Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #91
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I recommend playing with the Mini at an Apple store. That's what I did since without seeing for myself, it's hard to tell if the pixel density of the Mini would be good enough. Based on my experience with various devices, my personal minimum is around 200ppi.
I played with one at an Apple store earlier this year and decided then to wait for a better screen, but in the Apple store I could not download Marvin and set it up how I like it for a realistic comparison. I just love the size and weight of it for reading, but really think the screen is probably a deal-breaker. :-(

My Gripster case makes the iPad 3 tolerable for reading, but ever since I cracked the screen and my husband did a DIY repair, there is still a weird flaw in the screen where it shows a shadowy area almost like a wrinkled piece of paper. Kind of annoying. So I am getting impatient.

I also have a Nexus 7 and I like the screen on that but I hate Android and battery life is the pits.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:05 AM   #92
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
I played with one at an Apple store earlier this year and decided then to wait for a better screen, but in the Apple store I could not download Marvin and set it up how I like it for a realistic comparison.
Sure you can, or at least you can in UK Apple stores.
The store has WiFi, so you can sign in to the iTunes store as yourself, download any of your existing apps and play around with them. When I was testing an iPad Mini I put some of each type of media into dropbox, signed into that to download them, then Open In...'d each to the app I wanted to test.
Just remember to delete everything and sign out of the store once you are done.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #93
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Sure you can, or at least you can in UK Apple stores.
The store has WiFi, so you can sign in to the iTunes store as yourself, download any of your existing apps and play around with them. When I was testing an iPad Mini I put some of each type of media into dropbox, signed into that to download them, then Open In...'d each to the app I wanted to test.
Just remember to delete everything and sign out of the store once you are done.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for next time.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #94
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm fine with my original iPad for wittering time away playing games or web browsing or chatting on Twitter, but I really notice the poorer resolution when reading graphic novels or reading longer-form text. My partner has a retina iPad and I have an iPhone 5, so there's plenty to compare it to, and the difference is quite stark to my eyes at a normal reading distance.

I'm rather jealous of people who can't see the difference!
I can see a difference but it doesn't bother me. I'm one that thinks that if a retina screen is going to negatively effect portability or battery life, then I'd rather not have a retina Mini.

I did go check out a Mini in Best Buy before I bought it, just to make sure that I was OK with the lower resolution..I was actually surprised at how nice it looked.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #95
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

Well, the side by side verdict is....

I love the size and weight of the mini, but I can definitely see a difference in the screen. I don't think I would be happy with it without a better screen. Reading wasn't awful... I could probably learn to live with it, but it would bug me.
Advert
Old 07-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #96
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Well, the side by side verdict is....

I love the size and weight of the mini, but I can definitely see a difference in the screen. I don't think I would be happy with it without a better screen. Reading wasn't awful... I could probably learn to live with it, but it would bug me.
That's how I feel, too. But seems like there's a bit of a wait for the retina version. I've started using my Kindle more instead of my full size iPad.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #97
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

🎶 The way-yay-ting is the hardest part. 🎶

I'm still hoping we'll see retina iPad mini revealed next week. I got an email from Sam's Club advertising $50 off all iPads (including mini) for a limited time. This bolsters my hope that new models are coming sooner than later.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #98
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
One of our IT guys at work who is an apple afficinado heard the rumor that ipad mini was being delayed till early next year because the a7 processor was delayed.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:23 AM   #99
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
I'm still hoping we'll see retina iPad mini revealed next week.
Definitely not tomorrow. The new iPad mini Retina would be revealed along with the "big" iPad 5, which likewise won't be revealed tomorrow. The wait will last at least until October.

And just like Sue, I find the current iPad mini's screen unacceptable. Sorry, but screens below 200 dpi just won't cut it for 2013, especially not in competition with the new Nexus 7 which is over 300 (!) dpi.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #100
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Definitely not tomorrow. The new iPad mini Retina would be revealed along with the "big" iPad 5, which likewise won't be revealed tomorrow. The wait will last at least until October.
NO NO NO NO NO NO... covering ears and stomping feet. Just let me have my denial one more day. ;-)
Old 09-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #101
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

Guess we're all waiting a little longer.... Yeah, I knew in the back of my mind but the front of my mind was being optimistic.