Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-05-2008, 01:34 AM   #1
skivob
skivob began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi from Kentucky

I'm new here. I joined trying to find some of the pros and cons of the Kindle and the Sony e-reader. My wife has arthritis in her hands and I think an e-book will be easier to hold. I think I've found the right spot for this information. Thanks for any tips or info.
skivob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello skivob, lots of good advice here. I'm not sure if she would find an e-reader easier to hold or not. Be nice if she could try one before buying
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Hello skivob, lots of good advice here. I'm not sure if she would find an e-reader easier to hold or not. Be nice if she could try one before buying
I was able to hold a Sony PRS 505 in a large Borders bookstore. That was about 2 weeks after I had bought a Kindle from Amazon. I'd be concerned about the Kindle since the page-turning buttons dominate the sides of the device. That may make it more difficult for her to hold the Kindle with its restricted space. The weight of the Kindle is about that of a small paperback book -- the Sony is even lighter. Regardless of which reader you might decide to get, you might also consider using a table or stand so that she doesn't have to *hold* it while reading.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi skivob and welcome to the Forum. Good advice from Elsi. A stand would probably make it easier for you wife to use an ebook reader
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:27 AM   #5
skivob
skivob began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the replies. Her arthritis is not bad but she has trouble with large novels. We would like to be able to hold a sony and a kindle before investing in one. It looks like I may have trouble with the sony because I use a Mac. It looks like there is more options for downloading with the sony but most of it runs with windows. I'm truly grateful for any info and/or ideas that you care to share.Thanks.
skivob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by skivob View Post
Thanks for the replies. Her arthritis is not bad but she has trouble with large novels. We would like to be able to hold a sony and a kindle before investing in one. It looks like I may have trouble with the sony because I use a Mac. It looks like there is more options for downloading with the sony but most of it runs with windows. I'm truly grateful for any info and/or ideas that you care to share.Thanks.
The Sony 505 mounts as a drive on the Mac without problem. So, you can just copy books over to it. Of course, you won't be able to use/buy from the Sony ebook store... which to me is no loss.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote