Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #61
sponder
sponder began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3
Cybook broke and how I fixed it.

Hello from San Antonio,Texas. This seems like the place to post this. I am a newbie at this, and so I apologize in advance if I violate some rule or protocol. A strange thing happened last week. After finishing a book, I attached the Cybook to my computer to load another book and Mobipocket informed me that the Cybook was not connected. I checked My Computer and it no longer showed it as Cybook but as drives K: and L:. When I clicked on drive K: I was informed that it could not be opened because of a corrupted file or directory. When I clicked on drive L: I was told to insert a disk in the drive. I disconnected the Cybook and booted it up. My library was now empty of all books and pictures. The only thing I can think of that might have caused this is that I was not using the safely remove hardware button, but just disconnecting. Needless to say I had not backed up the files. I emailed Bookeen and told them of my problem and 3 days later they responded with a request for my serial number and nothing else. I noticed some earlier post concerning a similar problem by Swedish11. I downloaded build 796 (I'm 834) and followed the directions. Nothing happened on the Cybook, but an ebook, music, and picture directory were created on the sd card. I don't know if this was created by trying to load 796 or if the Cybook created them. I tried Mobipocket again and was able to load a book on to the card, and as long as the card was in the Cybook it showed in the library and I was able to read it. I responded to Bookeen's request for the serial number and asked If I could run chkdsk to try fix the corrupted files. Three days later they have still not responded. I know it's a long way from San Antonio to Paris and there is a time difference, but I can get better service than this from the Government. So I ran chkdsk anyway. My Computer now shows it as Cybook and I can now load books, pictures and PDF's on the Cybook itself. The original library is still gone but it was mostly demo's anyway so no great loss. I have now backed up my files and am using the safely remove hardware button. It would have been helpful if Bookeen had mentioned using the safely removing hardware button and backing up your files in any of their literature. I also apologize for the length of this post, but since I am incapable of doing anything original I suspect someone else will have this problem.
sponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #62
Murphy
Murphy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Dead Cybook - Help!

Hi
This thread has been very usefol in the past, and I am hoping someone can help me now.
I was reading my Cybook quite happily earlier today, then went out. When I came back I can't switch my Cybook on. It is just dead.
I have done the following:
- reset
- reset and pressed on/off button at same time
- tried pressing lots of buttons in different sequences
- removed the card
- reinserted the card
- put it on charge (red light comes on so there is some life in it!)
- plugged it into my computer - and computer cannot see it
- taken the battery out and tried another battery

I don't know what else to try. I am going away for 3 weeks in a few days and desperately need my Cybook! Use it many hours every day.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #63
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Try to put it on a wall-charger for a few hours - that might bring it back to life.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #64
Murphy

thanks Pulp. It has now been on wall charge for several hours and no change. I did wonder if it would charge if it was not shown as being connected. Still just a dead screen.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #65
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
thanks Pulp. It has now been on wall charge for several hours and no change. I did wonder if it would charge if it was not shown as being connected. Still just a dead screen.
And you did try to turn it on? Nothing will change when you charge it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #66
Murphy

Yes, done that too. Tried to turn it on when plugged in to charge and also unplugged and tried to turn it on. A number of times. And reset it again.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:23 AM   #67
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
the one last thing left that comes to my mind is to disconnect the device from the battery for a few hours and then reconnect it - if that doesn't help either if fear you will have to contact bookeen for a replacement
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #68
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Did the charging led ever come green ?

I had a problem once, my Cybook froze (that's not the problem, this happens from time to time ! ), but when I made a reset, the screen came back with stripes !
I thought then it needed to charge, but when I plugged it, instead of the charging screen, it kept its striped screen (and the led was red, when usually it comes orange !). I tried to reset it, with the cable still plugged, and nothing changed !
So I decided to let it charge a few hours, with its striped screen...
The reset then was effective.

I think my Cybook was too unloaded this time.
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #69
Murphy

Thanks for your suggestions. Have tried them all, and it is still dead.
Have emailed Bookeen and will wait to see what they have to say.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:38 AM   #70
pysjai
pysjai began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The purpose of this "sticky" thread is to document known bugs and issues with the Gen3 and - if available - solutions or workarounds for them. Please let's keep this thread strictly factual; general chat can go elsewhere.

