Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Could the iPhone serve as a whiz-bang e-reader?
Yes 43 26.88%
No 117 73.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2008, 09:09 AM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well Fictionwise didn't do us any favors when they purchased eReader and started promoting it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:13 AM   #62
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well Fictionwise didn't do us any favors when they purchased eReader and started promoting it.
It's easy to understand why controlling a format and a DRM system is attractive for a company: $$$.

But in the meantime, it makes things much more complicated for the end-user and for e-books in general to reach a mass-market audience.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #63
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I guess I have to disagree with the naysayers. I've owned the Sony Reader (it's out on loan to a friend) and when I bought the iPhone and was able to add books to it, I stopped using the Sony Reader altogether.

I read everywhere and having the iPhone be my reader as well is ideal. For the record, I can read a book and a half without a charge. It's definitely not as sweet as the Sony Reader's battery life (and other comparable devices) but it's not troublesome for me in any way.

I don't think I suffer from ADD and most of my reading is novel length books.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #64
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I voted yes, even though I don't have one and don't plan to get one. I like my iLiad just fine, but I think the marketing/cultural popularity of the iPhone/iPod Touch will be a huge push behind any app available, and ebooks being commercially available was the last necessary step.

Yes, the whole system could be much better designed and easier to use, but I still think it's going to be hugely popular, among people who would never have bought a Kindle. It will probably push other phone vendors into making sure ebook readers are available and promoted on their phones as well.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:30 AM   #65
Alsicole
Connoisseur
Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPhone 6, iPad Mini Retina,
Apparently Apple sold 1 million iPhones just this weekend. Add to that number the people who have upgraded their iPod touch (me included) and existing iPhone updaters and that's a pretty big number of potential readers. Even if it only introduces people to the idea that they can easily carry around a stock of books with them, it's got to be good for ereading in general as some of those people will progress to the larger dedicated devices too!
Alsicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #66
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Maybe the Kindle sold 1 Million devices but they are shy to announce it

Sure there will be a place for the Kindle and Sony and so on, as niche devices for us hardcore readers. But mass market - I guess this iPhone opening to ebooks just nailed the coffin for that...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #67
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
IMHO Two completely different animals. Yes, you can read on the Iphone BUT the Kindle is a dedicated reader. Thats what it was designed for, even the browser is primarily designed for getting more books.Trying to compare the two is an exercise in futility. Again, IMHO....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #68
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
We now have two very good eBook programs for the iPhone -- Stanza and Bookshelf. Both let you put books on the iPhone wirelessly, and both work. Bookshelf still lacks the ability to navigate -- something Stanza has. I compared the iPhone to my large-screen Clie, on which I have read many long novels, and found it is better (the resolution is higher, and the print doesn't look jagged). Everything is habit. If you get used to reading on the iPhone, you'll like it. At least that was my experience. Imagine how many books you could carry on the 16gb model. Thousands. And they're always there. I hate the Kindle.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #69
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
The iPhone offers a different experience than a dedicated reader, true, but I think quite a few people will actually prefer it, for various reasons. (I'm happy with my iLiad, but I can see how people might like the iPhone better.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #70
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Trying to be everything to everyone is a noble intention. I think this is what Apple is trying to do. I applaud their efforts. It may work for them. For me, I'll stick to my Kindle. I just want to read any book I want anywhere I want. Almost there....... Had you told me 2 months ago I would be traveling with 150plus books in my purse I would have laughed.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #71
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Smoking is bad for one's health.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #72
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Smoking is bad for one's health.
course, I had to think for a moment to 'get it'..........
Old 07-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
I hate the Kindle.
Might one ask why?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #74
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

talaivan, please, tell us why you 'hate the kindle' Do you own one?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #75
riverhorus
Gnomic Kindler
riverhorus began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE
Smoke the Kindle?

Couldn't help but weigh in with some of the other opinions about the limitations of the iPhone as a reader. Anyone trying to using it for reading a book is not a serious reader but is more interested in a making a fashion statement.
riverhorus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone, kindle