Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
kdgarris
Connoisseur
kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Good light-hearted fantasy book or series

Just like the title suggests, I'm looking for a good light-hearted fantasy book or series to delve into. It doesn't have to be traditional fantasy; modern or mixed with elements of sci-fi is fun, too.

In the past, I have enjoyed much of Piers Anthony: the Incarnations of Immortality and the Apprentice Adept series, as well as the first dozen or so of the Xanth books. I also enjoyed the "Magic Kingdom for Sale" series by Terry Brooks.

I'm sure there are others, but I'm not thinking of them at the moment. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
kdgarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Robert Asprin's Myth series?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
MMHaven
MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kindle Touch
Gordon R. Dickson's Dragon Knight series, starting with The Dragon and the George, pretty much all of Christopher Moore's books, A. Lee Martinez's Gil's All Fright Diner or A Nameless Witch (I'm sure his others are great also, but those are the two I've read).

Edit: Rick Cook's Wizard series; the first two books are available from the Baen free library.

Last edited by MMHaven; 08-15-2011 at 02:03 PM.
MMHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Maybe Kim Harrison's Hollows series (starts with Dead Witch Walking)? Mostly humorous and light urban fantasy. Even when it gets heavy I sense a Disney edge to it.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Discworld.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Yes! Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is fabulous!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Grunts by Mary Gentle. Orcs get into a stash of modern weaponry...the kind of cursed (or blessed) weapons that change people's personalities...leading the Orcs to become Orcish marines of a sort. Funny.

Brooks has a few more of the Magic Kingdom books you might read...they're all of the same light-hearted sort of fantasy.

David Edding's Belgariad (and Mallorean) can be downright funny.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:23 AM   #8
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
L. Sprague de Camp sort of pioneered this, IMHO. The Reluctant King trilogy is probably the best, but also the Harold Shea Enchanters series. And his Krishna series (which is more planetary romance, which is basically fantasy without the magic).

None of which seems to be available in e-book form.

Actually, speaking of planetary romance, you might like Gordon Dickson's "The Right to Arm Bears", which is nothing like the title, but deals with somewhat comic adventures on a world full of talking bears
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:54 AM   #9
William F
Pirosopher
William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kindle, pc
Blue Moon Rising and Beyond the Blue Moon, By Simon R Green. Also the rest of Hawk and Fisher's adventures in various volumes.
If I may offer a small teaser.
"In those days, there were heroes and villains, and darkness walked the earth. There were dragons to be slain, captured princesses to be saved and mighty deeds to be accomplished by knights in shining armor.
"Many tales are told of that time, tales of steadfast bravery and derring do...
This isn't one of them."
William F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
kdgarris
Connoisseur
kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I have read the Myth series, and I loved it - the perfect example of the kind of thing I was looking for.

I'll likely start with Rick Cook's Wizard series, since it's nice to get the first 2 free to see how well I like the series!
kdgarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Grunts David Edding's Belgariad (and Mallorean) can be downright funny.

Second Belgariad. If you can find it, you may also enjoy Silverlock by John Meyers Meyers. It's a fen favorite.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #12
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
Nthing Discworld -- very, very fun series. I'm on the seventh book right now and it's delightful.
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #13
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
Also agree the Belgariad series by Davis Eddings
you also might like to try the Spellsinger series by Alan Dean Foster

Mike
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sir Terry Pratchett, the author of the Diskworld novels, also has some parallel book in the same universe but for younger audiences. Look for "The Wee Free Men", "Hat full of Sky", "Wintersmith".

Favorite quote from the book: "Give a man fire and he is warm for a day. Light a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life."

NOTE: I just found that they made a movie out of "Going Postal". Disk can be pre-ordered from Amazon.

If you like books with some snark - check out "Sweet Silver Blues" by Glenn Cook. Mix sam-spade with tolken, beer and chesty broads - you get the idea. About 8-10 books in the series.

You might also like the Dresden novels by Jim Butcher. Start with "Storm Front" to see if you like it. If you like Audiobooks - the novels are narrated by James Marsters ('Spike' from the Buffy series).

You really might like the "Thursday Next" series by Jasper Fford about a young Literary Detective who discovers it is possible to enter the Book World and interact with the characters. Start with the "The Eyre Affair" to see if you like it. WARNING: It may cause you to read classic literature to learn the back-story of some of the characters.

Note: I just saw that Amazon has all 5 Thursday Next novels in a digital collection for the Kindle for about $60. ... must resist the boxed set.... (In the novels a "Boxed Set" is the highest honor that can be given in the Book World.)
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #15
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
another fan of the belgariad. another eddings i recommend is the redemption of althalus. only one book, but it's long enough to count for 2. and if you haven't checked out spider robinson's callahan's crosstime saloon series. light hearted fun, more scifi than fantasy, but fantasy is in there, too - plus lots of puns. to give you an idea, one of the books - and don't skip ahead to it first - is called lady slings the booze. oh, another one i really liked was patricia c. wrede's enchanted forest chronicles. and i assume that you either don't care for light hearted scifi or have already read the hitchhiker's trilogy?

while i love the dresden files, i wouldn't call it light hearted, even there is a lot of witty repartee thrown about.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote