Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #46
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I only have HDX and the original KF. I would say it's worth it. The screen for reading is so much better on the HDX. The extra ppi makes a world of difference! If you are going to use it for reading the only two choices would be the HDX or Nexus 7.

I also prefer the form factor on the HDX to the HD. My MIL has a HD and I can say I like this one better. The buttons are great on this so easy to use.
I would like to add to your list....(having not tried the HDX or the Nexus 7).... the BN Nook HD 7" is a superb tablet for reading on, right out of the box. It has very high resolution and low weight (relatively speaking). If one is looking for a 7" reading tablet, you can't go wrong with Nook HD7 - 8gb. It has an SD card slot so plenty of room for all the files you want to add, books, music, movies. (For a gamer, 8gb would be too small, but for a reader, it's fine, and the price! You can't beat it!)

I agree with your remark regarding the 2012 Fire HD....I hate the size. But I love the smart cover!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #47
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
If price matters.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
Hi Blossom and Sirmaru. It sounds like you both have the Fire HD and HDX. I would like to buy either the new 7 inch HD, or HDX, which I want to use mainly for reading books. Do you think the HDX is worth the extra $100? Thank you.
If price matters, then get the HD 2012. However, the 2013 HDX has many more features including a glare resistant screen for use in bright places.

For basic apps both are equal.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #48
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
[QUOTE=Blossom;2660378]The 7" one. Anything bigger for reading would just be silly unless you use it for say PDFs or watching movies.[/QU

Have you tried magazines on the HDX 7 ?....
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #49
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The 7" one. Anything bigger for reading would just be silly unless you use it for say PDFs or watching movies.
Well, I don't think it would be silly. I read mostly non-fiction books, which often contain tables and other graphics, and the larger size can be helpful. I read on my old ipad sometimes, and though the screen resolution is horrible, I like the way it can split the text into 2 columns, as well as the larger size for graphics.
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #50
easterncoyote
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If price matters, then get the HD 2012. However, the 2013 HDX has many more features including a glare resistant screen for use in bright places.

Thanks Sirmaru. Do you notice a big difference in the quality of the text? As I say, I mainly will use it for reading books.
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #51
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quality of text is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
Thanks Sirmaru. Do you notice a big difference in the quality of the text? As I say, I mainly will use it for reading books.
Quality of the text is the same but in bright light the HD 2012 suffers while the HDX 2013 does not.

For those having problems with the 6 fonts available on the PW 2013, the HDX 2013 would solve them since the light is direct from the unit rather than reflected from an upper layer. The light could be dimmed down on the HDX 2013 to remove annoyance from direct light. I use both depending on ambient light.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-20-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #52
easterncoyote
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I would like to add to your list....(having not tried the HDX or the Nexus 7).... the BN Nook HD 7" is a superb tablet for reading on, right out of the box.
Thanks Booklover. I just checked it out, and it looks like a very nice device. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available in Canada ( a common problem up here)
Old 10-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #53
jswinden
Nameless Being

Blossom, did they ever add two-column landscape view to the Kindle app in the Fire? I seem to remember that was a missing feature in early models.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #54
sirmaru
Wizard

2 Column Landscape View Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Blossom, did they ever add two-column landscape view to the Kindle app in the Fire? I seem to remember that was a missing feature in early models.
Both the Kindle Fire HD 2012 and the HDX 2013 allow 2 column landscape view. I use that view with my AcroBible when showing the NIV in the left column and Strong's Numbers (Greek and Hebrew) in the right column.

2 Columns are not available in Portrait view on either, of course.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #55
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
All of a sudden the newer HDX reviews on Amazon are complaining about a purple haze around the screen when viewing a white background (i.e. reading or websites). Anyone experience this?

I know my old Fire HD had some light bleed around the edges but I didn't really care.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #56
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
All of a sudden the newer HDX reviews on Amazon are complaining about a purple haze around the screen when viewing a white background (i.e. reading or websites). Anyone experience this?

I know my old Fire HD had some light bleed around the edges but I didn't really care.
Yep it's more a blue than purple. You only notice it at certain light settings or when on a white or sepia page. I didn't even notice it as first till I read the Amazon Kindle forum's complaints. In the dark however when the Kindle at min brightness it looks greenish I was joking with my self saying look I have blobs! They are not in the reading area though. It not a defect it's obviously a design flaw.

I can say the battery life on the HDX is nothing compare to my original Kindle Fire. My other KF I can go up to two weeks on one charge this one uses half it's battery in day so I see without video use charging it every two days!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #57
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanciFreez View Post
The 7" one. Anything bigger for reading would just be silly unless you use it for say PDFs or watching movies.[/QU

Have you tried magazines on the HDX 7 ?....
Yes I have I don't have a problem. Well not the HDX but my other KF I get magazines on it. I imagine the HDX will be even better.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #58
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

You do realize Amazon has replaced the HD 2012 with a totally new tablet even a smaller bezel. The 2013 model has the new o/s Mojito and upgraded hardware. It's only $139 for 8GB and $169 for 16GB. It's a nice tablet! I am planning on getting my hubby one. It's a surprise.

The only difference is really the HDX is faster, thinner, lighter and has better screen ppi and a front facing camera.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #59
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
No they have not like I said on the other thread it seems to be they have dumb down the reader which is sad. The reader on the original Kindle Fire is awesome!

I read on Mantano last night and I loved it! It does has that feature! I can use whatever font I want too. The most wonderful thing on the HDX for night reading is......Screen Dim is no longer needed!!!! *dances* The minimum brightness on the HDX is perfect for in the dark reading.

The bad is the official case sucks for reading! I can't hold it. It adds too much weight and there no place to grip for small hands. I tried every way last night but there is no way for me to grip it comfortably so it's really is just a stand for me. (A really expensive nice stand.) I finally remove the HDX from the case (Which is super easy to do) and the difference in weight is substantial! It weighs practically nothing.

It's still is awkward to hold as there is no place to really grip it when its naked. It's too wide for my small hands to hold by itself so I propped it on my ample chest. It reminded me of holding the K3 without its cover. It's just too thin to grip and it's much wider and thinner than a K3 which I can grip alot better.

So I have to find me a cover that will work for reading till then I will read without the cover and use the cover as a case to store it in. A very expensive case that is starting to pill on the inside meaning the soft material is losing its hair already.

My Advice is to stay away from the case! I usually love Amazon's cases but this one is nothing but a stand.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #60
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I hope you will be returning that case, Blossom!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote