Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: October 2009 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Flash Forward by Robert J. Sawyer 30 41.67%
The Tide Mill by Richard Herley 7 9.72%
The Moon and the Sun by Vonda McIntyre 11 15.28%
Verdant Skies by Steven Jordan 15 20.83%
Soul Identity by Denis Batchelder 9 12.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #61
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Wow, 24 votes for Flash Forward so far. Should make for some good discussion hopefully assuming it wins. Of course "Styles" had a lot of votes for this months book and there hasn't been a huge amount of discussion.

The author has a reading group guide that we may be able to make some use of.
http://www.sfwriter.com/rgff.htm
I haven't read through it yet as it contains SPOILERS so I don't know if it'll be useful or not.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #62
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
so that means voting ends on 10/5, right?
Yes, correct. BTW, if you look at the top of the poll it states this.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #63
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, correct. BTW, if you look at the top of the poll it states this.

BOb
Right. I'd just whizzed right on past it in my haste to vote.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #64
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I voted for Verdant Skies, because I started it but then got distracted. If it is chosen, then I'll have to carve out time specificslly for it and will get to finish it.

However, if you haven't read The Moon and the Sun, I recommend it highly. It is sort of alt-history fiction, mostly about court life in the tmie of Louis XIV, but with a few fantasy twists. And Vonda McIntyre is also an MR member who posts occasionally. I had it in pbook, but left it in the "library" of a vacation resort after finishing it. Maybe it turned on some people to reading? (Hope springs eternal!)
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #65
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If we don't watch TV or read, what do we do?
Duh! Read, of course. Reading is more fun than watching the boob tube.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #66
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
so that means voting ends on 10/5, right?
What?! 10th of May That must be next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
Me too.
Luckily the ESC key does the magic...
Avatars and bouncing icons just stop and stand still...
Thanks! I hate them, too. Always scroll away as fast as I can - it's so distracting.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #67
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
What?! 10th of May That must be next year

hey! You must be onea them weird feeerrreners!

I started reading "Moon and Sun" already, but it doesn't look to be the winnner at this point.

Maybe We need to recruit some voters...
Old 09-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #68
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
I started reading "Moon and Sun" already, but it doesn't look to be the winnner at this point.
I read it a while a go - or rather, I read the first half and skimmed the rest. I loved the premise and the idea of the story, but I couldn't get into it. I'd still recommend it though - I just didn't vote for it.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #69
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I read it a while a go - or rather, I read the first half and skimmed the rest. I loved the premise and the idea of the story, but I couldn't get into it. I'd still recommend it though - I just didn't vote for it.
Hmmm.....that's about the feeling I'm getting from it so far....I'm on ch 2
Old 10-03-2009, 06:36 AM   #70
kennyc

Looks like FF is takin' it....
Old 10-03-2009, 06:37 AM   #71
kennyc

Quote:
Hmmm.....that's about the feeling I'm getting from it so far....I'm on ch 2
I've decided to put M&S away after Chapter 6 and skimming a couple more....I'm just not that into it...
Old 10-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #72
Toeknee
Enthusiast
Toeknee began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZReader Pro
BooksOnBoard is having a sale for Canadians this weekend so I picked up Flashforward on the assumption its going to be selected as this month's book. I'm thinking it should be chosen given that it has a big lead.
Toeknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #73
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
FYI, Books On Board has lowered their price on Flashforward. The ePub from them is now $13.23 and you get $2.65 in reward dollars.

Diesel has added the ePub for $12.10 and lowered the Mobi price to $11.06
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:27 AM   #74
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I picked Soul Identity because I think it sounds very interesting; I just finished Verdant Skies and I loved it but it's too soon to reread; and Flash Forward doesn't need my help. But I'll probably pop over to BoB and set up an account and get my 26% off on FF. :-)
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:46 AM   #75
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
How exactly does this book club thing work?
BTW, thank you, ToeKnee for the info regarding Books on Board!
mores is offline   Reply With Quote