Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #61
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
related question: I suppose I should delete the 32 bit version, now that I am happy with 64 bit but will the standard uninstall remove anything that is still needed?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #62
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
No, all settings and plugins will stay where they are if you had install the 64bit version parallel.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #63
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
No, all settings and plugins will stay where they are if you had install the 64bit version parallel.
thanks - i removed 32 bit - 64bit still works
Old 12-28-2012, 02:47 AM   #64
Donald
Donald began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Smile

I had a problem similar to Matt9876 in post #60 in this thread. Thanks to kovidgoyal for pointing out that post and to Matt9876 for making it. I could however, set file associations to ebook-viewer.exe from C:\Program Files\Calibre2 where the 64-bit version of Calibre is located on my Windows 7 computer, apparently because I had never used it that way. I could not associate the main program though as that is the way I had used it with the 32 bit version, before I uninstalled the 32-bit version.

My fix was similar but more automated. I used the registry cleaner function of CCleaner, noticed at least one left over Calibre mention to be cleaned among the items to fix. I clicked fix all issues and immediately after it finished a few seconds later, when I tried it the main Caliber program appeared just fine in possible programs to associate, e.g. with a mobi file.

I also ran CCleaner's clean function immediately prior to that, which I mention for completeness sake, but I don't think that had anything to do with the fix taking.

I have had great luck with CCleaner by the way, but if you try the program, be aware that when uses the program to clean it will delete files so make sure you uncheck any items you do not want cleaned. An example that most will want to keep, but some will want to delete is browsing history, so make sure to uncheck it if you want to keep it.

Last edited by Donald; 12-28-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:05 AM   #65
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
How does one copy 32 bits portable library, settings, plugins, etc. to 64 bits?
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #66
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
Copy the contents of the configuration folder and replace the one over there: Note: you may need to switch/create to the desired library as this info is stored in the configuration.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #67
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Copy the contents of the configuration folder and replace the one over there: Note: you may need to switch/create to the desired library as this info is stored in the configuration.
There is no configuration folder or settings folder in the 64 bits version.

I tried to copy the library and the settings folders in the 64 bits folder but it gave no result.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #68
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I tried to copy the library and the settings folders in the 64 bits folder but it gave no result.
It is The Configuration Folder (that is not it's name, it is its task) and it most assuredly DOES exist in W64 (preferences: Miscellaneous: Open Calibre Configuration Directory )
Old 12-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #69
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
yes there is- how else could the program store preferences & add-ins ???
- it is in the same location as the 32 bit version - C users yourname - app data roaming....
Old 12-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #70
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Calibre Portable is 32bit and it keeps everything in the directory into which its 'installed'

Kovid Goyal in Post 7 in this thread wrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm not going to make a portable 64 bit version, 32-bits are portable, 64-bits are not. There are still lots of 32-bit windows systems around. You might be able to get it to work by manually replacing the contents of the Calibre folder in your 32 bit calibre portable directory with the contents of the the Calibre2 folder from a 64-bit calibre install.
BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #71
Nothingness
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Calibre Portable is 32bit and it keeps everything in the directory into which its 'installed'

Kovid Goyal in Post 7 in this thread wrote

I'm not going to make a portable 64 bit version, 32-bits are portable, 64-bits are not. There are still lots of 32-bit windows systems around. You might be able to get it to work by manually replacing the contents of the Calibre folder in your 32 bit calibre portable directory with the contents of the the Calibre2 folder from a 64-bit calibre install.
That is NOT clear at all.

Beside, it does not even mention which folder to which folder.

There are many folders at different places for the 64 bits version, so there is a difference between the c/program files/ and c/user/name/app data folders.

Beside I don't like the idea of being forced to have any file in the c/user/name/app data or c/my documents, that is one of the many reasons I prefer to either have portable versions of apps or have the files in questions on another hard disk. So like that if the C partition crashes because of a virus or something, I don't lose anything.

Last edited by Nothingness; 12-30-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #72
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
That is NOT clear at all.

Beside, it does not even mention which folder to which folder.

There are many folders at different places for the 64 bits version, so there is a difference between the c/program files/ and c/user/name/app data folders.

Beside I don't like the idea of being forced to have any file in the c/user/name/app data or c/my documents, that is one of the many reasons I prefer to either have portable versions of apps or have the files in questions on another hard disk. So like that if the C partition crashes because of a virus or something, I don't lose anything.
If those are your preferences, then stick to Portable and live with 32bits (which ain't that bad)
Old 12-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #73
Nothingness
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If those are your preferences, then stick to Portable and live with 32bits (which ain't that bad)
Well, many non portable apps allow you to take the files from somewhere else or to save them somewhere else, most of the ones I use do. Take like iTunes or Dropbox that both allow you to create folders or make backup wherever you want, which I do on a different partition. It's just a matter of adding it in the options.

As for me, I'd like to at least try out the 64 bits version of Calibre but I really dislike apps when they don't allow me to have the important files, save the files, or make backup where I want in my computer, usually not on C that is for sure. It's not safe.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #74
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
All you need is to backup the data in the Calibre Library (which is wherever YOU want it to be) and if you feel it's necessary the data in %APPDATA%\Calibre

Both of these can easily be done with any number of tools; take a look at Allways Sync for instance.

Again; the library goes wherever YOU want. The ONLY stuff on the C drive is the program and the AppData, and if you are THAT concerned about the AppData you should probably use some of the standard Windows tool to relocate your entire home directory to a different; non C drive location.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #75
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Well, many non portable apps allow you to take the files from somewhere else or to save them somewhere else, most of the ones I use do. Take like iTunes or Dropbox that both allow you to create folders or make backup wherever you want, which I do on a different partition. It's just a matter of adding it in the options.

As for me, I'd like to at least try out the 64 bits version of Calibre but I really dislike apps when they don't allow me to have the important files, save the files, or make backup where I want in my computer, usually not on C that is for sure. It's not safe.
Mountain outa mole hill 2 folders to back up, 1 IS tied to your OS logon. Been using Windows since 3.11 (the WFWG network version) and never had my user folder blown away out of the blue.

The configuration folder is easily reconstructed (though some USER plugins do have extensive configuration files) . Preferences is what is mainly stored there.

All the books and Library data is in the Library folder.