Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
trying to edit metadata

I am using calibre 0.7.43 on Win7/prof 64 bit. I love the tags feature and once I figured it out (with lots of help thank you) me and my Sony 900 collections get along splendidly. Here's my new question: Is there a way to have a single title with multiple series entries? Example - I have a title which is book 6 in one series but is book 4 in a different series and I want to have a collection for both series names.

Also I think I saw in the users manual that you can change where calibre gets metadata but I wasn't clear how to do that. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by tponzo; 01-30-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: correction/clarity
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tponzo View Post
I am using calibre 0.7.43 on Win7/prof 64 bit. I love the tags feature and once I figured it out (with lots of help thank you) me and my Sony 900 collections get along splendidly. Here's my new question: Is there a way to have a single title with multiple series entries? Example - I have a title which is book 6 in one series but is book 4 in a different series and I want to have a collection for both series names.

Also I think I saw in the users manual that you can change where calibre gets metadata but I wasn't clear how to do that. Any help would be appreciated.
question 2 first: Have you been to the Preferences: Advanced: Plugins?
Take a peek at Metadata download?

question 1: Series is only 1 series name (and index).
(curious, how can a book belong to 2 series? Overlapping universe? )
For (sub-)series (cycles), I resort to hyphens:"Darkover-Clingfire". your (manual) choice on how to index (Place in sub-series, or over all series)
You might be able to create an alternate-series column and use a computed column, but I don't see the solution to the different index numbers.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
You can add a custom column for series type metadata.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
tponzo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks;1367613 question 1: Series is only 1 series name (and index).
([I
curious[/I], how can a book belong to 2 series? Overlapping universe? )
For (sub-)series (cycles), I resort to hyphens:"Darkover-Clingfire". your (manual) choice on how to index (Place in sub-series, or over all series)
You might be able to create an alternate-series column and use a computed column, but I don't see the solution to the different index numbers.
Jayne Ann Krentz writes under several pseudonyms with different series under each name. She has recently begun writing across series/genres. Ex - A book called Midnight Crystal written as Jayne Castle. This book is bk 12 of a Jayne Castle series called Harmony. It is also bk 3 in a multi-author trilogy called Dreamlight and also bk 11 of a Jayne Krentz series called Arcane.

I want to be able to be able to look up Dreamlight Trilogy and find it as bk 3 or Arcane and find it as bk 11 or Harmony and find it as bk 12.

Is there a way to do this in calibre? thank you.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Like I said, create custom series type columns.
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Jayne Ann Krentz writes under several pseudonyms with different series under each name. She has recently begun writing across series/genres. Ex - A book called Midnight Crystal written as Jayne Castle. This book is bk 12 of a Jayne Castle series called Harmony. It is also bk 3 in a multi-author trilogy called Dreamlight and also bk 11 of a Jayne Krentz series called Arcane.

I want to be able to be able to look up Dreamlight Trilogy and find it as bk 3 or Arcane and find it as bk 11 or Harmony and find it as bk 12.
Thankyou for the explanation. (And I thought multiple authors writing in a single, shared universe was bad

I know no way to assign 2 series and their index numbers and make a usefull export
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
tponzo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Like I said, create custom series type columns.
ok but is there a way to have it be in the metadata and index the books in order like the original series column does? I created a series 2 column from the series column (I think) but it just imported the series data from the original series column into series 2
Old 02-01-2011, 03:13 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
ok but is there a way to have it be in the metadata and index the books in order like the original series column does? I created a series 2 column from the series column (I think) but it just imported the series data from the original series column into series 2
Apart from it being a custom metadata column and thus appearing in the custom metadata part of the edit dialog, you can use the custom columns to sort, search and do whatever just like the original ones. It sounds like you picked the wrong columnn type, though- you built a column from other columns, what you need is to build a series info type column.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
tponzo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Apart from it being a custom metadata column and thus appearing in the custom metadata part of the edit dialog, you can use the custom columns to sort, search and do whatever just like the original ones. It sounds like you picked the wrong columnn type, though- you built a column from other columns, what you need is to build a series info type column.
thanks, but now I'm really confused. What is the difference between building a "series info type" column and building a column from other columns? I want the column to be able to have series name and index by number.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
thanks, but now I'm really confused. What is the difference between building a "series info type" column and building a column from other columns? I want the column to be able to have series name and index by number.
The difference is that in a composite column, you can only select which metadata fields the column will be built from, you can't edit the content of the fields themselves. A series type column adds what amounts to a new, additional series metadata field. Just try it and you'll see the difference.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #11
tponzo
Addict

it works!