Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
Peter Ahlstrom
Connoisseur
Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Uploading ePub to KDP allows >127K images in mobi (hooray!) but strips embedded fonts

Okay so...we know that kindlegen and Kindle Previewer both convert images to a max of 127K. But the Kindle forma specifications say that images can be up to 5 MB.

So on a hunch, I made a new book in KDP and uploaded an epub that has a 250k image and a 350k image. KDP says it's converting to Kindle format. When it finishes, I download the preview .mobi file, run it through KindleUnpack, and sure enough, the 250K and 350K images are both in there (in both the mobi7 and mobi8 versions), uncompressed. And the images view fine in Kindle Previewer.

So, awesome.

But my embedded fonts are now gone. Not awesome.

If I look at the css file in the mobi8 folder generated by KindleUnpack, it says:

@font-face {font-family:"OrientExpress";font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;src:url(XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX);}
@font-face {font-family:"ParmaPetit";font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;src:url(XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX);}

Literally, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is in there. I'm not greeking it.

And if I use KDP's online previewer option, the fonts are gone from there too.

So... Any ideas?
Peter Ahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:59 AM   #2
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Are you sure the font family names matches the actual font names?

Just to clarify, you need to open the font file you want to embed and copy paste the exact name to the font-family rule in your CSS file. (see attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	284
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	129731  
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Peter Ahlstrom
Connoisseur
Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why would I need to do that? When I run this exact epub through kindlegen and Kindle Previewer, the fonts stay embedded and work perfectly. I also already have another book published on KDP since June (uploaded as a .mobi) that uses those exact font files and CSS, and the font shows up fine.

But just to be thorough I just now changed the font names to "Orient Express" and "ParmaPetit-Normal" to match the Info window font names and reuploaded the epub to KDP. The resulting mobi file still has the error.

EDIT: Never mind. I'm getting the error even after uploading a working .mobi file. Therefore, the issue must be the same as the one described in the thread "Months of Runaround From KDP Support: Font Embedding Fails." I will simply have to search through the html and apply the workarounds talked about there.

So this thread should be closed. Thanks!

Last edited by Peter Ahlstrom; 10-16-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ahlstrom View Post
Why would I need to do that? When I run this exact epub through kindlegen and Kindle Previewer, the fonts stay embedded and work perfectly. I also already have another book published on KDP since June (uploaded as a .mobi) that uses those exact font files and CSS, and the font shows up fine.

But just to be thorough I just now changed the font names to "Orient Express" and "ParmaPetit-Normal" to match the Info window font names and reuploaded the epub to KDP. The resulting mobi file still has the error.

EDIT: Never mind. I'm getting the error even after uploading a working .mobi file. Therefore, the issue must be the same as the one described in the thread "Months of Runaround From KDP Support: Font Embedding Fails." I will simply have to search through the html and apply the workarounds talked about there.

So this thread should be closed. Thanks!
Peter:

That may not be the issue. That particular issue was unique to his book; I know, because I spent a few days troubleshooting it with him. What's unique about your situation is that you're saying that the font FILES are still in the MOBI that you've unpacked, is that right? I don't mean, named in the CSS; I mean, that the font files themselves are still in the MOBI? (In a fonts folder in the OEBPS?) The entire set of files?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
Peter Ahlstrom
Connoisseur

Actually I'm pretty sure the problem was the same, since I tried the solutions and they worked. Though it's hard to say for sure which solution worked, since I did two solutions at once: getting rid of multiple class notation (most of these were sigil_not_in_toc, but one of them was an actual substantive multiple class notation) and explicitly classing both types of h2 headers that used different fonts.

And yes, before doing those solutions, the embedded font files were stripped completely and did not appear in the mobi file structure as shown by kindleunpack.

It was only after that that I had the issue with the individual embedded characters dropping out, that I mentioned in that other thread.
Advert