charge a lot more "reliably" that way than via USB.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

It wasn't, though. The battery was half full, and I know the reading on the 600 was accurate because I know how long it takes the battery to go down. Plus, after I had it plugged in for a couple minutes on my comp, the battery is now 3 blocks. It wouldn't have charged that far up so quickly has it been fully dead (which I have experienced before).

It was like when your computer freezes on you, and you can only shut down. I have a feeling this is what happened (seeing as it is a type of computer).And I do have a PSP charger.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin View Post
Duma Key itself has been a wierd read on the reader; after reading what I would estimate to be twenty books (same bought, some downloaded from here), this has never happened. What's weird about Duma Key is how each page flip on the reader does not actually constitute a page, e.i., no matter what I make the text size it says there are 518 pages. It seems to go about a page and a half to two pages before switching. I think what they did was copy the books exactly, putting as many words per page as there are in the book (does this make sense? it's hard to explain). I assume they used the hardback version, since there seems to be pretty many words per page. Have it formatted in this way has made it act weird. For example, if I tell it to go to page so-and-so, sometimes it brings up the little circle in the middle with arrows and says "formatting." It never did this with other books.

And, since I'm in a listing mood, here are my questions:

1. Has this happened to anyone else?
2. If yes, what did you do/how long did it last?
3. Can I expect this to happen again?
4. Why did it happen (I don't know if anyone will know the answer to this).

Thanks.
It seems your duma key is an epub book. (which prompts the question, what format where the other books you already read on you reader?) Epub books have a set number of pages regardless of the font size you use, so sometimes a "page" spans three page turns, and you have pages with two page numbers, because the page changes right in the middle. Does it make sense? That's how epub works. It is practical if you want to reference a specific page, as it doesn't change with the font.

Now your reader seems to have frozen and then spontaneously reset itself, I don't know why. It has frozen on me once while reading, and the computer could not recognise it either. A reset solved the problem. It has only happened once or twice, so I wouldn't expect it to happen to you again soon. I don't believe it has anything to do with the book you're reading, but I couldn't be sure.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, I know you said that the battery meter was showing half, but it can be inaccurate. I'm just saying that from the symptoms you've described - especially the fact that it took several minutes to "respond" when connected to the computer - it shows all the signs of being a flat battery. It may of course have been something else.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, I know you said that the battery meter was showing half, but it can be inaccurate. I'm just saying that from the symptoms you've described - especially the fact that it took several minutes to "respond" when connected to the computer - it shows all the signs of being a flat battery. It may of course have been something else.
Good point. The battery icons on electronic devices are often way off. I too am a believer in the AC charge (PSP, or the dedicated one for your reader) as opposed to the USB charge. USB charge is more a trickle charge, and can be pretty dodgy.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
kimknapp
kimknapp began at the beginning.

Device: PRS300
I just had the same thing happen to me on my PRS300 while trying to read a pdf document. I had just changed from horizontal to vertical and then hit the + key to go to the next larger size when it locked. Didn't repond to "reset", power on/off, plugging into computer, black magic spells or anything. Finally, after a long time (much longer than 5 minutes in my case) it came back.
I don't think this is a battery issue. My battery was fully charged (just charged it) and the PRS300 is VERY light on battery use. I suspect the software went into bit heaven and finally hit a reset command (or something similar)
kimknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Good point. The battery icons on electronic devices are often way off.
When I first bought my 505, I charged it for 4 hrs through the USB. After about 3 weeks usage, the battery drop down to three bars. On the very next day, the device would not turn on and had to charge the device for several hours and do a reboot to get it running.

From what I've read here, others have experienced similar problems and a few charge cycle helps to 'calibrate' the battery gauge. But might be unusual for someone whose owned their device for 4 months and I assume, gone through multiple charge/discharge cycles. But still worth trying to let it charge up (possibly even 4 - 8 hrs via USB).
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
Drezin
Connoisseur

Yes, it must be an Epub book, omk3. You described exactly how it works. As for what the other formats I used are, they are whatever the Sony Store usually uses, and what I download from here (BBsomething).

It could be the battery, but I know my reader, as cliche as that sounds. I always charge it through my PSP charger, and the readout has always been accurate. Plus, wouldn't the reader flash a battery icon and then shut off when the battery runs out while using it? This is what happened on my 505.

And, omk3, how do you do a reset? I pressed the reset button (the tiny one on the bottom where you need the stylus or a paper clip to press it), and then held it down for about ten seconds, and nothing happened.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Per Sony Support this is the way to do a soft and hard reset for the PRS-600....
--------------------

@Drezin

Soft reset
On that back or bottom of the reader (depending your on model), using the tip of the stylus or similar object, press the RESET button.
-----------------------
To do a hard reset
WARNING: A hard reset will erase all transferred content on the Reader. It will not erase the built-in dictionary.

1. Power off the Reader.
2. On the bottom edge of the Reader, using the stylus, press the RESET button.
3. Turn on the Reader.
4. While the screen displays Opening book... , simultaneously press and hold down the back [FIG. 2] button and the VOL + button until the Reset All screen is displayed.

NOTE: If Opening book... does not display on the screen, charge the Reader's battery for several hours before attempting the reset process again.
5. Touch Yes to reset the Reader.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin View Post
And, omk3, how do you do a reset? I pressed the reset button (the tiny one on the bottom where you need the stylus or a paper clip to press it), and then held it down for about ten seconds, and nothing happened.
It seems that if you reset from frozen the screen doesn't change, even if the reset is successful. If you then power the reader back on (even if it looks on, it's probably not at this point), it comes back to life. Or that's what happened to me at least.

note: I'm talking about a soft reset here. Never done a hard reset, it probably goes as Bremen Cole describes it.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #12
Drezin
Connoisseur

Yeah, I think the soft reset was successful because when it came back on, it powered up as if it was completely shut down. The screen just didn't change.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
Gernella
Gernella began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600/Kobo Arc7
PRS 600 Completely froze

I have had the same problem not five minutes ago. Has a full battery, page stuck etc., and could not turn off even with a reset. After reading this thread I just left it on for a few more minutes then tried to turn it off. What it did was bring up the opening page as if I had just switched it back on. I have had the reader for about a month now and this is the first time it has happened. I was just starting to panic but it seems okay now.
Gernella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
Snapper69
Snapper69 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 Touch
I have just had the same problem, I went to turn over a page and it froze. It has been like it for about an hour and a half. The charge light is flashing orange. If I connect it to a computer ( not using the supplied cable, I'm at work ) the computer doesn't recognise it and the light sometimes flashes red/orange. I only got the damn thing on Saturday and charged it with a mains charger for about 3 hours. The charge indicator is showing 4 blocks and I've only read about 90 pages. I got it because my wife has a 300 and that's brilliant, but I wanted a bigger screen. I'm beginning to think I should have bought an iriver.
Snapper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #15
Snapper69
Snapper69 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 Touch
It stayed frozen for about 4 hours ( possibly due to the weather: Joke ) I tried charging it , connecting it to the computer, pressing the reset button and using the on/off button 5 times, nothing. In the end I pressed the reset about 30 times and then switched it off, hey presto it went off and switched on again. Mind you, the computer wouldn't recognise it. I unplugged it from the front usb and tried it in the back ones, nothing, In the end I plugged it back into the front, but used the 2nd usb socket and it worked. Now it's working great, I've added more books and read some more. I'm now reminded why I bought it.
Snapper69 is offline   Reply With Quote