Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #31
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmay View Post
I'm a wannabe graphic artist with absolutely no talent, but I bought a Wacom tablet to mess around with. It came with Photoshop Elements, so I can do some photoshoppy-type stuff. It's fun. I do wish I could draw & paint though!

The artwork was done by a real artist. I'm just handling the text.
Hi KC, et al,

don't sell yourself short - I think you've done a fine job with all the alternatives. Of the 3 on offer, I'd lean towards #14.

If you have a Wacom, then that is a great start. They're great, and I've used them for years. I have a big Bamboo that lets me use fingers and stylus.

And if you want to have a play with some software, Inkscape (Illustrator clone) is very powerful and free, and there are some free painting programs around that are quite worthwhile.

All the best,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #32
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Thanks for the tip! I'll check out Inkscape. I love open source software.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #33
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmay View Post
I'm a wannabe graphic artist with absolutely no talent, but I bought a Wacom tablet to mess around with. It came with Photoshop Elements, so I can do some photoshoppy-type stuff. It's fun. I do wish I could draw & paint though!

The artwork was done by a real artist. I'm just handling the text.
That's what I was getting at. I've been playing with Gimp and Inkscape for a while. Just check out all of the cover art threads that me and MoeJoe have started over the years.

I'm trying to learn how to draw actual characters instead of the cheap excuses for artwork that I've been doing lately. It's probably just a distraction to keep me from working on Ashes of Autumn. . . =)
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #34
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
It's nice too when you can have a dedicated art workstation. My main work machine is a tiny eeeBox PC but when it comes to really working hard in Inkscape I have to move over to the AMD dual-core workstation so that the system doesn't choke down and hamper my flow.

I agree that it's fantastic that OpenSource is bringing to us all these very good tools now. Sure, there's still a long way to go on some of them to make them the same level as top-ranking commercial products, however by a wide margin they already offer more features than what we are using. We did the entire "Tree of Life" all using Open Source software - it's a great feeling to be able to do that and have the fantastic quality output (Really, when it comes to typesetting and quality output almost nothing beats TeX).

Paul
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote