Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
ZoeRochelle
Sigil Addict
ZoeRochelle began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad Air 2
Change case tool

I searched for this information in the user manual for Calibre and here and had no luck in finding an answer. Hoping you all can help.

I am begrudgingly trying to get used to using Calibre instead of Sigil. I love Sigil! But as it is slowing going to be obsolete I figure its time to switch.

Question: Sigil has change case tools that are default icons in the toolbar. I can't find them anywhere in Calibre's editor, toolbar or not. Are they hiding or just not there (yet)?
ZoeRochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeRochelle View Post
I searched for this information in the user manual for Calibre and here and had no luck in finding an answer. Hoping you all can help.

I am begrudgingly trying to get used to using Calibre instead of Sigil. I love Sigil! But as it is slowing going to be obsolete I figure its time to switch.

Question: Sigil has change case tools that are default icons in the toolbar. I can't find them anywhere in Calibre's editor, toolbar or not. Are they hiding or just not there (yet)?
Probably (might be never, it is up to Kovid) , not there yet.
Remember, The Calibre editor is/started at V 1.x, Sigil was(0 .)7.4
I personally used 6 versions of Sigil. Each was a refinement
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
ZoeRochelle
Sigil Addict

I have used Sigil for years also, many versions! Thank you for the reply. I am not complaining, just wanted to be certain I wasn't overlooking it.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
This is not something can be done in regex either as I understand it.

This has been a requested feature, but Kovid does things based on demand, his notion of importance and how hard it is to implement.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
This is not something can be done in regex either as I understand it.

This has been a requested feature, but Kovid does things based on demand, his notion of importance and how hard it is to implement.
Perhaps Kovid could post a sticky list of features that he has in mind to do, if and when he chooses to do. Be even better if each had a poll (yes please, no thanks, don't care) - but that might be hard to do at MB.

Suggest list be maintained in alphabetical sequence, lest anyone reads any other sort of order into the list

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I dislike posting lists of things I intend to do. I like having the freedom to work on what I want, when I want. A list of things I plan to do is too much like having a boss.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:59 AM   #7
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Correct. +1

If we do not take care, Kovid will get lost on "I need urgently this and that". He is implementing an editor with all kind of nice ribbons, making all bug corrections of the editor. Besides he is supporting the main Calibre and the forum.

My own wish list is surely big too but I like how he is implementing his ideas and how this will be altered in our discussions here for good solutions. I also like to take time and look what he will implement next time. Step by step.

He surely knows Sigil and most of the implemented functionalities. Sigil had a long time to grow. I am wondering all the time how fast it went up in Calibre and how good functions are running already w/o bigger problems. Guess this is most important for all of us.

This is not meant as criticism - more as hint that it need time to do things in the right way. I think this also holds good for Kovid magic hands.

Last edited by Divingduck; 04-02-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Change to upper or lower case can be done by Phrase Express until it is available in the editor. Check the list under Macros.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
ZoeRochelle
Sigil Addict

Thank you mrmikel, I will try that.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
mrmikel
Color me gone

The macros allow you to wrap anything around selected text. I got it to do that for paragraphs, though Kovid has got it going to paragraphs in the next release. The only trick is that it writes to and pastes from the clipboard. I'd have to be careful not to have something I want on the clipboard blasted away by this trick. However, there are some clipboard tricks associated with Phrase Express I haven't gotten to yet. Maybe it wouldn't.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
The only trick is that it writes to and pastes from the clipboard. I'd have to be careful not to have something I want on the clipboard blasted away by this trick.
@mrmikel - IIRC Phrase Express has a clipboard history function, that operates a LIFO list (stack) - cant recall if it's available by default, but pretty sure its there somewhere. IMO a clipboard extender is de rigueur, should be in OS.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-03-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@mrmikel - IIRC Phrase Express has a clipboard history function, that operates a LIFO list (stack) - cant recall if it's available by default, but pretty sure its there somewhere. IMO a clipboard extender is de rigueur, should be in OS.
You do remember correctly. I'd just like to thank you guys for drawing my attention to Phrase Express, I think I'll get a lot of use out of it
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You do remember correctly. I'd just like to thank you guys for drawing my attention to Phrase Express, I think I'll get a lot of use out of it
I use Shelltoys (its a tool box) for clipboard stack and snippets. Not as fancy as Phrase Express but they get the job done, Shelltoys has been around in various guises since at least W2000, so its very familiar to me - legacy legacy, sins of the past, and all that

If you ever need a gadget to scrub the crud out of clipboard text (HTML, XML etc) then Clipboard Fusion does a good job.

I prefer 'use anywhere' tools to 'application specific tools'; then I can do the same thing whether I'm in Notepad, Word, Calibre Book Editor, Notepad++, Sigil, VS Editor etc etc.

BR