Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Airport Disaster Stories

The Corrupt-a-Wish thread with all of the references to Atlanta's great airport reminded me of my experiences there. (Not that Atlanta is the only one and this thread is for all airports anywhere in the world.)

I asked once if my connection could be on the the same tier at Atlanta. The travel coordinator came back and said not only were they on the same tier but only 2 gates away. Wonderful. Plus, I got to Atlanta at 9:30 and the connection left at 10:15.

Yeah, I get in at 9:30 am and the connection leaves at 10:15 pm.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Plenty of time to get to your next flight - but that's Atlanta for you.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Bleah.

I've spent rather a lot of time in Chicago O'Hare, myself. Between midwest thunderstorms in the summer and blizzards roaming the east coast in the winter, going between the two is prone with delays nearly any time of year. I'm supposed to be writing up some homework, so I'll save my best story for a later time.

However, I can't top the experiences of my coworkers who were stuck in the newly rebuilt Denver International Airport years ago. Blizzards made it impossible to get people in or out via ground transportation, and the planes were all grounded as well. For about 3 days, if I recall correctly. I understand a lively black market developed in disposable diapers.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've never had a disaster story. My Sony's made it just fine without a scratch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Ah Chicago, what would life have been in the 70s for me without all of those connections through O'Hare. I always seemed to connect there late in the night and sometimes the airport closed amid the storms or my connection flight just never made it in.

After a while even the collected business cards converted to a make-shift deck of cards for solitaire gets old and you start listening to the 3 am announcements, "Will Mr. Nixon, Mr. Richard Nixon, please pick up the white courtesy telephone...."
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Ah, O'Hare in Chicago. Last time I was there, I waited 3 hours on the tarmac during a thiunderstorm. Fun feeling the plane bounce up and down while sitting still on the ground. When the storm cleared, we were informed that it would take another 45 minutes to get the towers running again. The weather had been so bad that they had evacuated the control towers......
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Last April when American decided to fess up to not changing the oil on any of their planes for over three years "because we sort of forgot," we got caught in the whole mess. We were flying to Chile to start a cruise, but could not get there from here. AA cancelled our flight the day before we left and re-routed us through Miami on another airline with a red-eye from MIA to Chile. Trouble was, they could only get us there at noon the latest, leaving us a TEN HOUR LAYOVER IN MIAMI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT. With our luggage, since we had to get off one carrier and go to another, international carrier. Which was not open to take luggage until 8:00 PM. So we drug our luggage for a two week cruise around the airport, which does not have a decent restaurant outside security for eight hours.

There are only so many hours of watching interesting Miami people walk around before you go slowly mad.

Did I mention that my wife does not read? Or that she gets upset if I "disappear into a book?"

AAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Last April when American decided to fess up to not changing the oil on any of their planes for over three years "because we sort of forgot," we got caught in the whole mess. We were flying to Chile to start a cruise, but could not get there from here. AA cancelled our flight the day before we left and re-routed us through Miami on another airline with a red-eye from MIA to Chile. Trouble was, they could only get us there at noon the latest, leaving us a TEN HOUR LAYOVER IN MIAMI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT. With our luggage, since we had to get off one carrier and go to another, international carrier. Which was not open to take luggage until 8:00 PM. So we drug our luggage for a two week cruise around the airport, which does not have a decent restaurant outside security for eight hours.

There are only so many hours of watching interesting Miami people walk around before you go slowly mad.

Did I mention that my wife does not read? Or that she gets upset if I "disappear into a book?"

AAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Ahhhh, the old wifey-goes-ballistic-if-i-don't-answer-her-when-im-reading thingy. Been there, done that, and I never even got a t-shirt to show for it.

Usually when we are on hollidays, I read, and she's pissed becuase I don't answer her with more than a "Mhm" to anything she says
Slite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
note to self : in light of impending trip over-laden with flights, transfers, different companies and more airports than i hoped to see in my lifetime, and especially since i could easily add one or two stories of my own from past experiences, it is probably best for my blood-pressure and pre-departure state of mind to avoid this thread meticulously. seriously. what am i thinking, reading this ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:42 AM   #10
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Seems my wife isn't the only one experiencing some jacked-up issues with flying lately. Recently she was on an international flight to San Anotonio from Tokyo and then catch another flight in the early AM to Atlanta, well the flight got diverted into Oklahoma City on the pretense of weather. When they landed they were informed there were "mechanical problems" and no one could deplane since OKC is not an international terminal. So, they sat on the ground for 6 hours before taking off to DFW where they wouldn't make it in time to catch any connectors; i.e, landed around midnight. The earliest flight the next morning wouldn't get her to SAT in time to catch her flight to ATL, so we had to book for a later flight... and pay a $50 fee. Secondly, the flight couldn't be changed until 3-hours prior to the flight (meanhwile, she'd be in the air at that time and couldn't call herself, so I had to stay up do make arrangements from Tokyo)! To add insult to injury, she was booked for a night in the Hilton and when I called with plenty of time for them to fill it, they adamantly refused a refund even after I explained the flight issues.

She eventually made it to ATL, but only got about 3 hours sleep in DFW before having to go back for her flight to SAT, but didn't have any issues catching the flight from there to ATL. While American Airlines would have flown her to ATL for free (one-way), Delta informed us that they would cancel the return trip if she didn't fly on the first leg. The American Airlines people were the best help and extremely apologetic, but Delta's support sucked really bad, especially since it's farmed out to overseas. I had to dial their number direct instead of using the 800-number to get a person in the states who could understand what was going on and wasn't simply reading from a script.

Needless to say, we won't be using Delta airlines anytime in the near future; I'll be avoiding them like the plague. This sucks, because they used to be a good airline that I enjoyed flying with. Regarding Hilton, I filed a charge-back with my CC to recoup those losses and we'll be submitting that bill & the extra we had to pay to change her flight to American Airlines in hopes that they'll made things nice again.

And then... Sunday in ATL on the return trip to SAT, there were so many people in line and things were so FUBAR that she missed her flight and couldn't get booked until late last night. The travel portion of her trip has been hell, and it all seems to center on Delta (at least the way I see it, but AA originally got the call rolling).

Whew!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #11
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
note to self : in light of impending trip over-laden with flights, transfers, different companies and more airports than i hoped to see in my lifetime, and especially since i could easily add one or two stories of my own from past experiences, it is probably best for my blood-pressure and pre-departure state of mind to avoid this thread meticulously. seriously. what am i thinking, reading this ?
I wonder about your masochistic tendencies at times.

$125, please, you can pay the Luddite at the entrance to the Supersecret Escape Tunnel, which Neko Chan avoids and actually denies exists, which is, in fact an exit to the Miami International Airport, where you will be forever cursed to watch strangely dressed men wrapping suitcases in plastic wrap before Homeland Security demands that they be unwrapped. The suitcases, not the strangely dress men.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #12
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:

$125, please, you can pay the Luddite at the entrance to the Supersecret Escape Tunnel, which Neko Chan avoids and actually denies exists, which is, in fact an exit to the Miami International Airport, where you will be forever cursed to watch strangely dressed men wrapping suitcases in plastic wrap before Homeland Security demands that they be unwrapped. The suitcases, not the strangely dress men.
Darn it... that whole thing would have made more sense if homeland security had meant the strangely dressed men instead of the suitcases. I thought I had it all figured out until that last sentence.... Oh well...
Slite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:

i think you're right. 125$ you say ? probably cheap at the price... but could i at least tell you about my mother before i head for the Supersecret Escape Tunnel ? isn't that sort of standard practice ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:57 AM   #14
pshrynk

Tell me about your mother.

$125, please, you can pay the Luddite at the entrance to the Super Secret Escape Tunnel which Neko Chan blah blah blah...
Old 09-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
....which Neko Chan avoids and actually denies exists, which is, in fact an exit to the Miami International Airport....
In which case, can you blame me for avoiding it???
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
unutterable silliness