It's awesome, I want one instead of Kindle 4 1.90%
It's awesome but my Kindle is better for me 40 18.96%
Nothing spectacular really 159 75.36%
It's a gamechanger, time will show 8 3.79%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #61
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Go for it. I managed to skip getting a K2 so I think I am pretty good at knowing what I am likely to buy or not.

And I doubt Amazon will put out a Kindle with an LCD screen
Oh I'm not talking about you, I referring to the rest of the kindle crowd.

Kind of reminds me of when iPhone owner's which I was one of them, would react to Android phone owners when Android owners would tout how they had multitasking and customization.

iPhone owners would respond "Who cares,who needs it,it useless etc."

now that they FINALLY got, it's now "oh it's great and this and that"

and never doubt the unknown. If and if is a big word right now. But if this is a runnaway success then Amazon will have to respond. The pace eink is moving is just waay too slow, way to slow. Think about it. Eink has been around for a few years even before Amazon got their paws on it. And in the past 5 to 6 years the best eink has right now is Pearl Screen? Really?
Sony, who is not short on tech, R&D etc, was finally able to sort polish up it's touchscreen.

LCD and good OS's are moving at lightning pace. And the best eink has to offer in the past 6 years is a little bit better contrast, is pretty bad.

eInk R&D has to pick up the pace.

you also have to remember us here on this forum are but a very very small drop in the bucket in the real world. We are not the masses.

I will most likely get the nook color, but I do also will prefer to read my books on my original nook but for newspapers and magazines and surfing the web.
This is great device.
I was ready to get the Samsung Galaxy S but this is $250 and I can run my important apps on my Droid X and so spending half the money with no contract to do what I would only do on the Galaxy Tab makes a boat load of sense.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #62
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I didn't buy a Kindle for the Kindle. I bought it for access to the Kindle bookstore. The Kindle itself is fine but nothing special. But, the books. So many books. So easy to get. Reasonably priced...usually.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #63
c861556
Enthusiast
c861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Hmm I'm willing to take a poll of how many you kindle fans would do a complete 180 if and when Amazon releases an LCD color ereader tablet.

My guess 90% of you
I don't know if you heard, but the liquid-crystal display technology is old as hell. Even without the new Nook in the picture, if I actually wanted to use LCD for reading—which I really don't—I'd have no trouble acquiring virtually identical functionality in the form of an iPad, a lightweight laptop, a netbook, a Samsung Galaxy tab, or a whole bunch of similar LCD tablets that are scheduled to come out within the next few months. Guess again.
c861556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #64
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c861556 View Post
I don't know if you heard, but the liquid-crystal display technology is old as hell. Even without the new Nook in the picture, if I actually wanted to use LCD for reading—which I really don't—I'd have no trouble acquiring virtually identical functionality in the form of an iPad, a lightweight laptop, a netbook, a Samsung Galaxy tab, or a whole bunch of similar LCD tablets that are scheduled to come out within the next few months. Guess again.
Ok ill remember this post when the kindle tablet comes out and you drooling and fawning and proclaiming how much a genius jeff bezzos is
Old 10-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #65
c861556
Enthusiast
c861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Ok ill remember this post when the kindle tablet comes out and you drooling and fawning and proclaiming how much a genius jeff bezzos is
Yeah, good luck with that. Buying an e-ink reader was the best thing I've done in years. Right now I can only see myself interested in bigger screen, better PDF support, improved refresh rates, and things like that. I'm not even particularly excited about the idea of switching from grayscale. Perhaps one reason for this is that I really don't read that many books that contain colored illustrations...
c861556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #66
jonahemery
jonahemery began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
The Nook isn't even a contender for me because I live in Canada. Only Kobo and Amazon are global services. Since the Kobo eReader is buggy as hell, I'm happy I switched to Kindle.
jonahemery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #67
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
hehehheheh If Amazon puts out a Kindle that is backlit then Jeff Bezos is gonna have to eat a ton of his words. In every interview he gives he talks about how there will be a color Kindle when there is a non-backlit color screen that works well enough. That is not to say that it won't happen, just highly unlikely.

Amazon has already responded, they have an app for Android.

Nook Color is not an e-reader so there is no reason for Amazon to respond. Just like they didn't respond when Apple released the IPad. They are different devices that do different things. The Nook Color and IPad just happen to be able to read e-books.