I'll start the ball rolling with a couple of known issues and their solutions.
I've had my Cybook Gen3 for a couple of weeks now and have not been able to open books I've borrowed from KnowBetter ebook lending library. They keep coming up with the message 'book not active yet'. Their support group has tried to help and said that I need to check the date/time on my Cybook. I'm very much 'IT-challenged', and haven't a clue how to do this! I emailed Bookeen's support over a week ago, but haven't had a reply. I'd be very grateful if you have a step-by-step procedure that an IT-dummy like myself could manage! I've been reluctant to look in the 'System' folder as one bit of advice I received was not to do this as I might delete important stuff.

I've read many of your posts on freezing and would welcome your suggestion for my difficulty. This is that my Cybook freezes quite often, particularly when I've been reading for a couple of hours. I've taken to using bookmarks for each chapter so I don't have to go through all the pages from the previous freeze to find my place - but this seems to be one of the things that causes freezing! The battery is fully charged - generally goes down to 90% after a day's reading, so I recharge overnight. I've switched off the 'Auto-off'. I haven't yet tried to reformat in a different font, but will have a go. From your replies, it seems that individual Cybooks have their own freezing problems - or none at all! Again, I'd be grateful for your advice
pysjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:37 AM   #71
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Look at the mobile read wiki, it explain how to set the internal RTC of the Gen3

(here is the link: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Cybo...o_Fix_the_Date )
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #72
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pysjai View Post
I've read many of your posts on freezing and would welcome your suggestion for my difficulty. This is that my Cybook freezes quite often, particularly when I've been reading for a couple of hours. I've taken to using bookmarks for each chapter so I don't have to go through all the pages from the previous freeze to find my place - but this seems to be one of the things that causes freezing! The battery is fully charged - generally goes down to 90% after a day's reading, so I recharge overnight. I've switched off the 'Auto-off'. I haven't yet tried to reformat in a different font, but will have a go. From your replies, it seems that individual Cybooks have their own freezing problems - or none at all! Again, I'd be grateful for your advice
If your CyBook is just a few weeks old you should already have the latest firmware (1.2/build 834). There are a couple of issues known that can cause freezes/errors (on all builds):

- Only use MOBI/PRC files (you can convert all formats with MobiReader software or calibre on your PC).
- Always turn off your reader manually (no Auto-Off).
- Don't use pre-installed fonts (especially Verdana), but free available ones - lots of recomendations here in the forums.
- Just use books from the internal memory and don't use more then 20-30 books (bootup will be faster too).
- Always safely remove your reader from USB (either with Windows functions or special tools)
- Keep your batteries charged well (don't go below 30%, some even say 50).

The next update will (hopefully) be here soon and fix some of the bugs/errors, but till then, if you stick to these rules you should be fine.
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #73
Murphy

Just wanted to let you know that I sent my Cybook to Bookeen and within a week they sent me a brand new Cybook. It was diagnosed as a software fault.
Could not ask for a better service and result.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:20 AM   #74
pysjai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Look at the mobile read wiki, it explain how to set the internal RTC of the Gen3

(here is the link: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Cybo...o_Fix_the_Date )
Thanks so much - will have a go!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #75
pysjai

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
If your CyBook is just a few weeks old you should already have the latest firmware (1.2/build 834). There are a couple of issues known that can cause freezes/errors (on all builds):

- Only use MOBI/PRC files (you can convert all formats with MobiReader software or calibre on your PC).
- Always turn off your reader manually (no Auto-Off).
- Don't use pre-installed fonts (especially Verdana), but free available ones - lots of recomendations here in the forums.
- Just use books from the internal memory and don't use more then 20-30 books (bootup will be faster too).
- Always safely remove your reader from USB (either with Windows functions or special tools)
- Keep your batteries charged well (don't go below 30%, some even say 50).

The next update will (hopefully) be here soon and fix some of the bugs/errors, but till then, if you stick to these rules you should be fine.
Many thanks for your advice. I haven't yet tried to convert non-MOBI/PRC files (I've downloaded quite a few free ebooks that are in pdf - so maybe I should delete these from my Cybook?), but have downloaded Creator. Also haven't tried importing new fonts. And, yes, my Cybook isVersion 1.2, Build 834.