Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 02:55 AM   #16
carstenx
carstenx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I think there's a good chance it will work. E.g. on most android devices this module can be compiled and loaded without replacing the kernel.

I'll try to compile the module and vpn in the next few days, if I find the time to do it.
carstenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
There are multiple places on the net with downloadable tun.ko. I downloaded the one from the debian repository with identical kernel version (except a -2 added on -- lenny). It is not recognized by insmod though (wrong gcc version -- kindle needs 4.1). It is reported that both the kernel version and the compiler version must match /proc/version. My build environment has a newer gcc, so I will have to get gcc 4.1 and compile tun.o with that.

There are detailed instructions out there for building and installing tun.ko for devices that do not have it compiled into the kernel. It might need static linking to eliminate dependencies -- not sure...

Here is one such thread:
http://stevechui.blogspot.com/2011/1...tunko-for.html

and another:
http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum...e-mybook-world

You should probably use the kernel sources for your kindle, rather than from the debian source repository, to build a loadable tun.ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenx View Post
I'll try to compile the module and vpn in the next few days, if I find the time to do it.
@carstenx: Be sure to use gcc 4.1.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-06-2011 at 11:11 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #18
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
You need to use the kindle source code to built a cross-tool chain, more symbol related errors will occur unless you find what else needs to be used in the cross-tool chain, binutils, etc.
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #19
carstenx
carstenx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm building my cross-compile toolchain right now... Do you know which exact gcc version I need to use? If you have console access:
$ dmesg | head
should print the gcc version the kernel was compiled with.
carstenx is offline   Reply With Quote