Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
verydeepwater
verydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Ipad and Kindle Fire
Floating left -right columuns in KF8 with different devices

With CSS it is possible to make a two column section within an epub by using div tags and floating them left or right. By converting the epub to mobi with kindlegen, I can get two columns (pic on left and text on right) to work in kindle fire but not on an e-ink kindle. Is it the case that floating does not work at all with e-ink kindles, even if they are kf8, or is there a way to get it to work?

A supplementary question is that while the text and images in side by side div tags looks fine on the kindle fire, on kindle previewer when Kindle Paperwhite is selected, the text overlaps the image and needs much higher margins to keep them apart. Is this an issue with Kindle Previewer or something to do with Paerwhite devices? Any help would be appreciated.
verydeepwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
verydeepwater
verydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Ipad and Kindle Fire
The answer is 'Yes you can'

I can now answer my own question: you can get text to float around images on e-ink kindles. I got this to work by setting the widths of the div tags in percentages rather than pixels.

I still have the problem that as the resolution of kindle fire is higher than e-ink kindles, the images are larger on the e-ink kindle. Thus to set a div tag wide enough to include the image on the e-ink kindle and leave the text a suitable distance to the right, means that there is a large gap between the image and the text in the kindle fire, where the image is much smaller.
verydeepwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Touch, Voyage
Thank you for providing that information.
JimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyG View Post
Thank you for providing that information.
This does NOT work on all e-ink Kindles. It works on KF8 enabled e-inks only (the Paperwhite, the newer 3 or 4's). It does NOT work on any KF7 devices, the Kindle, Kindle2 or DX, no matter how new. You cannot float images on any of the older or K7-compatible e-ink Kindles.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Touch, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
This does NOT work on all e-ink Kindles. It works on KF8 enabled e-inks only (the Paperwhite, the newer 3 or 4's). It does NOT work on any KF7 devices, the Kindle, Kindle2 or DX, no matter how new. You cannot float images on any of the older or K7-compatible e-ink Kindles.

Hitch
Well, kf8 is what verydeepwater was talking about. One of these days when I have the time, I'm going to write a test book to see just what my updated Touch will and won't do.
JimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyG View Post
Well, kf8 is what verydeepwater was talking about. One of these days when I have the time, I'm going to write a test book to see just what my updated Touch will and won't do.
I don't actually have a Touch. Our last Touch died, about...a year or so ago? So I don't have one to test upon. However, my understanding about the latest models is that they are KF8-enabled. I'm quite certain (100%) that if I'm wrong, someone else will be along shortly to say so. ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columns, css float command, e-ink kindles, kindle fire, mobi