Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
arcticmaniac
Connoisseur
arcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipse

Device: entourage pe
Anyone get Netflix works on the PE?

Not sure if this is posted (I did a search at mobileread) and didn't find any. But anyway, the folks at XDA been hard at work.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1076150

download the netflix-new-mod2.apk not the new release (6/22/2011). The new release will not work. I can log in, see my queue. However, as of 3:24PM EST 7/19/2011 i think the netflix streaming server is down because it will not play. I know they are experiencing outages because somehow i got an email yesterday
giving me 3% off my next bill.

For some reason it keeps wanting to update to the newest version, i just say no.

Still can't stream but can only view my queue and update and search for movies. Oh well.....

Last edited by arcticmaniac; 07-19-2011 at 04:04 PM.
arcticmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
muranternet
Connoisseur
muranternet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/Sony PRS-300/Nook Color running CM7/P eDGe
Take a look for a guide to getting Netflix to work on the Nook Color; it involves changing something in a prop file to misidentify the devise as a Nexus S. I have not tried this yet.
muranternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
arcticmaniac
Connoisseur
arcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by muranternet View Post
Take a look for a guide to getting Netflix to work on the Nook Color; it involves changing something in a prop file to misidentify the devise as a Nexus S. I have not tried this yet.
Thanks it seems you have to root it then modify the build.prop file in the systems folder.

for now you can only browse and change your queue.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
greyhair
greyhair began at the beginning.

Device: edge
Sorry to say, I'm about 90% confident that netflix won't play movies on the eDGe.
The android APK file actually includes 5 different (IIRC) linux libraries that are processor dependant and none of the supported devices uses a PXA processor. The application will crash when linux attempts to load the library. Basically, it appears that netflix android apps are really hybrid linux-andorid apps.
Not surprising since reading and rendering real time video at an approximately 720p resolution would be rather taxing for a java app (IMHO).
greyhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
arcticmaniac
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhair View Post
Sorry to say, I'm about 90% confident that netflix won't play movies on the eDGe.
The android APK file actually includes 5 different (IIRC) linux libraries that are processor dependant and none of the supported devices uses a PXA processor. The application will crash when linux attempts to load the library. Basically, it appears that netflix android apps are really hybrid linux-andorid apps.
Not surprising since reading and rendering real time video at an approximately 720p resolution would be rather taxing for a java app (IMHO).
doesnt the netflix apps throttle down the pixels since its for mobile devices anyway? i saw the video on how the get neftlix to work on the nook color and all the guy did was change some settings on the build.prop file. it seems parts of the file created by netflix is used to restrict which device gets it. i wonder if for example HTC or Samsung had to pay a fee to have netflix serve availabe to their handsets to make them more marketable?? i also wonder if all the bluray players and TV set makers had to pay a fee too to have netflix license the apps to stream movies?

we know entourage does not like to pay for licensing which is why we can't get android marketplace on the PE.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
arctic -

Actually, the lack of market access was actually Google's fault. The company was worried about tablets using an operating system that was designed for phones. If customers had a bad experience with such tablets, then that would permanently damage the Android brand, which at the time was just beginning to achieve traction in the smartphone market. Therefore, in order to discourage the wide adoption of Android on tablets, they banned access from the market. When the original Galaxy Tab appeared, it actually didn't have market access. Neither did the early Archos tablets. In my opinion, they really hurt the widespread adoption of these devices -- in fact, this decision made the situation worse because the tablet experience was fairly awful without market access. Some people speculate that the reason Amazon developed an app market was so they could get around Google's tablet restrictions.

I remember, back in the day, telling a friend of mine that Google wouldn't always be a benevolent company; they were simply doing so as a means of leverage against Apple devices. And this was the first "evil" thing Google did with Android. It essentially killed a bunch of little companies while assuring that the bigwigs (like HTC, Samsung, ASUS, and so on) had an edge. If you remember, Motorola got first access to Honeycomb, which they likely attained by paying a handsome fee. In fact, Google still hasn't released the Honeycomb source code, and I expect that the days of free and open Android are drawing to a close.

That said, greyhair is totally right about Netflix. The Nook probably has a supported processor. Unfortunately, the PXA is just an unusual choice for a tablet. I think it's unlikely we will EVER get Netflix support.

Last edited by kennyminot; 07-20-2011 at 05:06 PM.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
arcticmaniac
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post
arctic -

Actually, the lack of market access was actually Google's fault. The company was worried about tablets using an operating system that was designed for phones. If customers had a bad experience with such tablets, then that would permanently damage the Android brand, which at the time was just beginning to achieve traction in the smartphone market. Therefore, in order to discourage the wide adoption of Android on tablets, they banned access from the market. When the original Galaxy Tab appeared, it actually didn't have market access. Neither did the early Archos tablets. In my opinion, they really hurt the widespread adoption of these devices -- in fact, this decision made the situation worse because the tablet experience was fairly awful without market access. Some people speculate that the reason Amazon developed an app market was so they could get around Google's tablet restrictions.

I remember, back in the day, telling a friend of mine that Google wouldn't always be a benevolent company; they were simply doing so as a means of leverage against Apple devices. And this was the first "evil" thing Google did with Android. It essentially killed a bunch of little companies while assuring that the bigwigs (like HTC, Samsung, ASUS, and so on) had an edge. If you remember, Motorola got first access to Honeycomb, which they likely attained by paying a handsome fee. In fact, Google still hasn't released the Honeycomb source code, and I expect that the days of free and open Android are drawing to a close.

That said, greyhair is totally right about Netflix. The Nook probably has a supported processor. Unfortunately, the PXA is just an unusual choice for a tablet. I think it's unlikely we will EVER get Netflix support.
the strange thing is that netflix just released a new app that now supports 24 devices yesterday so i went to xda this morning and downloaded another 'new fix'

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2011

I downloaded the last file xxxxmediaclien_246.apk and it actually got past the red screen just prior to streaming and then for a second showed the video screen (e.g. with the advance, play, pause buttons) and then reverted back to the "queue' page. its alittle further than the last time.

man, if netflix would just work on this it would be awesome........

has anyone tried like hulu plus on it?
Old 09-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
gregounours
Enthusiast
gregounours began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Other PXA based android device support Netflix?

With the company dead it's unlikely Netflix will do anything to adapt the app specifically for the edge but if there are other PXA based tablets or phones out there may be there is a chance. As anybody heard of any?
gregounours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregounours View Post
With the company dead it's unlikely Netflix will do anything to adapt the app specifically for the edge but if there are other PXA based tablets or phones out there may be there is a chance. As anybody heard of any?
Installed the latest 1.4.0 but no joy. Talked to Netflix: they continue to work to cover tablets.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote