Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
OpenGG
OpenGG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Does resetting to factory defaults make kindle ready to update?

Hey guys, I have got my kindle touch 5.0 jailbreaked, using data.tar.gz method, and installed some packages , eg. GUI launcher and stuff. Now I want to upgrade to 5.0.4, it seems that I have to uninstall every package then unjailbreak, which is a lot of work.

So, could I just reset to factory defaults? Will all the packages and jaibreak go away?

Plus, when I want to install and uninstall packages, is it the same running "install*.bin" in ssh as using "Update your Kindle"? 'cuz restarting kindle takes a while when it comes to a bunch of packages.

Last edited by OpenGG; 03-27-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
OpenGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Xzwatz
Xzwatz began at the beginning.

There is no need of un-jailbreak it before the upgrade.

I've upgraded last saturday. Mi touch was jailbreaked before upgrade, and keeps jailbreaked afterwards.

My device is (was) a Special Offers. I jailbreaked it, disabled the SO, installed the screensaver hack and all works fine (before the upgrade). After the upgrade everything was just fine (SO didn't came back, screensaver was the custom one i set, etc.). Then, I installed the locale hack and now mi touch is 5.0.4 in spanish
Xzwatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
OpenGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzwatz View Post
There is no need of un-jailbreak it before the upgrade.

I've upgraded last saturday. Mi touch was jailbreaked before upgrade, and keeps jailbreaked afterwards.

My device is (was) a Special Offers. I jailbreaked it, disabled the SO, installed the screensaver hack and all works fine (before the upgrade). After the upgrade everything was just fine (SO didn't came back, screensaver was the custom one i set, etc.). Then, I installed the locale hack and now mi touch is 5.0.4 in spanish
Thank you, I will give it a try.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I'm not so sure about the Kindle Touch, but on the K3, using "reset to factory defaults" would NOT remove any hacks/jailbreaks, or, for the worse, remove only a part of them (read as in: a part of each single hack, not a part of the hacks), rendering them malfunctional in the worst case and prevent you from booting. So be extra careful. Remove hacks and jailbreaks by what their creators recommend in the relevant threads.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
OpenGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I'm not so sure about the Kindle Touch, but on the K3, using "reset to factory defaults" would NOT remove any hacks/jailbreaks, or, for the worse, remove only a part of them (read as in: a part of each single hack, not a part of the hacks), rendering them malfunctional in the worst case and prevent you from booting. So be extra careful. Remove hacks and jailbreaks by what their creators recommend in the relevant threads.
OMG... What if I already done that? Do I have to `dd` the original IMG to my partitions? Just curious.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
The situation is much more relaxed on the Kindle Touch since there's the marvellous work of yifanlu, geekmaster and others that will allow to rectify this - as you correctly say - by dubbing a clean image over the messed one.

But: I'm not even sure if it messes up at all. That was just warning because once upon the time there were some quirks with "reset to factory" on the K3. It might not apply here at all. I just thought to say a "better safe than sorry". After all, other people will stumble over this thread when asking themselves a similar question.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Most of the hacks will survive an upgrade or a factory reset (such as the jailbreak itself, or localization).

A few would be partially overwritten/erased on a factory reset, rendering the hack itself useless (such as usbnetwork or font hack), but leaving the device functional. This can be easily fixed by simply reinstalling the hack.

Finally, very few (the orientation hack in a few of its variants, if I'm not mistaken) might prevent a successful update altogether. In this case, there are prominent warning messages in the threads.

Conclusion: just try it.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
OpenGG

@Xzwatz @hawhill @ixtab

Thank you all, that's really a relief... Now I can be more confident when trying new packages.