To say that Amazon has to respond with a similar screen then makes me wonder why Amazon has not put out its own line of netbooks and laptops, all of which can be used to read e-books.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:27 PM   #68
mcooke66
Connoisseur
mcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook ST - Nook 1st Gen
Quote:
hehehheheh If Amazon puts out a Kindle that is backlit then Jeff Bezos is gonna have to eat a ton of his words. In every interview he gives he talks about how there will be a color Kindle when there is a non-backlit color screen that works well enough. That is not to say that it won't happen, just highly unlikely.

Nook Color is not an e-reader so there is no reason for Amazon to respond. Just like they didn't respond when Apple released the IPad. They are different devices that do different things. The Nook Color and IPad just happen to be able to read e-books.

To say that Amazon has to respond with a similar screen then makes me wonder why Amazon has not put out its own line of netbooks and laptops, all of which can be used to read e-books.
I bet Amazon will announce some kind of color device in 6 months it may be color eInk, but it will be something.

if I have to eat my words at least use small ones
mcooke66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #69
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

He has always said they are aiming for color just nothing backlit. Which is why I would be surprised if Amazon announced an e-reader with a LCD screen. I will not be surprised if Amazon announces a color e-ink screen.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #70
LakeLoon
Wanderer
LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
I give Amazon credit for business savvy. Releasing a "me too" LCD-based color tablet seems rather pointless; there are already plenty of color LCD devices that can read books sold by Amazon. However, being one of the first to release a reflective color (Mirasol etc.) device, coupled with a lot of new color content (graphic novels, magazines, cookbooks, travel guides, textbooks) . . . now you've got something to take the market by storm.

Say what you want about Apple, they're not big on releasing "me too" devices. The folks at Amazon are smart enough to take note.
LakeLoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #71
boswd
Banned

Quote:

I disagree, just because something isn't eink doesn't mean it's not an ereader. The ipad primary function is to do something of everything.
Nook color's primary function is to read books and periodals

Why does it being color lcd automatically make it not an ereader, that is such an odd way to look at things.

So if the kindle with mirasol comes out, which also a type of LCD just so you know and does all the similiar functions that the nook color does that not make it an ereader?

your logic doesn't make sense.

LCD you are not and ereader
anything but LCD then yes you are an ereader.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #72
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

They are advertising it as a tablet. A tablet is not an e-reader. A tablet is a multi functional device that can be used to read e-books. An e-reader does not have microsoft office, full web capacity, full email capacity, and full video capacity. An e-reader is used to read books and maybe has a few other basic services attached to it.

If Amazon were to put a tablet out, I would say it is a tablet and not an e-reader.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #73
boswd
Banned

They're marketing this as an ereader tablet. It's using the adroid 2.1 OS to build an ereading centered system.

Prof there are ebooks out now that have video built in. this you can not do at this point in time with eink.

you can browse the web, check your email, play music on your kindle as well. Does that make it a netbook?

yes there are extra fun add on stuff. That' just taking advantage of what you can do with LCD Tech and the OS they are using.

Eink the extra add on are limited due to the limitations of the tech. But they are fun add ons as well.
Doesn't the kindle keep adding on some more games? Does this make it a handheld electronic game (though it sure does look like one from the 80's)
and no longer just an ereader?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #74
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I know that there are e-books with video. Right now they hold no interest for me. I buy books to read. (shrugs)

I don't have a problem with tablets, I just think that B&N is silly to try and compete in the tablet market. They could easily have released an app that allows people to buy the interactive books available from Nook on their tablets and PC's. They make the money from the books and don't take a huge risk on a device that is likely to be quickly surplanted by other tablets.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #75
boswd
Banned

Quote:
I know that there are e-books with video. Right now they hold no interest for me. I buy books to read. (shrugs)

I don't have a problem with tablets, I just think that B&N is silly to try and compete in the tablet market. They could easily have released an app that allows people to buy the interactive books available from Nook on their tablets and PC's. They make the money from the books and don't take a huge risk on a device that is likely to be quickly surplanted by other tablets.
but an app has limitations as well. this is an entire Operating system built around ereading, there's a big difference. An app is just that an application

well here's their inhouse demo/commericial like thing then tell me what you think

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookco...?cds2Pid=30919