Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #31
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
That's certainly one way to, well, end this discussion before it even began- react to a sensible statement by reacting all offended and not giving any arguments at all. I'll continue to help run this forum as my personal fiefdom, thankyouverymuch.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #32
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
That's certainly one way to, well, end this discussion before it even began- react to a sensible statement by reacting all offended and not giving any arguments at all. I'll continue to help run this forum as my personal fiefdom, thankyouverymuch.
And another post proving my point -
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
And another post proving my point -
You seem to live in a never never land where proof is by assertion.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #34
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You seem to live in a never never land where proof is by assertion.
And another! With a gratuitous insult thrown in for good measure. Classy!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #35
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And another! With a gratuitous insult thrown in for good measure. Classy!
It wasn't gratuitous, it was *very* well deserved.
Advert
Old 04-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #36
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It wasn't gratuitous, it was *very* well deserved.
Well it wasn't, but I'm bored of you now so I'll leave it there.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #37
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Well it wasn't, but I'm bored of you now so I'll leave it there.
Buh bye
Old 04-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #38
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Personally, yes. But the Calibre forum is run by a bunch of guys as if it were their own fiefdom and there's nothing you, or anybody else, can do about it.
Sure there is: you can set up your very own forum and run it however you like!
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #39
Fi3ryPh03n1x
Fi3ryPh03n1x began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Wow. Apologies all around to Kovid et. al. for the offhanded remark that sparked such stimulating and edifying debate. I just thought it was a funny observation. But I am, however, disappointed that the subject wandered so far down the rabbit trail. I just thought that I had a different concept for dealing with a problem that was worth consideration and perhaps some enlightenment from programmers (again, Kovid et. al.) who could help illuminate pros/cons and how much effort an idea like this would be to implement.

If there is anyone following this thread who is interested in more than how myopic the moderation is or is not, I'm still following along hoping for something a bit more "on-topic".
Fi3ryPh03n1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #40
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Offhand remarks do take on a life of their own sometimes - the joys of electronic based communication without context.

In terms of your original series post - I believe Starson17 on two different threads now has given you a long list of very good reasons why this is unlikely to be attempted any time soon. You have to remember that the series field is not used in isolation for just display/sorting in the library view. The pandora's box of problems that would cascade through the rest of the app by turning it into a 1:M relationship would be immense.

If storing multiple series information is important to you, have a look into what you can do with custom columns and tags such as suggested on the "Multiple Series" thread. Personally I don't get that hung up on metadata like this. I want series info to allow me to read books in the right order and identify those I have missing. There are enough other ways to skin the cat to handle the odd series weirdness. Introducing massive complication to the UI and development for a miniscule % of books doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

Until someone can satisfactorily come up with a proposal that can address all the implications and then convince Kovid it is worth implementing, I don't think you will get much progress on this I'm afraid. But that's just my opinion both as a user and part-time Calibre developer - there are way too many other higher priority issues to be worked on.
kiwidude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #41
makeitsimple
makeitsimple began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Thanks for a great program/forum but mostly for giving your time and help to a lowly silver surfer. I better get back to reading my Kindle now.
makeitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
idea, kovid goyal, multiple, series, suggestion