Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you a better than average driver?
I am a very good driver. Among the very best there is. 12 19.67%
I am without doubt a better than average driver. 22 36.07%
I am just a little better than average driver. Most of the time. 11 18.03%
I am just a slightly worse than average driver. Usually. 4 6.56%
I am without doubt a worse than average driver. 2 3.28%
I am so bad at driving that I am surprised they let me. 2 3.28%
I don't drive. 8 13.11%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #61
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
But you ARE better than average driver. You are supposed to claim that despite any evidence to the contrary. We all do! ;-)

Just point out that you have never had insurance claim on your vehicle.
Just tell them that your car has never EVER been involved in accident and was never stopped by police. Your car has never been caught on camera running red light or exceeding speed limit!
I've had three insurance claims on my vehicle:

The first: the neighbour (though he denied it), scratched the side of the car, either with a bike or with the folding caravan he was putting the bike upon. The car was parked in a spot.

The second: I was in India, got home to find a huge scratch, all the way from the tail bumper to the front bumper, on the passenger side. Probably a driver that miscalculated his turn and took half my paint with it.

The third: another driver sided to drive into the side of my car.

Do those count against my ability to drive a car?

I have never been stopped by police. Can't wait till they finally ask me to take an alcohol blowing test, as I don't drink any alcohol!

Never got a speeding ticket, nor a red light ticket. Nor any other ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
nor been clamped, broken into, nor had a puncture or a light blown; and most importantly you've never run anyone over (in a car) and killed a hedgehog/rabbit/pheasant/deer [delete as applicable]

Never been clamped (I presume you mean a wheel clamp because you parked wrong?), never been broken into (though, I did leave the window wide open twice now, once in Pecs (Hungary) and once in Cologne (Germany), never un over anyone (probably would never get into a car if that happened!), never killed a hedgehog, braked often enough for a hare, but never ran over one, never hit a deer (though my husband did, once! Deer ran away...), pheasants also I've never had under my wheels, nor cats, ducks or doves (though those three often try to...)

I must be an awesome driver!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #62
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
how about all the flies splattered against your bonnet and windscreen ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:59 AM   #63
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I'm a very good driver. I don't even need to use both hands to drive. I'm also very skilfull. Sending text messages with my smartphone while driving is easy peasy. I also never arrive late, as I can drive very fast.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #64
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Erm have currently got 6 points for speeding and took a course to prevent getting another 3. Historically have had on average at least 3 speeding points at all times but full no claims for 15+ years, one accident two years ago non-fault.

Can reverse park into most reasonable spaces.

But was always told no matter how good a driver you are, there is always some wally on the road that could do you harm
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:30 AM   #65
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
in my list of desires that money can buy, at the first place there is a driver.
Spoiler:
A she driver?

my most recurrent open eyed dream contemplates owning and using for transportation a light armored vehicle.
Spoiler:
This would require that some of my rich uncles buys an insurance company.

I am crazingly considering the possibility of moving to a country where inhabitants use the bicycle to go to work. Danemark (30%) looks like a good choice. I have also the impression that they are more tolerant with cigarette smokers than others. That would be a good plus.
Spoiler:
If Ea keeps giving away kisses that might be just that drop I need.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:46 AM   #66
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
I always love these polls. It looks like the majority of drivers are above average.

It certainly seems like it.

And I actually belive that significantly more than half of all drivers consider themselves to be better drivers than average.

Is that good or bad?
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:01 AM   #67
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

bad.
It stimulates impatience
good
it stimulates patience and understanding
Old 09-07-2010, 03:10 AM   #68
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
I always love these polls. It looks like the majority of drivers are above average.
Ah yes, but the MR membership is, by definition, likely to be above average at anything.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:39 AM   #69
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
I am crazingly considering the possibility of moving to a country where inhabitants use the bicycle to go to work. Danemark (30%) looks like a good choice. I have also the impression that they are more tolerant with cigarette smokers than others. That would be a good plus.
One of the main reasons is the insanely high tax on cars here - 180% of the price. I don't think you'd like that. And if you lived in Jutland, outside a city, you'd need a car in any case. Though to be fair, public transportation is generally quite good.
Quote:
Begging for kisses won't work - they have to be earned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Ah yes, but the MR membership is, by definition, likely to be above average at anything.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #70
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Above average analphabetism?
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #71
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Spoiler:
I thought to suggest The Netherlands...but the spoiler spoiled it.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #72
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
how about all the flies splattered against your bonnet and windscreen ...
They deserve it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I thought to suggest The Netherlands...but the spoiler spoiled it.
Sorry, I don't give away kisses

Oh, and can a moderator add the missing option: I am the average driver?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #73
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
One of the main reasons is the insanely high tax on cars here - 180% of the price. I don't think you'd like that. And if you lived in Jutland, outside a city, you'd need a car in any case. Though to be fair, public transportation is generally quite good.
insanely matches crazily. and you drive on the left i think. no way. I will never learn to drive there. But wait, i wanted to go there because of the bicycles, you almost tricked me.

Quote:
Begging for kisses won't work - they have to be earned
Just the fact that there some around gives hope to the hoper (hopper?)
Old 09-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #74
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
insanely matches crazily. and you drive on the left i think. no way. I will never learn to drive there. But wait, i wanted to go there because of the bicycles, you almost tricked me.
Hmm, last time I was there, they drove on the right side... I think you're confused!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #75
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Perhaps you are too easy
No, we drive on the right. Once, they used to drive on the left in Sweden.

Quote:
Just the fact that there some around gives hope to the hoper (hopper?)
Only if you are a very, very good boy
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote