Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
miller44
miller44 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Caliber converting PDF to MOBI what am I doing wrong?

Hi there, I donated to help support calibre and tried to search for the answer to this, sorry if it's redundant, but I am tech challenged. Here's the problem:

I convert pdf to mobi and usually it works great but for some reason this one PDF file I coverted (full book) has stuff like this popping up all over the place in the mobi, but it's not in the PDF:

Interior_MBE_26_11.indd 1
26/11/2006 14:06:39
Interior_MBE_26_11.indd 2
26/11/2006 14:06:39

Is there some setting for the conversion that will get rid of that. I feel like I have tried them all and nothing makes a difference.

Thanks,
Miller.
miller44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That text will be in the PDF, but it could have been set to be hidden. You could use the calibre facility for removing headers/footers to get rid of it.

That option is under the Structure detection part of the conversion settings. You will have to construct a Regex expression to identify the text to be removed. This can look a little daunting the first time, but if you use the wizard available from the setting screen in conjunction with the regex tutorial in the calibre user manual this is not normally too hard.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
miller44
miller44 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Good Gawd! RegEx? I was hoping for a check box of some kind. Okay I'll look into it, thanks for responding.
miller44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller44 View Post
Good Gawd! RegEx? I was hoping for a check box of some kind. Okay I'll look into it, thanks for responding.
The problem is that the strings that need to be removed are nearly always specific to a particular file so there is no easy checkbox way to do this.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote