Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #76
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
You call ebooks cheap:

The Crippled God by Steven Erikson

Towers of Midnight: Wheel of Time Series, Book 13 by Robert Jordan

Dust of Dreams by Steven Erikson

?

I think people who would call these ebooks cheap don't spend their time on the Internet or forums.
(Shrug) So? That's like someone claiming that food is too expensive by quoting the prices for entrees at the top restaurants in Paris.
At this PAGE I can find 600 plus ebooks for $2.99 or less. I don't think anyone is forcing you to buy the books you quoted at that price. You are perfectly free to put those ebooks on your wish list, take advantage of Amazon's Sunshine Deals, and revisit those ebooks in a year's time. And how do those ebooks compare in price to hardcovers? Nuff said.

Last edited by stonetools; 06-05-2011 at 04:29 PM.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #77
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not cheap, but I'd call those pretty reasonable. If I was a fan of either author I would have gobbled them up immediately.
Some people are BMW fans and buy them. I am BMW fan too, but I am nowhere close to be able to purchase one.
So, to me what you are saying is that you are wealthier than I am, and that's it. It doesn't change my opinion whether the ebooks are cheap or expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Or it just depends where you are. While I wouldn't call those books "cheap" in the US they aren't horrible.
I have posted the prices pertaining to where I live. Real life situation.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #78
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
(Shrug) So? That's like someone claiming that food is too expensive by quoting the prices for entrees at the top restaurants in Paris.
At this PAGE I can find 600 plus ebooks for $2.99 or less. I don't think they or anyone else are forcing you to buy the books you quoted at that price. You are perfectly free to put those ebooks on your wish list, take advantage of Amazon's Sunshine Deals, and revisit those ebooks in a year's time. And how do those ebooks compare in price to hardcovers? Nuff said.
Your comparison is not valid.
Quote:
Nuff said.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #79
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Well, I guess if you declare its not valid, then your ipse dixit is enough- at least in your world. Here on Earth Prime, you have to really argue your point.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #80
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
His point was valid..Your retort was not...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #81
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra
So, to me what you are saying is that you are wealthier than I am, and that's it.
I seriously doubt that, but either way, you can't assume it from what I've said previously.

I buy many, many cheap books—indie and otherwise. I also make extensive use of free classics. I pounce on B&N's Free Fridays. I look for Amazon specials. I scour this forum's "deals threads" for free and cheap books. That's what I'm reading 80% of the time. I do that so when my absolute favorite author(s) does release a new book, I don't even have to look at the price. I can just buy it; because I've been so frugal with the rest of my purchases during the year, that my average cost per ebook is ridiculously cheap. Literally pennies per book.

As long as you're not trying to read every new book that's released—the moment it's released... ereading is still the cheapest form of entertainment going. Trust me, I couldn't afford it if it weren't.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-05-2011 at 05:13 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #82
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I think EVERYONE can agree that "too expensive" is a subjective statement.

If this is going to become a YES IT IS NO IT ISN'T about a specific price point, beyond which everything is TOO EXPENSIVE and below which everything is VERY AFFORDABLE STOP COMPLAINING, then I call Dead Horse Thread.

Can we get back to talking about the expense of ebook in comparison to their paper counterparts? That's slightly less subjective.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #83
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Can we get back to talking about the expense of ebook in comparison to their paper counterparts? That's slightly less subjective.
Ok, on topic. The book I really want to read right now is The Postcard Killers by James Patterson. Ebook is $14.99, paperback is $9.14. $15 is way too expensive (for me) for an ebook but even more so when the pbook version is almost $6 cheaper.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #84
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well yes, it's slightly less subjective but hardly relevant to to the thread title.... just sayin'.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #85
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
Ok, on topic. The book I really want to read right now is The Postcard Killers by James Patterson. Ebook is $14.99, paperback is $9.14. $15 is way too expensive (for me) for an ebook but even more so when the pbook version is almost $6 cheaper.
And the paperback is a pre-order. If I had to guess once it's released in July the ebook price will also drop, that's usually (although not always) the case.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #86
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
And the paperback is a pre-order. If I had to guess once it's released in July the ebook price will also drop, that's usually (although not always) the case.
That's been my experience as well. I think it's only fair to compare the "available right now" ebook price to the "available right now" physical book price. Anything else is slightly disingenuous. When you preorder (from Amazon at least) you're guaranteed the lowest price anyway.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #87
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
When you preorder (from Amazon at least) you're guaranteed the lowest price anyway.
Are they doing that for Kindle books now? They didn't used to.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #88
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak
Are they doing that for Kindle books now? They didn't used to.
If you preorder the ebook and the price drops after you order, then yes, you get the lower price. It just doesn't happen very often with the current Agency pricing setup, but I've had it happen on a few of my purchases.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #89
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Hopefully, but it was just an example. There are many other ebooks that are more expensive than paperbacks. Don't ask me to list them though, I don't remember and going through my to read list is a bit tedious with all the books on it lol.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #90
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
Hopefully, but it was just an example. There are many other ebooks that are more expensive than paperbacks. Don't ask me to list them though, I don't remember and going through my to read list is a bit tedious with all the books on it lol.
Oh, I know there are eBooks which cost more than their print counterpart. In general I find it happens with Hardcovers and with Trade Paperbacks most often because the pbooks can be discounted while the ebooks can't and HC's and Trades are most often the ones discounted. Usually the actual list price of those books is higher than that of the ebook, but the street price is another story. While there are some mass market paperbacks that are priced higher I find in general mass markets don't get discounted as often and the price of the ebook is usually the same or a buck less (not always). Of course it can be very book specific.